Surprising a Spouse

At Sea 4Ever

Has anyone ever surprised a spouse with an upgraded cabin? If so how did they reveal the surprise to them?

I haven't done it with a cabin, mostly because he doesn't ask and I don't tell. His job is to show up, relax and have fun. I do all the rest.

However, I did surprise him with an airline upgrade. We were flying from LAX to Tahiti. When we entered the airport he got in the line for coach check in. I kept walking to the first/business class counter. He followed, looked confused for a few minutes and then enjoyed the lounge and trip. Funny enough, he never said a word.

I haven't done it with a cabin, mostly because he doesn't ask and I don't tell. His job is to show up, relax and have fun. I do all the rest.

However, I did surprise him with an airline upgrade. We were flying from LAX to Tahiti. When we entered the airport he got in the line for coach check in. I kept walking to the first/business class counter. He followed, looked confused for a few minutes and then enjoyed the lounge and trip. Funny enough, he never said a word.

That's a nice upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Did it with the first full suite I booked. In our household I do all the vacation planning and all DW has to do is pack her stuff. The best one however was not a cruise. The way her schedule works out as a nurse about 3 times a year she ends up with a 10-12 day break in her shift schedule so we can do something without her having to book holidays which she is obligated to do a year in advance. A couple of years back I booked us a trip to Sandals in Jamaica that she knew nothing about. The night before we flew I told her to pack for 10 days on a warm beach about 5 minutes after she got home from her last 3 to 11 shift. To say the least she was dumbfounded. "what about the dog", - done, what about plane tickets, - done weeks ago, what about the house - done and on and on. When she realized that I had everything in hand except for her she relented and packed. She didn't know we were flying business class till check in and where we were going until we got to the gate. I had a lot of fun with that trip.

• 5 months later...

I received an up-sell offer to a full suite for our Alaska cruise. I did not tell my DW, but thought that she would figure it out at some point prior to walking into the room. She did not, and the look on her face as we walked in was priceless. At first it was total confussion, followed by "what did you do", followed by "omg this is incredible!". We had an amazing week!

I surprised

My mum with a few cruises she knew nothing about just seeing someone else off then oh it's us going

Did I forget to tell you

Is great if they

Like surprises

And you got to be good at keeping secrets :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not with a cabin like you but with the airline tickets... unfortunately I have a big mouth and could not keep it to myself. DW has since gotten super excited about the extra arm and leg room.

My sister and I are about to surprise our husbands with a cruise. They haven't a clue. When we get to FLL, the additional surprise will be to see our kids waiting for us :-)! Three live away, so to have all our our kids sailing with us will be the trip of a lifetime. Can't wait!!

My sister and I are about to surprise our husbands with a cruise. They haven't a clue. When we get to FLL, the additional surprise will be to see our kids waiting for us :-)! Three live away, so to have all our our kids sailing with us will be the trip of a lifetime. Can't wait!!

I live that

When are you letting them know your going on a cruise

This sounds wonderful!

We are going to celebrate their 60'th birthdays together on Sept 1st and tell them we're going to Florida, simply so that they will be able to pack for themselves. We are leaving on the 12th for Florida. We have arranged for our kids to meet us at the airport: 2 from Boston, 1 from Tampa and one traveling with us. When we land the kids will all be together holding a princess sign :-). I think this will be the surprise of their lives! A cruise: few thousand bucks......hotel a couple hundred bucks.....8 days with our kids on the high seas.......PRICELESS!!

We are going to celebrate their 60'th birthdays together on Sept 1st and tell them we're going to Florida, simply so that they will be able to pack for themselves. We are leaving on the 12th for Florida. We have arranged for our kids to meet us at the airport: 2 from Boston, 1 from Tampa and one traveling with us. When we land the kids will all be together holding a princess sign :-). I think this will be the surprise of their lives! A cruise: few thousand bucks......hotel a couple hundred bucks.....8 days with our kids on the high seas.......PRICELESS!!

So cool

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and they love their surprise

Greg

• 1 month later...

Our Holland America cruise in November is actually when I'll celebrate my 65th birthday so I upgraded our balcony cabin to a suite as a gift for me. I didn't tell DH yet, so he'll find out when he opens the door to the cabin and walks in. He'll be surprised and happy about the upgrade because there is so much more room. I've done this before, but it seemed he usually found out before the cruise because he would look at the cabin number and find it on the deck plans.

