Progresso

~Christie~

I laughed when I read an above posters comment that they went to Uxmal in February and the weather was perfect. We went in Feb of 2012 and the temps were almost 100 degrees. Thought I was going to die climbing. But it was a wonderful experience.

Next trip to Progresso will be in August. I know it will be hot. Can anyone suggest something I might be able to do with my 83 year old mother? She has limited mobility. She can walk short distances with a walker but plan to have her in a wheel chair for safety and timely movement.

My mother went on a tour called something like Cities of Gold and White. I think they got off the bus once or twice but it was mostly sight seeing. She's 70+ and not very sure on uneven ground anymore. She loved the tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! On our last cruise we toured Tulum and loved it! So the ruins are a great idea! I love culture and history.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using Forums mobile app

We have been to Tulum and Uxmal and would choose Uxmal hands down. Look at Autoprogresso to save dome $$

Tulum wouldn't even be an option from Progresso. It is about a four hour drive. You wouldn't even be able to get there and back before the ship left. It is a fantastic site. We have visited on a cruise excursion and again when we were in Cancun for a week. If you ever get to the Mayan Riviera by land, I strongly suggest getting to Tulum and then taking a taxi to one of the many fantastic beach clubs south of the ruins. Truly spectacular.

From Progresso it seems that Uxmal is the best option. Even Chichen Itza is quite a haul at almost two hours. Do you really want to spend almost three and a half hours driving two and from for a few hours of time to explore. Ek-Balam is even further.

We have a five night Carnival cruise booked for next October that calls Progresso and Cozumel. We still are not sure where we will go. Probably Uxmal or Merida.

Progresso was the first port we ever cruised to. We definetly want to go back. It is like the True Old Mexico experience. Loved the open market & just walking around town. Kinda interesting to see the shops & everything where locals shop & live. Cozumel is so much more modern & disney like as 1 person said. ENJOY

When we stopped in Progreso we just ended up doing our own thing. We walked through the town to get to the beach and on the way to the beach we stopped in at a little Cantina where we got a free beer and just relaxed and talked to the owner for a bit. It was really neat to just walk around and explore on our own. My SO who was with me has family all over Mexico so he actually knew the area a bit. The beach was nice and was VERY clean. There are vendors who are always trying to grab your attention for massages and other items but a quick and polite "no thank you" was enough to encourage them to move on to the next customer. There was a little shopping area with tents that we stopped by on the way back from the beach that I really liked. A LOT of handmade items that you were able to get at a very low price. There was a women sewing dresses right in front of you and she was very lovely and social. I wish I could remember the name of the cantina for you as it was very good and the owner was a very nice guy.

I think if we visit again we might try to see the ruins because it's on my bucket list...but we had a very nice relaxing and fun day just exploring on our own.

One question: Will we need (or want) to exchange dollars for pesos? I imagine that far away from touristy areas we probably will but I'd like to hear others' experiences there.

You might consider exchanging, some things will be priced in dollars, but where things are only priced in pesos we have experienced them giving us 10 per dollar "because the math is easier that way" instead of the true exchange rate of 13-14 pesos per dollar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might consider exchanging, some things will be priced in dollars, but where things are only priced in pesos we have experienced them giving us 10 per dollar "because the math is easier that way" instead of the true exchange rate of 13-14 pesos per dollar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The vendors at Uxmal all had dollars, I didn't shop in Merida or Progresso. I got 12 Pesos to the dollar in Uxmal and 12.5 in Cozumel last week, as I wanted to bring our boys some pesos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We live in Chicxulub in January and February of each year. From my own personal experience Chicxulub Food Bank provides a valuable service to local residents. We support their efforts during our stays. Their website has lots of information.

I love Progreso. I laughed at all the people that said they were just going to stay on the ship because of all they had heard about it. While I unfortunately haven't got to visit the ruins in my TWO visits to Progeso, I have had a blast both stops there.

Loved the town and felt safe walking around it.

