Have The Freedom Dry Dock Upgrades Been Announced Yet?

RCI appear toy has no intentions of testing dynamic dining before full implementation

Their attitude seams to be full speed ahead damn the torpedoes and if it don't work or there are major problems 'oh well we have a captive audience and if they want to eat they will make the best of it'

Apparently DD is the brainchild of some high up executive and they are not going to see their baby denied no matter the cost

It was also confirmed by someone who just disembarked yesterday as well. They had said that initially RCI had wanted to fill in the floors of the dining room on decks 4 and 5 however due to HVAC issues they are not able to do that so the centre opening will remain.

That's good info. I was wondering if they were going to leave the MDRs open or wall them off when they convert ships to DD.

It amazes me that they can add 44 cabins and make all those other changes in just a 24 day drydock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's good info. I was wondering if they were going to leave the MDRs open or wall them off when they convert ships to DD.

It amazes me that they can add 44 cabins and make all those other changes in just a 24 day drydock.

It was really interesting following Drydock Dave's thread on the Navigator's drydock and all that was accomplished there. Similar changes to Freedom and added the flowrider.

Hopefully Dave will be working on the Freedom.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

RCI appear toy has no intentions of testing dynamic dining before full implementation

Their attitude seams to be full speed ahead damn the torpedoes and if it don't work or there are major problems 'oh well we have a captive audience and if they want to eat they will make the best of it'

Apparently DD is the brainchild of some high up executive and they are not going to see their baby denied no matter the cost

Meh, sometimes you have to take risks.

It's clear that (right or wrong) RCI believes DD is the future of dining for their fleet.

If that's the case, it makes little sense to take a ship that remains very popular (like Freedom) and skip an opportunity to add DD during drydock.

If DD becomes a big hit, the same people would probably be complaining that they had to wait 5 years for the next drydock to get DD.

Meh, sometimes you have to take risks.

It's clear that (right or wrong) RCI believes DD is the future of dining for their fleet.

If that's the case, it makes little sense to take a ship that remains very popular (like Freedom) and skip an opportunity to add DD during drydock.

If DD becomes a big hit, the same people would probably be complaining that they had to wait 5 years for the next drydock to get DD.

I agree that RCI is taking a huge gamble on implementing this this fast.

However as a stockholder I sincerely hope that it works better for them than the disaster that is NCL

I agree that testing the concept on one ship would be a good idea, but the writing has been on the wall for a while: We read on this board that lots of people do not care for traditional dining, that people want to see formal night go away, that people are willing to pay for upgraded meals. Well, Dynamic Dining is the child of those desires.

Royal is doing similar changes to the Oasis in October and in only 2 weeks time.

It was also confirmed by someone who just disembarked yesterday as well. They had said that initially RCI had wanted to fill in the floors of the dining room on decks 4 and 5 however due to HVAC issues they are not able to do that so the centre opening will remain.

So... how will it be converted to DD if the main dining room will remain open with all 3 floors? It was my understanding that DD meant multiple new smaller restaurants.

So does that mean that the Freedom will have dynamic dining after dry dock? I thought dynamic dining was going to be tested on the Quantum for a while and then added to the Oasis? That would not be much time for dynamic dining to be tested.

It will be interesting to see how they handle existing MTD reservations. From everything I've read on the Quantum boards, Dynamic Dining and My Time Dining appear to be mutually exclusive models. I expect that DD implementation will also see the implementation of fleet wide pre-paid gratuities;)

So... how will it be converted to DD if the main dining room will remain open with all 3 floors? It was my understanding that DD meant multiple new smaller restaurants.

The main dining room,as you know it,will not be the same........it will be 3 separate restaurants..