I abducted my wife from her job for a 14 day Alaskan cruise. This surprise required a year to plan. I made all reservations, packed (both her and I), and arranged for her supervisor to submit her amended time card for the necessary time off. On the day of departure I obtained clearance to visit her at her office dressed as an Inuit complete with a borrowed Husky dog. Alaska was her dream vacation.

I always do all of our cruise planning and preparation. Last April we were on the Carnival Dream for the 9-day repositioning cruise. We were originally booked in an interior cabin just to save money. About a week before the cruise I called to upgrade us....my dad was so surprised when we got to our new cabin and we were in a balcony

I abducted my wife from her job for a 14 day Alaskan cruise. This surprise required a year to plan. I made all reservations, packed (both her and I), and arranged for her supervisor to submit her amended time card for the necessary time off. On the day of departure I obtained clearance to visit her at her office dressed as an Inuit complete with a borrowed Husky dog. Alaska was her dream vacation.

Just love that

Have done a few times myself but never dressed up before

Nice to see some others throw surprises

Greg :)

A few years back my DW and I had a cruise from San Juan and we're having a hard time booking air as my airline of choice (no more) would not let us use our frequent flier miles. My BF asked for our dates and said he would see what he could do with his AMEX points. Not only did he book it for us, we went first class both ways, first time I didn't want to get off the plane!

I got an upsell email and upgraded to a junior suite for our 25th wedding anniversary cruise in November. Not telling DH and trying to figure out the same: how to surprise him! He doesn't know anything about the cruise other than the date, where we're going, and that we had a balcony room.

If I know him, we'll walk in, I'll say SURPRISE, and he'll say, "How much more was this cabin?" :eek: lol

Can't wait to enjoy it! All of you enjoy your surprises!!

I got an upsell email and upgraded to a junior suite for our 25th wedding anniversary cruise in November. Not telling DH and trying to figure out the same: how to surprise him! He doesn't know anything about the cruise other than the date, where we're going, and that we had a balcony room.

If I know him, we'll walk in, I'll say SURPRISE, and he'll say, "How much more was this cabin?" :eek: lol

Can't wait to enjoy it! All of you enjoy your surprises!!

How good is that. Enjoy your silver anniversary it seems that few make it now days.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently upgraded our cabin from a aft starboard balcony to an aft facing balcony. He has no idea. He doesn't manage the cruise payments or anything so he didn't notice.

He pretty much gives the "go ahead" to booking a cruise and then lets me plan and manage it. Which is great because I love doing so. I would be worried if he was in charge. Seriously. :eek:

But as far as he knows we have a standard plain-Jane balcony. Oh how excited he will be, because I told him we couldn't afford an aft facing!!

• 4 weeks later...

I did not surprise my wife, but we surprised our four children. The oldest were about 14, youngest 7 (the older are step brother/sister, the youngest twins). We told them nothing about the trip, not even that we were flying to Florida. Gave them misleading clues and everything. I arranged to pick up my son’s suit from his mother, and my wife packed her daughters fancy dress in our suitcase. We leave the house, stop for lunch and then drive to the airport. At this point then know we are flying to Orlando, but nothing else. We get off the plane and drive to Melbourne to spend the night. Next morning we start out for Port Canaveral.

We drive and get closer to the port and there is the ship. My Stepdaughter claims that she figured it out at this point. She always claims to figure things out ahead of time. Everyone was extremely happy and had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

About 20 yrs. ago, we were traveling with our good friends. It was an anniversary cruise for them, and he surprised her with the Royal Suite on one of RCCL's older ships. We got on board, and were walking towards our cabins, when we got to the Royal Suite, and a tour was going on for travel agents. We joined in, and once they all left, our friend slammed the door shut, put his feet up, and declared, "This is our room!!" It was a great surprise for her, and for us! We spend a lot of time in their cabin!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to attempt this on our upcoming cruise. We originally booked an inside. I got an email to upgrade to a balcony for a small additional fee. I had received some price drops from our original booking and the upgrade still came out less than the original price. DH won't know until we get to the room. Hoping he is OK with it. He is a mixed bag of greens when it comes to surprises. I, however, can't wait to sit on my balcony!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

DH pinches pennies twice. I would never surprise him with an upgrade. Well, there was the flight home from the last cruise and I got us in first class for less than $50 each. He'd been sick, so he appreciated the luxury.