Kiel, Germany?

We are debating between two different cruises this summer. One is Holland America's that includes a stop in Kiel. I can't find much info about this port and what there is to do. There are not many excursions offered by the ship. The other itinerary we are considering is the Princess with stops in Oslo and Gdansk, no Germany at all. Holland gets bonus points because it starts in London and ends in Copenhagen which would give us a chance to spend a little more time in two different places. Any input would be appreciated.

We are debating between two different cruises this summer. One is Holland America's that includes a stop in Kiel. I can't find much info about this port and what there is to do. There are not many excursions offered by the ship. The other itinerary we are considering is the Princess with stops in Oslo and Gdansk, no Germany at all. Holland gets bonus points because it starts in London and ends in Copenhagen which would give us a chance to spend a little more time in two different places. Any input would be appreciated.

Kiel itself is somehow a little boring.

A famous German actor who was born in Kiel said:

nice to live there - but it's no tourist attraction:

BUT you can easily go to

Lübeck - UNESCO World Heritage

2009Luebeck01-vi.jpg

Laboe - Navy History:

2009Laboe04-vi.jpg

Eutin - Malente - Plön - The Lake district

2009Eutin06-vi.jpg

2009Ploen10-vi.jpg

Hamburg

2009Hamburg01-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 1 month later...

We're going to be on that Holland America cruise and we were thinking of doing the tour in Kiel of Castles, Lakes and Roses. I've heard the scenery is beautiful out in the countryside. I don't think there's too much in Kiel except for WWII submarines, etc

although I've heard there's a botanical garden there.

We are thinking of not taking an excusion from Kiel, just to try and save a bit of money somewhere.:eek:

Since that will be our last port, by then we might be ready to just wander around and shop a bit. Can anyone tell me if Kiel is a nice city for that? It is on the water, so perhaps there will be a place to just sit and relax and try some German Beer? Anyone with experience doing just that?

We are thinking of not taking an excusion from Kiel, just to try and save a bit of money somewhere.:eek:

Since that will be our last port, by then we might be ready to just wander around and shop a bit. Can anyone tell me if Kiel is a nice city for that? It is on the water, so perhaps there will be a place to just sit and relax and try some German Beer? Anyone with experience doing just that?

Depends to the weekday you are in Kiel:

If it is a Sunday: only Central Stations with few small shops is open for purchases.

Best is to see in my blog:

http://www.heinbloed-on-tour.de

There you find many impressions from Kiel.

You can turn to the right from the Cruise Terminal and you find along side of the waterfront some nice restaurants where you can just sit at the promenade and have some beer.

I am not a beer drinker so no idea if it is good.

In about 10 minutes walking distance there is German inn with a house-brewery:

http://www.kieler-brauerei.de/

If you go on my blog you see the shopping mile and there it is around Alter Markt.

Regards

HeinBloed

We are debating between two different cruises this summer. One is Holland America's that includes a stop in Kiel. I can't find much info about this port and what there is to do. There are not many excursions offered by the ship. The other itinerary we are considering is the Princess with stops in Oslo and Gdansk, no Germany at all.

I have to admit that I have not been to Kiel, but based on what is being said here, I would definitely opt for the Olso and Gdansk ports. Does either one go through the Kiel Canal? That was certainly worth a 'day at sea' to see.

Just my reaction.

Edited by Lair Bear

HeinBloed - Based on some of your previous posts on Kiel, we have organized a train tour from Kiel to Lubeck, Eutin and Ploen in July, and wish to thank you for all your help.

Cheers,

Dave

HeinBloed - Based on some of your previous posts on Kiel, we have organized a train tour from Kiel to Lubeck, Eutin and Ploen in July, and wish to thank you for all your help.

Cheers,

Dave

You are very welcome.

A good combination - I am sure that you will have a good time.

Regards

HeinBloed

Are these walking distances from the Pier?

A. U 995/Naval Memorial

Yes - and no...

Yes - in total 15-20 minutes walking...

No - if you do not stop walking all the time while you are on the ferry...

This would be the distance from the ferry ship to the cruise ship...

2009Laboe01-vi.jpg

and the walk from the ferry station in Laboe in the village to the location of the submarine all the longside of the beach...