When we were on the FOS two weeks ago, they said each floor would be a different dining room. Silk and Grande were mentioned as two of them .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So does that mean that the Freedom will have dynamic dining after dry dock? I thought dynamic dining was going to be tested on the Quantum for a while and then added to the Oasis? That would not be much time for dynamic dining to be tested.
Think they went back on their word to test DD on QU class ships. before it was moved to other classes of ships. If a ship is in line for drydock, they seem to be converting it to DD. FR was not supposed to go to dry-dock until 2016 but the ship has had propulsion problems and they were moved up. Our Jan. 25, 2015 cruise was cancelled and we were re-booked on 2-22-2015.

It will be interesting to see how they handle existing MTD reservations. From everything I've read on the Quantum boards, Dynamic Dining and My Time Dining appear to be mutually exclusive models. I expect that DD implementation will also see the implementation of fleet wide pre-paid gratuities;)
I will be interested in how they handle those with Traditional Dining reservations. All our future FR cruises are booked for late seating. Edited by SherriZ366

• 4 weeks later...
I will be interested in how they handle those with Traditional Dining reservations. All our future FR cruises are booked for late seating.

When we originally booked Quantum(2years out), we chose late dining option, however a year later RCI told us about the new dynamic dining, and that we needed to make reservations for each night of our twelve night cruise.

(4/12-4/24/2015) I made reservations for nine nights a year in advance and before entertainment schedules were posted. (Actually, those still aren't posted for our cruise, but someone posted earlier twelve night schedule.) Some of my dining times conflict with those show times.

When we were on Freedom 8/31-9/7 we had D+ breakfast with the food and beverage director. He confirmed the dining room will be changed into three separate restaurants during dry dock. He stated they would remove the chandelier from the dining room. The carpet and decor will be different on each floor of the dining rooms. The wait staff will wear different uniforms for the three different restaurants. He also said Izumi will be added in the current card room location, and Sabor will be added in part of the current Crypt. Staterooms will also be added in another part of the Crypt. Dynamic Dining will first be introduced on Quantum, but Oasis and Freedom will have the changes made during dry dock, but won't be implemented until spring.

Edited by cruising grandma

When we originally booked Quantum(2years out), we chose late dining option, however a year later RCI told us about the new dynamic dining, and that we needed to make reservations for each night of our twelve night cruise.

(4/12-4/24/2015) I made reservations for nine nights a year in advance and before entertainment schedules were posted. (Actually, those still aren't posted for our cruise, but someone posted earlier twelve night schedule.) Some of my dining times conflict with those show times.

When we were on Freedom 8/31-9/7 we had D+ breakfast with the food and beverage director. He confirmed the dining room will be changed into three separate restaurants during dry dock. He stated they would remove the chandelier from the dining room. The carpet and decor will be different on each floor of the dining rooms. The wait staff will wear different uniforms for the three different restaurants. He also said Izumi will be added in the current card room location, and Sabor will be added in part of the current Crypt. Staterooms will also be added in another part of the Crypt. Dynamic Dining will first be introduced on Quantum, but Oasis and Freedom will have the changes made during dry dock, but won't be implemented until spring.

Any mention of the stairs

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Edited by John&LaLa

No, there were four of us who were mainly asking him about Dynamic Dining for Freedom. We'll be back on Freedom in a little over a month, so I'm sure other questions will arise.

My wife is currently on board, she rarely goes to those events, but I'll ask her what she's heard

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Think they went back on their word to test DD on QU class ships. before it was moved to other classes of ships. If a ship is in line for drydock, they seem to be converting it to DD. FR was not supposed to go to dry-dock until 2016 but the ship has had propulsion problems and they were moved up. Our Jan. 25, 2015 cruise was cancelled and we were re-booked on 2-22-2015.

I recently read on this board someone reporting they were told while on a cruise that DD wouldn't be implemented on Oasis until February even though drydock is months earlier. That would put it after Quantum and give them time to work out the bugs. I read it here so it must be true... ;)

I recently read on this board someone reporting they were told while on a cruise that DD wouldn't be implemented on Oasis until February even though drydock is months earlier. That would put it after Quantum and give them time to work out the bugs. I read it here so it must be true... ;)

When Royal originally announced DD on Oasis, they stated that it wouldn't be implemented until March.