Have The Freedom Dry Dock Upgrades Been Announced Yet?

So does that mean that the Freedom will have dynamic dining after dry dock? I thought dynamic dining was going to be tested on the Quantum for a while and then added to the Oasis? That would not be much time for dynamic dining to be tested.

Royal Caribbean is not testing Dynamic Dining on Quantum, it was built to run Dynamic Dining. A lot of thought and money has been put into developing the Dynamic Dining program, the 3 Quantum class ships will be built to run the concept and newer ships in the fleet with be converted.

The concept model is similar to NCL's "Freestyle" Dining program. The biggest hurtle for anything new, and what causes the most problems, is getting people to try, like, and follow the rules of a new concept. People don't like change, obviously.

Dynamic Dining will first be introduced on Quantum, but Oasis and Freedom will have the changes made during dry dock, but won't be implemented until spring.

Wow, this is the first time I've seen it mentioned that although Freedom will be converted during the January Dry dock, it may not be implemented right away. Those of us sailing in Feb/March are anxiously awaiting updates!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like good news all around -- well, except for more cabins; I think the Freedom class ships have a good public-space-to-private-space ratio. That portion sounds like greed. But I welcome more options in terms of food; while I like the MDR, I do find it dull for more than perhaps three evenings in a week.

I'd like to hear that Freedom is getting a Chef's Table too. We can hope.

They were already doing Chef's Table on Freedom both weeks we sailed (9/7 and 9/14).

Royal Caribbean is not testing Dynamic Dining on Quantum, it was built to run Dynamic Dining. A lot of thought and money has been put into developing the Dynamic Dining program, the 3 Quantum class ships will be built to run the concept and newer ships in the fleet with be converted.

The concept model is similar to NCL's "Freestyle" Dining program. The biggest hurtle for anything new, and what causes the most problems, is getting people to try, like, and follow the rules of a new concept. People don't like change, obviously.

We booked Quantum almost two years out, and were given late dining, which we requested. About a year afterwards, I was called to make my dining reservations for dynamic dining. That was the first time ANY of us on our huge roll call had heard of dynamic dining.(That was April 2014, we booked May 2013 and cruise April 2015.) MANY people cancelled their cruises after hearing this. One was an elderly lady who is pinnacle and travels solo quite often and with her daughter a few cruises yearly. She enjoys the main dining room and meeting people at her very large table. She relies on her daughter to check out the internet(including cruise critic). She was VERY upset, since she would have to call and make reservations to sit alone at the different restaurants with different waiters nightly. I totally understand her dislike of the change.

I travel with my husband, and we request a table for two now anyway, unless we are traveling with others. We have cruised on NCL, and were not impressed with that type of dining.

One problem I personally had was getting the time 8:30 for dinners at the different restaurants. I had to take 8:15 and 8:45 several nights. Like I said, I was one of the first to make them, so, it was even harder to get specific dining times a month later, when others from our roll call began reserving their times. We still don't have the entertainment schedule for our cruise, but have seen it for one of the other 12 night cruises, so assume ours will be the same. When we made dining reservations, we assumed the entertainment could be worked around an 8:30 dining time, as it usually is on other cruises.....an early show some nights, or later one others. We will have to make entertainment reservations when they announce we can. If the same times are as the other twelve night schedule, Mama Mia will only have three showings. The first one will be the first night of the cruise, and the others will be a matinee the second afternoon and another night performance that night. The only time for that show which would work with our dining reserved time is the matinee show.

We have gone through many changes traveling different ways over 43 years, so are not opposed to change. However, I think our changes will be not as many Royal Caribbean cruises after ALL ships change to dynamic dining. Yes, we were told ALL Royal Caribbean ships will change during future dry docks. Cruising has been such an easy form of traveling for us, and I see making reservations for dining and entertainment too much hassle for a relaxing cruise. I can't imagine when we would dine if we booked a last minute cruise. They have begun adding earlier(4:30) and later(9:00) dining times already to some of the restaurants on Quantum. We are set to try it once, but actually still unsure, at this point, whether or not we are keeping the reservation. We'll make that decision after reading many reviews of the first two months of cruisers trying it out.