2009Laboe13-vi.jpg

2009Laboe26-vi.jpg

what is located at the foot of the Laboe Navy Memorial:

2009Laboe04-vi.jpg

Here you find the ferry schedule:

http://www.sfk-kiel.de/en/ferries/fjord/index.php

The stop at the cruise terminal is Seegarten and the submarine is located in Laboe.

B. Kiel Botanical Gardens

Thanks.

No - see here:

http://www.uni-kiel.de/nickol/Garten/kontakt2.html

Here is a route map for the buses:

http://www.kvg-kiel.de/pdf/140609_VRK_Liniennetzplan.pdf

Bus 81 leaves from Central Station to the Botanical Garden.

http://www.kvg-kiel.de/linienwege/Linie81.pdf

Central Station is the terminal of the ferry line from Laboe.

25 Minutes transit time to the Botanical Garden - every 15-30 minutes:

http://www.vrk-sh.de/Fahrplan/pdf-Fpl-Sommer09/81.pdf

You can walk in 15-20 minutes from Central Station to the cruise terminal.

See http://www.heinbloed-on-tour.de for instructions getting from Central Station to the Cruise Terminal.

Regards

HeinBloed

Edited by HeinBloed

We were in Kiel last summer. It was the last port, on the last day, of HAL's Gems of the Baltic on the Eurodam. We had a leisurely breakfast on board, wandered around the shopping streets for a while, and then sat in a lovely park directly across from Eurodam's berth. As it happened, it was July 1 (Canada Day?) and the Eurodam had a fabulous poolside barbeque for lunch. After lunch it was time to pack and prepare to disembark the next morning.

Kiel was the perfect end to a wonderful cruise. I would recommend it.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave...We will be in Kiel July 18, 2010. I'm so glad you understood it all because I sure didn't. It scared me from doing it myself. Soooooo, is there any chance you can post your personal notes as to how you will do this? I could share my email if that would be better. Just let me know. Thanks so much...to both you and HeinBloed for any help.

Edited by Milwaukeeee

Depends to the weekday you are in Kiel:

If it is a Sunday: only Central Stations with few small shops is open for purchases.

Hi,

Enjoyed reading your post about Kiel. We are unfortunately being there on a Sunday. Is it possible for you to say how to get to Schleswig-Holstein Freilichtmuseum from the Kiel port? Is it worth seeing or is it better to try to go to Luebeck for the day (Sunday)? Thanks for your German hospitality.

Hi,

Enjoyed reading your post about Kiel. We are unfortunately being there on a Sunday. Is it possible for you to say how to get to Schleswig-Holstein Freilichtmuseum from the Kiel port? Is it worth seeing or is it better to try to go to Luebeck for the day (Sunday)? Thanks for your German hospitality.

Let's do it step by step:

If I have a chance to see an UNESCO-World Culture Heritage or a Open-Air-Museum I would know what to do.

But I give you both options:

Bus 501 will take you from Kiel Central Station to Rammsee, Freilichtmuseum.

The bus leaves 50 minutes past the hour and need 13 minutes to get there.

Back: 30 minutes past the hour back in 15 minutes.

Here you can download the schedule:

http://www.autokraft.de/docs/0501_beide_NEU_5.pdf

Only the pages marked "Sonn- und Feiertage" (Sunday and public holiday) are important to you.

Kiel Hauptbahnhof = Kiel Central Station

Rammsee Freilichtmuseum = your destination

If you are just 1 or 2 persons: you buy with the driver

Einzelkarte nach Rammsee Freilichtmuseum (or back Kiel): 2.20 EUR per person*journey.

If you are 3, 4 or 5 persons: you buy with the driver

Eine Kleingruppenkarte nach Rammsee Freilichtmuseum: 12.20 EUR for a mini-group all day pass which is valid for 5 persons (so your return ticket is covered).

I am quite sure it's nice but I cannot tell you how good it is because I am not a big fan of this kind of open-air-museums and so I would personally go to Lübeck.

Let's go step by step:

there are two ships in town:

EURODAM and MSC ORCHESTRA.

I guess you are on MY EURODAM (I love her...)

She should arrive at 08.00 hrs.

