Embassy Suites on Hotels.com vs booking directly

sampup333

I have been watching the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale/17th Street for a 1/22/15 stay. It has stayed at a rate of $259. Tonight I saw $169 on Hotels.com, but I don't love booking through a third party. I called Embassy Suites and they could not match it. They did not offer me anything other than the $259. I called Hotels.com and booked on the phone through them and did get the $169 rate. The rate was so different I figured it was worth it. Can anyone shed any light on why the rates would be so different and if I should be worried about booking through a 3rd party? The rate is cancel-able, so I did not have to pre-pay or make a non-refundable booking. Thanks for your help.

Hotels.com is very reputable. Don't worry. Generally hotels won't match third party sites. Make sure you call the hotel in a few days to reconfirm and get a hotel reservation number. What one always should do when you use a booking site.

Have fun.

Can anyone shed any light on why the rates would be so different and if I should be worried about booking through a 3rd party? The rate is cancel-able, so I did not have to pre-pay or make a non-refundable booking. Thanks for your help.

Make sure you call the hotel in a few days to reconfirm and get a hotel reservation number. What one always should do when you use a booking site.

Have fun.

We were in an Embassy in the Miami area when friends drove in to surprise us. The booked through a 3rd party. Got a GREAT rate. They decided that they wanted to stay longer to visit with us. They went to the front desk to extend their stay and wanted the same rate. They were told by the front desk that they didn't even have rates that low. They showed their reservation receipt to the hostess. She said "I can't give you that rate. We don't offer it! What I would do is go to our business center and make another reservation online. You can get the same price that you paid for the last two nights!" ? ! :eek:

I would call to make sure that your reservation is in their system a few days ahead of time. I would also try and arrive in the mid afternoon to early evening IF possible so that you don't get a "left over" room! :(

I have booked the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale on 17th Street a few times using www.lmtclub.com and have always gotten great rates..Much better than booking with the hotel directly or with Hilton MVP..usually online booking sites have bulk rates. LMT Club has easy cancellation and have never had any problem when checking in as it's already been paid for...I too call the front desk at ES and only have to give them my last name (used when booking) and they easily verify/confirm my reservation.

Embassy is VERY popular with cruisers. They aren't going to offer any deal at their front desk. Plus lots of cruiselines use this hotel for their land packages. If not booked ahead, they offer a few rooms to discount. Rare in the winter months. You got a great rate for Jan.

IMO this hotel is not worth the rate it charges in the winter months. If we can get a hotel by the beach , why would we choose this chain? Convenient for a one night stay, sure. And lots here totally love the place. But... coming from the midwest in Jan. or Feb...we want to see sand and water.;) And we try to avoid the chain hotels and restaurants we have at home when vacationing if possible.

also look at hiltonfamilymvp.com if you are a hilton honors member

I have never seen this Embassy Suites offered on the MVP program during the winter season. Bahia Mar and Hilton Marina, sometimes yes.

Edited by eandj

I have been watching the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale/17th Street for a 1/22/15 stay. It has stayed at a rate of $259. Tonight I saw $169 on Hotels.com, but I don't love booking through a third party. I called Embassy Suites and they could not match it. They did not offer me anything other than the $259. I called Hotels.com and booked on the phone through them and did get the $169 rate. The rate was so different I figured it was worth it. Can anyone shed any light on why the rates would be so different and if I should be worried about booking through a 3rd party? The rate is cancel-able, so I did not have to pre-pay or make a non-refundable booking. Thanks for your help.

Hilton will match the rate if you find something lower within 24 hours of booking and everything is the same with the room type and cancellation policy. Plus they will send you a $25 amex gift card after you stay.

I have done this numerous times.

Hotels.com is very reputable. Don't worry. Generally hotels won't match third party sites. Make sure you call the hotel in a few days to reconfirm and get a hotel reservation number. What one always should do when you use a booking site.

Have fun.

I agree and have a great cruise..

Its $207 per night plus tax. Higher than we normally pay in November but we like the location and the pool (but wondering if one can realistically use the pool in February). Hey we're from Canada, we'll probably have the 70 degree pool all to ourselves. I've been watching rates for awhile - they've dropped this past week. You can get the Galleria One for $175. But, the location and breakfast are worth a bit more, to us. I didn't see any AAA (CAA) rate that came close to this.

Is the LMT Club free or is there a charge?

There is usually some kind of free join up code. Not sure what they are running now. See if you can find any offers on lastminutetravel.com for the LMTClub. Or someone here might know on that is running for the summer if you ask on a new thread topic to get attention.

Somewhat off topic... if you book through hotels.com, can you still earn points and collect any status benefits through the chain's (i.e., Hilton's) frequent guest program?

We have had points added at some hotels when booking third party. Other times, not. I don't think there is a definitve yes or no answer. We always ask at the desk when we check in if we could add our member number.

Edited by eandj

We have had points added at some hotels when booking third party. Other times, not. I don't think there is a definitve yes or no answer. We always ask at the desk when we check in if we could add our member number.

Thanks. I think you are correct that it all depends. Since I posted my question, I sent an email inquiry to Marriott about this regarding a future stay. They said that I would not earn points, but I would received my Gold status benefits.

I was able to join for a year free by using the code JOINCLUB2014. I found this through retailmenot.com

I used no code when I signed up and it's been well over a year (almost 2) and have never been asked for a membership fee. Usually if you just go through the online signup process the fee is automatically waived.