Edited by cruising grandma

We booked Quantum almost two years out, and were given late dining, which we requested. About a year afterwards, I was called to make my dining reservations for dynamic dining. That was the first time ANY of us on our huge roll call had heard of dynamic dining.(That was April 2014, we booked May 2013 and cruise April 2015.) MANY people cancelled their cruises after hearing this. One was an elderly lady who is pinnacle and travels solo quite often and with her daughter a few cruises yearly. She enjoys the main dining room and meeting people at her very large table. She relies on her daughter to check out the internet(including cruise critic). She was VERY upset, since she would have to call and make reservations to sit alone at the different restaurants with different waiters nightly. I totally understand her dislike of the change.

I travel with my husband, and we request a table for two now anyway, unless we are traveling with others. We have cruised on NCL, and were not impressed with that type of dining.

One problem I personally had was getting the time 8:30 for dinners at the different restaurants. I had to take 8:15 and 8:45 several nights. Like I said, I was one of the first to make them, so, it was even harder to get specific dining times a month later, when others from our roll call began reserving their times. We still don't have the entertainment schedule for our cruise, but have seen it for one of the other 12 night cruises, so assume ours will be the same. When we made dining reservations, we assumed the entertainment could be worked around an 8:30 dining time, as it usually is on other cruises.....an early show some nights, or later one others. We will have to make entertainment reservations when they announce we can. If the same times are as the other twelve night schedule, Mama Mia will only have three showings. The first one will be the first night of the cruise, and the others will be a matinee the second afternoon and another night performance that night. The only time for that show which would work with our dining reserved time is the matinee show.

We have gone through many changes traveling different ways over 43 years, so are not opposed to change. However, I think our changes will be not as many Royal Caribbean cruises after ALL ships change to dynamic dining. Yes, we were told ALL Royal Caribbean ships will change during future dry docks. Cruising has been such an easy form of traveling for us, and I see making reservations for dining and entertainment too much hassle for a relaxing cruise. I can't imagine when we would dine if we booked a last minute cruise. They have begun adding earlier(4:30) and later(9:00) dining times already to some of the restaurants on Quantum. We are set to try it once, but actually still unsure, at this point, whether or not we are keeping the reservation. We'll make that decision after reading many reviews of the first two months of cruisers trying it out.

I understand your concerns. As of right now we are all in the same boat of not knowing exactly how Dynamic Dining will work. All that we do know is that Dynamic Dining will be the new face of dining at Royal Caribbean. I'm interested and excited to see and try it in person. I feel Royal Caribbean tries their best at making great decisions and changes to enhance their overall product experience.

The biggest logistical hurtle now is the online reservation system. Similar to what folks have experienced with My Time Dining and booking entertainment, there are kinks to work out to ensure a smooth transition. You are very well traveled in the cruise world and as I can see you've dedicated a great deal of your voyages to Royal Caribbean. Hopefully this "change for the better" will make your future Royal Caribbean cruises even more memorable. :)

Edited by Tyler80

Here is my question.

In the era where people have their smart phones permanently glued to their hands, why hasn't anyone taken any video of these alleged "talks" onboard regarding the drydock upgrades/downgrades and posted them to youtube. At least that would support the cause more than simple "heresay".

Just food for thought.

Hi,

I am booked on the February 22, 2015 sailing of the Freedom of the Seas. It sounds like many of the changes are similar to the changes that were made to the Navigator of the Seas. However, I am particularly interested in whether Dynamic Dining will be in place for my cruise. I booked this cruise long before Dynamic Dining was announced for any of the ships. I currently have traditional second seating (still listed this way for my booking on Royal Caribbean's website). I wonder if this will change?

Chuck

Hi,

I am booked on the February 22, 2015 sailing of the Freedom of the Seas. It sounds like many of the changes are similar to the changes that were made to the Navigator of the Seas. However, I am particularly interested in whether Dynamic Dining will be in place for my cruise. I booked this cruise long before Dynamic Dining was announced for any of the ships. I currently have traditional second seating (still listed this way for my booking on Royal Caribbean's website). I wonder if this will change?

Chuck

Dynamic Dining is not supposed to start until March of Oasis. Just a guess, but I suspect it won't start on Freedom until after March also.

Dynamic Dining is not supposed to start until March of Oasis. Just a guess, but I suspect it won't start on Freedom until after March also.