The public bus from the Cruise Terminal to Central Station goes on Sunday just every hour. So best would be to walk 15-25 minutes: Just continue the walk to Central Station alongside of the water: Left water / Right shore.

From here you can catch

08.44 hrs (arrives in Lübeck 09.52 hrs)

09.04 hrs (arrives in Lübeck 10.32 hrs)

09.44 hrs (arrives in Lübeck 10.52 hrs)

and back

13.06 hrs (arrives in Kiel 14.15 hrs) only if you are MSC ORCHESTRA

13.28 hrs (arrives in Kiel 14.55 hrs) only if you are MSC ORCHESTRA

14.06 hrs (arrives in Kiel 15.15 hrs) GOOD connection if you are on EURODAM

14.28 hrs (arrives in Kiel 15.55 hrs) LAST connection if you are on EURODAM

So I would say

08.44 hrs is perfect if you are quickly from the ship

14.06 hrs back from Lübeck to be on the safe back in Kiel

Around 4.00 hrs in Lübeck - perfect to discover.

Here is one instruction to walk through the shopping mile to the Cruise Terminal:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/kiel-germany-city-walk-from-cruise.html

but as described before: it's faster to walk all alongside the waterfront.

Here is the instruction to buy the tickets:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/kiel-germany-buying-tickets-for-lubeck.html

And once you arrive in Lübeck:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/lubeck-germany-walking-parking-and-ship.html

So anything else to make your plannings safer???

Regards

HeinBloed

This thread and your blog will be a great help to me in planning what to do in Kiel prior to a MSC cruise departing Kiel in September. Thanks so much.

What would be the minimum stay in Kiel, which you recommend to appreciate the region's attractions.

I still have to research the best direct air routes from Australia to Germany, but am thinking of taking a connecting flight to Hamburg, then train to Kiel.

This thread and your blog will be a great help to me in planning what to do in Kiel prior to a MSC cruise departing Kiel in September. Thanks so much.

What would be the minimum stay in Kiel, which you recommend to appreciate the region's attractions.

I still have to research the best direct air routes from Australia to Germany, but am thinking of taking a connecting flight to Hamburg, then train to Kiel.

I would fly to Hamburg, stay in Lübeck because you are close

to Hamburg

to Eutin, Plön

to Schwerin

and have within a 1-hour-range a lot of attractions to see.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you. I can't believe how thorough your answer is. What a wonderful job you are doing in welcoming us. I know you are a frequent traveler and I'm sure if this was written in Chinese or Russian you would further understand how scary it is for English only speaking folks. Your pictures make it very easy to see what to do. I'm still not sure what to plan for our port day in Kiel. We already would have done Schwerin so Lubeck could be an attraction...except for the fact that its Sunday and probably less to be open.

Maybe a day in Kiel?????? Not much to do but a few interesting museums I understand. Again, thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

I would fly to Hamburg, stay in Lübeck because you are close

to Hamburg

to Eutin, Plön

to Schwerin

and have within a 1-hour-range a lot of attractions to see.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you so much.

Later, after reading your comments on Lubeck, I thought Lubeck might be a nicer base.

I have yet to research the other places mentioned, but intend to do so.

I'm developing timelines for my trip, pre and post cruise, so I can book insurance. Would you say five nights in Lubeck would allow sufficient time to briefly see the region's attractions?

Thank you so much.

Later, after reading your comments on Lubeck, I thought Lubeck might be a nicer base.

I have yet to research the other places mentioned, but intend to do so.

I'm developing timelines for my trip, pre and post cruise, so I can book insurance. Would you say five nights in Lubeck would allow sufficient time to briefly see the region's attractions?

Arrival date to compensate time difference - somehow...

1 day for Lübeck

1 day for a river cruise to beach resort Travemünde incl. river cruise maybe also for Island of Fehmarn if you love nature

1 day for Hamburg

1 day for Schwerin

1 day for Lake District Eutin/Malente/Plön

on the day to embarkment Laboe

Depending how many days you can afford to stay and what your specific interests we can develop a more detailed plan how to set up your pre-cruise schedule.