Loved the beach area. Is the water crystal clear Cozumel water? No, but it's a great beach.

Loved the Margarita's from Tommy's along the beach. Waiter was great. after 8-10 Margaritas and a few shots... getting back to the ship wasn't that easy.

Massage on the beach? There's not a cheaper place... and cleanliness, professionalism, and enjoyment have not been better.

Going back this year for a week in Progresso. (First time out of the country and not on a cruise) Definitely going to the ruins, Merida, and hanging out on the beach for margaritas, guacamole & massages.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Progresso three times. First time we did dzibulchaltun ruins and Merida tour. The ruins were great, swam in the Cenote at the ruins and then as we were driving to Merida my husband said "all that is missing is the beer" so the guide smiled and said he would take care of that and ran into a small store, came out with a case and sold to everyone for a buck a beer. Well worth it! In Merida instead of shopping with the group we ran into a restaurant and had a wonderful meal and then got back on the bus and headed for the boat.

Second trip, with just the ladies, we shopped for a few minutes and then caught a bus to an all inclusive resort to hang out by the beach with great margaritas and good food.

Third trip, took my two grown sons, 24 and 22 at the time, we called Lawson's and scheduled a private tour of the Cenotes and of a small authentic town. My kids thought this was a blast. The cenotes they took us to were without a doubt a lifetime experience. The town was quaint. Poor but quaint. Our guide bought several fruits and an avocado and we sampled different things we have never had. He supplied us with beer (seeing a pattern here) and on the way back we spotted a couple cooking chicken halves on an open grill and we bought two whole chickens. They chopped them up, put them on a platter and we are that whole chicken on the way back. My younger son was talking to locals about living there. He really wanted to move there for a year and do cenote tours!

Have an open mind, explore something different and talk with the locals! We go again next week and we can't wait.

Been to Progresso three times. First time we did dzibulchaltun ruins and Merida tour. The ruins were great, swam in the Cenote at the ruins and then as we were driving to Merida my husband said "all that is missing is the beer" so the guide smiled and said he would take care of that and ran into a small store, came out with a case and sold to everyone for a buck a beer. Well worth it! In Merida instead of shopping with the group we ran into a restaurant and had a wonderful meal and then got back on the bus and headed for the boat.

Second trip, with just the ladies, we shopped for a few minutes and then caught a bus to an all inclusive resort to hang out by the beach with great margaritas and good food.

Third trip, took my two grown sons, 24 and 22 at the time, we called Lawson's and scheduled a private tour of the Cenotes and of a small authentic town. My kids thought this was a blast. The cenotes they took us to were without a doubt a lifetime experience. The town was quaint. Poor but quaint. Our guide bought several fruits and an avocado and we sampled different things we have never had. He supplied us with beer (seeing a pattern here) and on the way back we spotted a couple cooking chicken halves on an open grill and we bought two whole chickens. They chopped them up, put them on a platter and we are that whole chicken on the way back. My younger son was talking to locals about living there. He really wanted to move there for a year and do cenote tours!

Have an open mind, explore something different and talk with the locals! We go again next week and we can't wait.

Thanks! We are thinking about the cenotes tour.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using Forums mobile app

• 5 months later...

I have used Lawson's 4 times. They offer many different types of tours. I have taken my parents (in their 70's) and they had a blast! They can accommodate a wheelchair as well. I give them 5/5 stars on all 4 of my tours! Google William Lawson Tours for their email address. You won't be disappointed!

It's nice to see this old thread being revived. Progreso has a lot to offer to those willing to leave the ship.

Agreed, it is a gem, very reminiscent of Cozumel 30 years ago. That area of the Yucatan offers a lot.

• 1 month later...
I have used Lawson's 4 times. They offer many different types of tours. I have taken my parents (in their 70's) and they had a blast! They can accommodate a wheelchair as well. I give them 5/5 stars on all 4 of my tours! Google William Lawson Tours for their email address. You won't be disappointed!

Would love to roughly what price they are charging per person