BOB! Now I don't know what to wish for!! ;) That I will get on Freedom in March and be one of the last on that ship to experience the MDR or that the DD starts before my trip! It's my first time and I had myself excited for DD, but felt a little sad not to experience the MDR since so many people seem attached to it. I guess I'll just call it a win/win for me since I'm not attached to either. :D

Was told it going where Diamond is and the card room and that area will be the new Diamond.

Someone help me please. Last time we were on Freedom was in 2011 & we're booked for Sept 6, 2015 & we LOVE going to the Diamond Lounge every night. We're not Diamond + yet so where in the world is the "Card Room & that area" at???

Someone help me please. Last time we were on Freedom was in 2011 & we're booked for Sept 6, 2015 & we LOVE going to the Diamond Lounge every night. We're not Diamond + yet so where in the world is the "Card Room & that area" at???

Card room on Freedom is currently on the port side of Viking Crown.

Yes,they mentioned Izumi too...

Portofino will become Giovannis.........

Some insides will have the virtual balconies..

Having just come off of Freedom, I'm curious about Izumi. I had read here a while back that Izumi would be replacing Jade' on FOS. Does anyone know if they still plan on keeping Jade' on one side of the Windjammer?

I don't know much about Giovannis, but I'm really sad they're getting rid of Portofino.

Having just come off of Freedom, I'm curious about Izumi. I had read here a while back that Izumi would be replacing Jade' on FOS. Does anyone know if they still plan on keeping Jade' on one side of the Windjammer?

I don't know much about Giovannis, but I'm really sad they're getting rid of Portofino.

They will probably still have a section of Windjammer with Asian foods, but I don't know if it will retain the name Jade. However, our experience has been that once Izumi goes in, the Asian section of Windjammer no longer has free sushi during the dinner hour.

No, there were four of us who were mainly asking him about Dynamic Dining for Freedom. We'll be back on Freedom in a little over a month, so I'm sure other questions will arise.
Glad you will be back on FR -- will be looking forward to your posts based on the information you will find out on DD. We really like traditional dining and your statement that it will not be implemented until spring is welcome. We sail on FR on 2-22-2015 so that cruise may be traditional rather than DD.

Which Hotel Director did you have breakfast with during the D+ breakfast?

Hi,

Chuck

We are on the same cruise and still have Traditional Late in that reservations and the 3 following FR cruises in 2015 and 2016 (see my signature). There is no formal announcement of FR having DD so no reservations would be changed yet. Earlier posts indicate that even if RCI puts in DD, it may be later in the year than 2-22.

When we originally booked Quantum(2years out), we chose late dining option, however a year later RCI told us about the new dynamic dining, and that we needed to make reservations for each night of our twelve night cruise.

(4/12-4/24/2015) I made reservations for nine nights a year in advance and before entertainment schedules were posted. (Actually, those still aren't posted for our cruise, but someone posted earlier twelve night schedule.) Some of my dining times conflict with those show times.

When we were on Freedom 8/31-9/7 we had D+ breakfast with the food and beverage director. He confirmed the dining room will be changed into three separate restaurants during dry dock. He stated they would remove the chandelier from the dining room. The carpet and decor will be different on each floor of the dining rooms. The wait staff will wear different uniforms for the three different restaurants. He also said Izumi will be added in the current card room location, and Sabor will be added in part of the current Crypt. Staterooms will also be added in another part of the Crypt. Dynamic Dining will first be introduced on Quantum, but Oasis and Freedom will have the changes made during dry dock, but won't be implemented until spring.

I've heard the report about the FR dining room conversion on other threads. If FR has 3 separate dining rooms, it will have less restaurants than QU -- I think I heard Grande and Izumi and one they did not know. Nothing about Coastal Kitchen, which is for JS and up (we always book JSs). If these rumors are true, there would be a lot less choice than QU or even the present Main Dining Room that has 7 restaurants.

I know I have 3 separate posts in response to yours but your recent cruising experience is very helpful to me. If DD is instituted, I will have to plan for our group which includes 2 husbands who usually order from the Always Available menu (which I have read may still exist under DD). My DH is a VERY picky eater. The other person orders a special vegetarian menu -- wedge salad, baked sweet potato and steamed vegetables with ranch dressing (I will contact special needs for her). I will be putting together instructions for the other couple's TA.

Like your screen name -- I am also a "Cruising Grandma."

Edited by SherriZ366

I am sad about Portofino also so we are eating in the EX Portofino when we sail on her in December.

