Amsterdam Central Train Station to Ship

Good morning. Can anyone comment on the feasibility of walking with two large suitcases, on wheels of course, from the Central station to the cruise terminal? We will be boarding the Celebrity Silhouette on August 20th.

It can be done. Here are the directions.

Amsterdam Centraal Stationsplein, Head northeast on Westtunnel toward Michiel de Ruijtertunnel ,Turn right onto De Ruijterkade

Turn left onto De Ruijterkade/s100

Continue to follow s100

Destination will be on the left

It's about a mile. It might be easier to take tram #26 from the station to the PTA. I think the cost is 1.50 euros per person.

It can be done. Here are the directions.

Amsterdam Centraal Stationsplein, Head northeast on Westtunnel toward Michiel de Ruijtertunnel ,Turn right onto De Ruijterkade

Turn left onto De Ruijterkade/s100

Continue to follow s100

Destination will be on the left

It's about a mile. It might be easier to take tram #26 from the station to the PTA. I think the cost is 1.50 euros per person.

Thank you. Yes. The tram is a better solution than rolling our bags for a mile. As I recall some of the sidewalk may be brick or stone.

The only time I have rolled luggage from Centraal Station was for a river cruise. AMA was tied up behind the station area, yet we had to be very, very mindful of the bicycles when crossing streets. For the cruise ship - take the tram, it's easier and much safer.

Darcy

The only time I have rolled luggage from Centraal Station was for a river cruise. AMA was tied up behind the station area, yet we had to be very, very mindful of the bicycles when crossing streets. For the cruise ship - take the tram, it's easier and much safer.

Darcy

Yes. Valuable perspective about walking the streets encumbered with a large suitcase! We will use the tram to get to the PTA.

Thank you.

We walked it recently - and my frugal husband admitted we should have done a tram or taxi! The first set of riverboats were quite close to the station - the cruise terminal was deceptively far.....

Have a great cruise - we loved the sailaway from Amsterdam

I walked this way, this morning. Had no problem. Go out the back of the station to sea wall and turn right. Straight shot down to the cruise terminal. No stairs, good sidewalks free of anything in our way. If you have pull luggage, you will encounter absolutely NO cobblestones or anything else of the like. It is a smooth sidewalk and ramps the entire length of the way. I would say walking at a brisk pace, with no luggage took me less than 5 minutes. With luggage might take me 10.

I would definitely say that it would be easier to pull my bags to the pier by walking that getting them on and off a crowded tram. That idea just seems nuts to me. Yesterday, two people on our cruise almost missed our pre-cruise dinner because the tram they could not get off the tram they were on. It was so crowded that they were stuck in the back and couldn't make their way to the doors. Can you imagine doing that with luggage. Not me. I would walk. Not that far.

I walked this way, this morning. Had no problem. Go out the back of the station to sea wall and turn right. Straight shot down to the cruise terminal. No stairs, good sidewalks free of anything in our way. If you have pull luggage, you will encounter absolutely NO cobblestones or anything else of the like. It is a smooth sidewalk and ramps the entire length of the way. I would say walking at a brisk pace, with no luggage took me less than 5 minutes. With luggage might take me 10.

I would definitely say that it would be easier to pull my bags to the pier by walking that getting them on and off a crowded tram. That idea just seems nuts to me. Yesterday, two people on our cruise almost missed our pre-cruise dinner because the tram they could not get off the tram they were on. It was so crowded that they were stuck in the back and couldn't make their way to the doors. Can you imagine doing that with luggage. Not me. I would walk. Not that far.

I disagree that it is easier to walk than take a tram! It's not that far but when you walk out of the railway station the tram stop is right in front of you and the ship is pretty much in front of you when you get off it, with a ramp to pull your cases along. This tram line was never that crowded when we used it. It is so cheap I wouldn't consider walking

Edited by tartanexile81

Thanks. We will be getting on the Silhouette after you get off!

I disagree that it is easier to walk than take a tram! It's not that far but when you walk out of the railway station the tram stop is right in front of you and the ship is pretty much in front of you when you get off it, with a ramp to pull your cases along. This tram line was never that crowded when we used it. It is so cheap I wouldn't consider walking

Both methods are good and quite equal. But the point DrKoob makes is valid, although the tram to PTA is less crowded. But managing luggage in public transport can be a hassle for the few minutes you are on that tram.

The better alternative would be a cab, also the most expensive for you and most profitable for the taxi driver; if he instantly agrees on the ride keep an eye on the meter or firmly agree on a fare LOL, if he disagrees to take the ride and burst into laughter; he's right, it's a 3 minute drive.

But if you need a taxi, sure use one. If you can do grocery shopping back home, pushing the cart through a store for longer periods, walk.

If it rains; use the tram.

:)

We were in Amsterdam 2015 for several days. Maybe because it was the 'high season' for tulips, but the trams were always packed. Often, we could hardly squeeze out at our stops, and that was without luggage. If you walk, just be careful crossing the bike paths. A moment of inattention on my part almost resulted in a big pileup.

We were in Amsterdam 2015 for several days. Maybe because it was the 'high season' for tulips, but the trams were always packed. Often, we could hardly squeeze out at our stops, and that was without luggage. If you walk, just be careful crossing the bike paths. A moment of inattention on my part almost resulted in a big pileup.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uber is available in Amsterdam and much better priced than taxis. We used them last month going from our hotel in the museum district to the cruise terminal and then after disembarkation from the cruise terminal to the airport.

Edited by CintiPam

If you walk, the only bike path you will have to cross is when you come out of Centraal Station. After that, you won't cross another bike path on this route. If it isn't raining go for it.

We did use Uber as well in Amsterdam but we found there were a lot of times when they were on "surge" pricing and were priced at 2x and even 3.5x pricing. When that happens, taxis are cheaper.