What to do in Curacao?

samb413

Absolutely right ! that's one of the fun things to do if you have a chnce while coming into town..OR giving yourself plenty of time when leaving town heading back to the ship. To actually be on a bridge that will take you 180 degrees as marine traffic goes past is something that's note seen or done everyday.

I missed it last time. I was about 30' feet away when alarm rang, then the gate started closing so I stopped. Rookie move, people kept boarding until the gate practically pinched them. Next time, no hesitation. ;)

http://scubanation.com/caribbean-secret/

ScubaNation we are exploring Curacao. A beautiful island of the coast of Venezuela that offers some of the best diving in the Caribbean.

We’ll see some amazing drop offs, wrecks and local flavor plus some other surprises that are a must see during your diving vacation.

They visit several land attractions too . . .

[you can fast forward thru the commercials]

[dd was PR rep that pitched this place to the show, and acted as guide/coordinator. She is the one who stands on the ostrich egg - at the invite of the farm staff - those eggs are STRONG]

Edited by Capt_BJ

I couldn't agree with you more ! Especially for those people who have been there a few times and want to learn the experience firsthand. But for those first time visitors who watch in amazement as in "what are they going to do now" ? It's a laugh and a half.

As I mentioned in a previous post Curacao is a nice town that makes their money on tourism, we help support their cause by always stopping at the first outdoor place to have a local beer and order of french fries. While the name of the place slips me you can't miss it with the yellow umbrellas and good wait staff.

I've visited Curaçao on my last two cruises, most recently in March. I love it there. Willemstad is a bustling and historic town, with some interesting architecture. Cross the swinging bridge, which is a treat itself, and wander the streets. My most memorable visit is to Mikve Israel-Emanuel Synagogue, the oldest working synagogue in the New World, dating back to the early 1700s.

When I went there several years ago, shopping and dinning were close to where we were docked. I am not sure if it is still the same. I remember going over a swing bridge to the shopping area. I also remember all the beautiful colored buildings. There were fishermen docked and selling their fish from boats once we crossed over the bridge. It was really beautiful. But that was way back in 2001 when I was last there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's quite a bit to do within walking distance. Lots of shops and small restaurants and small cafés to lunch and brunch

. There is a large Starbucks right when you get off the ship for your Wi-Fi needs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by djzack67

We were there last year and shopped in the port area, then had lunch in the cheese shop. Quite a unique place carved out of the salt rock and the best fondue I have ever had. Four of us shared two fondue's and a bottle of wine, they gave us four individual plates with bread/veggies. We were very satisfied would go there again.

Fondue sounds great! Does the cheese shop have a name? Approximate location? Thanks!

We did a private ATV tour of the island and had a freaking BLAST! We were the only ones on the tour and the owners son was our guide. Spent four hours out and got to see so many things, including a stop at the Aloe farm. So much cheaper than the ship excursions and so much more fun. They dropped us off, at our request, down in the shopping area so we could eat and shop and walk leisurely back to the ship. We would do it all over again!!

What company did you use? We are going on a cruise next July and I'm starting to plan our excursions. This cruise is a graduation present for our daughter, so I am looking for an ATV company that will allow an 18 year old to drive, she would love that.

Charmed 101

How do you make a reservation for the Santa Barbara Beach Resort? I went on their website and did not see any options for excursions from a cruise ship. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

go online with Resorts for a Day. we were just there in March. it was a wonderful day. just be aware that they do not have an actual beach, we loved the pools and the food. most likely going back again next year

• 2 weeks later...
We go to Mambo, specifically the Lion's Dive resort. It's a bit more expensive (maybe $25 - $30) for two loungers and shade, but also less crowded than the other areas on Mambo. Nice facilities with food/drinks and roving servers.

A couple questions: Did you need to book this in advance, if so, directly with the hotel, or...? Can you snorkel from the beach there? And how far from port? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
We did a private ATV tour of the island and had a freaking BLAST! We were the only ones on the tour and the owners son was our guide. Spent four hours out and got to see so many things, including a stop at the Aloe farm. So much cheaper than the ship excursions and so much more fun. They dropped us off, at our request, down in the shopping area so we could eat and shop and walk leisurely back to the ship. We would do it all over again!!

What was the name of the tour company? Are you allowed to post that? TIA

Edited by greenstar

• 3 weeks later...
go online with Resorts for a Day. we were just there in March. it was a wonderful day. just be aware that they do not have an actual beach, we loved the pools and the food. most likely going back again next year

Can you clarify? I have seen many pictures of the beach at Santa Barbara Resort. Was there a problem with the beach or did they somehow remove it???????

Edited by Grandmaanne7

• 1 month later...