Regards

HeinBloed

Heinblood- would you recommend renting a car from Kiel to go to Hamburg for the day (on a Sunday; in port from 6 am - 5 pm)? That was our plan up to this point. Thanks so much for your input.

Hello from Kiel...

we just arrived here with our DELPHIN VOYAGER cruise...

Well Sunday make it a little difficult:

It's only one company which has open on Sunday:

EUROPCAR (National / Alamo).

And they dislike to deliver to the Cruise Terminal.

Honestly spoken:

the train connections to Hamburg are very good and I would highly recommend to go by train in Hamburg.

Many parking garages in Hamburg are not open on Sunday. So somehow it's difficult to park the car in the area of the attractions. At the tourist spots like Landing Stages it will be so full that you will a lot of time to find a parking lot on a Sunday.

Like today you can easily catch the

07.21 hrs train from Kiel and arrives in Hamburg 08.37 hrs

and return

14.20 hrs from Hamburg arrives at Kiel 15.36 hrs.

5 hours 40 minutes for Hamburg - a good time range to have an good overview.

Europcar opens at 09.00 hrs but you can get the car earlier if you pay a special premium surcharge.

So you would be around 10.30 hrs in Hamburg (if you hire a Porsche maybe at 10.00 hrs).

To be safe you need to back at the Car Rental Station at 16.00 hrs. Which means you need leave in Hamburg at 14.30 hrs to be on the safe side.

Therefore: again - take the train unless you want to have a Porsche.

Regards

HeinBloed

Arrival date to compensate time difference - somehow...

1 day for Lübeck

1 day for a river cruise to beach resort Travemünde incl. river cruise maybe also for Island of Fehmarn if you love nature

1 day for Hamburg

1 day for Schwerin

1 day for Lake District Eutin/Malente/Plön

on the day to embarkment Laboe

Depending how many days you can afford to stay and what your specific interests we can develop a more detailed plan how to set up your pre-cruise schedule.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks.

I'll see how long my friends can stay and try to stay a little longer, if possible.

I'll look into all the places you've kindly recommended.

Heinbloed, what are your thoughts on seeing the Kiel Kanal for our day in Kiel in July, I understand there is a bus #11 that goes there- is there much to see there?

Heinbloed, what are your thoughts on seeing the Kiel Kanal for our day in Kiel in July, I understand there is a bus #11 that goes there- is there much to see there?

Let me say it this way...

Guess you are 75 and you have seen already the Gatun Locks or others in the Panama Canal or Suez Canal, save the time...

Guess you are 75 and you have never seen a lock for ocean ships before and the chance that you do another Panama Canal or Suez Canal cruise the next 5 years... do it...

Guess you are 35 and you have planned anyway to do a Panama Canal or Suez Canal cruise then do it...

Here are some impressions from Holtenau Lock...

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/kiel-germany-city-tour-by-bus.html

The exitement of the Kiel-Canal: when your ship is small enough and going through and the population is welcoming you and waving you all the way from Brunsbüttel to Kiel.

If you just want to see a lock you might be disappointed.

But there is a small exhibition.

Depending on the day of your visit in Kiel there might be canal boat tours available which might be more interesting to see a little more of the landscape.

Regards

HeinBloed

Let me say it this way...

Guess you are 75 and you have seen already the Gatun Locks or others in the Panama Canal or Suez Canal, save the time...

Guess you are 75 and you have never seen a lock for ocean ships before and the chance that you do another Panama Canal or Suez Canal cruise the next 5 years... do it...

Guess you are 35 and you have planned anyway to do a Panama Canal or Suez Canal cruise then do it...

Here are some impressions from Holtenau Lock...

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/kiel-germany-city-tour-by-bus.html

The exitement of the Kiel-Canal: when your ship is small enough and going through and the population is welcoming you and waving you all the way from Brunsbüttel to Kiel.

If you just want to see a lock you might be disappointed.

But there is a small exhibition.

Depending on the day of your visit in Kiel there might be canal boat tours available which might be more interesting to see a little more of the landscape.

Regards

HeinBloed

We are between 35 and 75 and have seen locks in various places, including Panama, and did the small boat tour through them as well, totally different perspectives than the ship's view. Since I am so impressed with locks I will look into it a little more- thanks much