Just Returned from Dawn - Food Review

garycarla

Okay, I will try to get around to a full review once I detox....

Both MDR - food was very good. Better than I have had before.

Buffet - Food quality has stepped up from past cruises. Good stuff all around. Deserts moved up just a bit as well - always bland in past.

French and Italian - still great.

Same with Bamboo.

Blue Lagoon was just okay and service was poor.

Overall - an awesome cruise. Great entertainment. WONDERFUL staff at every turn.

Really was great.

I was on the same cruise and I have to agree. Blue lagoon service was very lacking most times but we did have quick service other times. We ate at Cagney's, La Cucina and Teppanaki and had great meals. Aqua had good food and great service. I was so disappointed not to get a spring roll to start my dinner off last night :p

I have been on 3 ncl ship the dawn had the best food... Parents just got back last month they also said the food was the best out of 6 ncl cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the same cruise and I have to agree. Blue lagoon service was very lacking most times but we did have quick service other times. We ate at Cagney's, La Cucina and Teppanaki and had great meals. Aqua had good food and great service. I was so disappointed not to get a spring roll to start my dinner off last night :p

I'm still surprised at the bad service that Blue Lagoon has on some ships. The two times we were on the Star it was bad, when on the Dawn in 2012 it was bad, and still bad.

Slow service, food coming out in intervals for various people, and mixing up what was ordered is what we have experienced. That even happens when it was not even busy.

We did have excellent service in O'Sheehans every time we went on the BA though in March.

I've been on the dawn since 4/27, Southern Carribean and right now on the bermuda portion.......I've had great meals in all the venues except LaBistro, my duck was overcooked and dry and my mothers Filet Mignon was over-cooked....I'm hoping this was a one case mistake as I've always had great meals from there.......tonite having dinner in Bamboo.......oh yes, I did complain and all I got from it was a free bottle of wine at my next meal.......

Buffet - Food quality has stepped up from past cruises. Good stuff all around. Deserts moved up just a bit as well - always bland in past.

Blue Lagoon was just okay and service was poor.

As a first time NCL cruiser I also just got off the Dawn repo last week and agree the buffet was okay - we never went hungry of course but they little details like chopping the romaine lettuce into pieces smaller than 3" wide would have been nice and adding sour cream and cheese to the afternoon snacks selection with the nacho's and salsa. Also found the dishes at lunch/dinner were too 'ethnic'. A couple of days just a plain cooked chicken breast would have been nice. I will say that the turkey dinner in the buffet was amazing and 100x better than the turkey in Aqua the following night.

Blue Lagoon - I thought it was just me being picky... after waiting 20 minutes for water refill's (they gave us the small Garden Cafe glasses of water) I just got up and grabbed the pitcher to refill my own... the waiter all of a sudden appeared :rolleyes:

We were also on the Dawn repo. We thought the food was good and actually liked the desserts at the buffet better than the mdr's. We thought the service was very slow but someone mentioned that 90% or the wait staff had just been hired for this trip. So I guess that explains it.

I love the spring rolls, but after about 4 or 5 nights of them, it was ok not to get one the last night. I loved almost every bite of food we ate except in Blue Lagoon. The MDRs I think my fav was the last night and the sword fish about 1/2 way through. When I hear people complain about portions sizes, I think of the Sword fish and wonder how anyone could eat a bigger piece. Yes, the food seemed like it was improved over just 4 months ago on the Sun.

I've been on the dawn since 4/27, Southern Carribean and right now on the bermuda portion.......I've had great meals in all the venues except LaBistro, my duck was overcooked and dry and my mothers Filet Mignon was over-cooked....I'm hoping this was a one case mistake as I've always had great meals from there.......tonite having dinner in Bamboo.......oh yes, I did complain and all I got from it was a free bottle of wine at my next meal.......

Did you complain at the time? I am shocked if you didn't get your meat redone. We have complained on a few occasions and always the wait staff has taken the food back and brought us the correct doneness. The people sitting next to us at le Bistro raved about the duck. I think you just hit a bad night.

We also have had bad service on the Dawn in the Blue Lagoon. I am not sure why, and it is at all different times of the day or night. :confused:

I would pretty much agree. Even our first experience, which was the first Blue Lagoon, on the Jewel's first sailing the service was anything but good, but the food made up for it.