Glad you will be back on FR -- will be looking forward to your posts based on the information you will find out on DD. We really like traditional dining and your statement that it will not be implemented until spring is welcome. We sail on FR on 2-22-2015 so that cruise may be traditional rather than DD.

Which Hotel Director did you have breakfast with during the D+ breakfast?

Michael Rasmussen was hotel director, and he was seated at the table behind us. We were seated at a table with the food and beverage director, Nethaji Dasarathan. This was at the breakfast with the officers for C&A members with over 350 points. Michael will not still be on October 26, but the captain will still be Ron Holmes, and the cruise director Casey Pelter. Anything you want me to ask anyone regarding the February cruise?

Michael Rasmussen was hotel director, and he was seated at the table behind us. We were seated at a table with the food and beverage director, Nethaji Dasarathan. This was at the breakfast with the officers for C&A members with over 350 points. Michael will not still be on October 26, but the captain will still be Ron Holmes, and the cruise director Casey Pelter. Anything you want me to ask anyone regarding the February cruise?
Thanks -- we do this breakfast too and really like meeting with the staff in such a small group. I will put together a couple of questions. By Oct., more things about DD will be clear.

A few weeks before your cruise, other CC posters reported that Michael Rasmussen and Captain Olsen talked a lot about FR getting DD during the officer meetings. We have had breakfast with Michael also -- he really is great.

Edited by SherriZ366

I've heard the report about the FR dining room conversion on other threads. If FR has 3 separate dining rooms, it will have less restaurants than QU -- I think I heard Grande and Izumi and one they did not know. Nothing about Coastal Kitchen, which is for JS and up (we always book JSs). If these rumors are true, there would be a lot less choice than QU or even the present Main Dining Room that has 7 restaurants.

I know I have 3 separate posts in response to yours but your recent cruising experience is very helpful to me. If DD is instituted, I will have to plan for our group which includes 2 husbands who usually order from the Always Available menu (which I have read may still exist under DD). My DH is a VERY picky eater. The other person orders a special vegetarian menu -- wedge salad, baked sweet potato and steamed vegetables with ranch dressing (I will contact special needs for her). I will be putting together instructions for the other couple's TA.

Like your screen name -- I am also a "Cruising Grandma."

I don't recall meeting you, but your screen name is very familiar! Did we cruise last year on Freedom together? I was on the last week of August and again the last two weeks of October with Breeezy, Wendy, a friend of mine.

You can see all the menus for the Quantum restaurants on RCI site.

Here are the casual ones:

Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, the cafe @ 270, Johnny Rockets, Windjammer, and Seaplex Dog House.

Complimentary ones:

The Grande Restaurant, Chic, Silk, American Icon Grill, Solarium Bistro and Coastal Kitchen.

Specialty Restaurants:

Michael's Genuine Pub, Chops Grille, Chef's Table, Izumi, Wonderland, Jamie's Italian, and Devinly Decadence

So, on Freedom, there are already five of the casual restaurants. (No cafe @ 270). There is already a solarium bistro, but not restaurant for dinner(Devinly Decadence). There is the bull and bear pub, without food(similar to Michael's Pub), Chops, Chef's Table, and Portofino's (Italian similar to Jamie's Italian.). They are adding Izumi where the card room is now, and a Mexican restaurant in part of Crypt. They will be changing the three floors of the main dining room into three separate restaurants.

The food and beverage director told us these changes will be made during dry dock, but not implemented right away. Oasis will be receiving changes during dry dock next month, and it has been reported that Dynamic Dining will not begin on Oasis until March.

Capacity for Windjammer on Quantum will be 860, The Grande 400+, Chic 400+, Silk 400+, American Icon 400+, Coastal Kitchen 128-135?, Jamie's Italian 132, Chops 108, Wonderland 62, Izumi 44, and Chef's Table 16.

Thanks -- we do this breakfast too and really like meeting with the staff in such a small group. I will put together a couple of questions. By Oct., more things about DD will be clear.

A few weeks before your cruise, other CC posters reported that Michael Rasmussen and Captain Olsen talked a lot about FR getting DD during the officer meetings. We have had breakfast with Michael also -- he really is great.

Yes, I had read that, too, but Captain Olsen got off the day we got on. We met Michael five years ago on Enchantment.