New-look Ocho Rios cruise ship terminal now complete

NightOne

Just saw this article:

New-look Ocho Rios cruise ship terminal now complete

Seems like this would have more impact on cruiselines docking at Montego Bay as opposed to Falmouth.

Thoughts?

What kind of impact?

I think this is fantastic. OR has needed an upgrade and it sounds great! A safe pedestrian walkway to town? This will be a wonderful addition including stands selling food.....EXCELLENT. Makes me want to cruise into OR again.

What kind of impact?

Meaning that ships currently docking at Montego Bay would consider moving to Ocho Rios in the future. I have zero information on this and was just asking for thoughts.

Overall it seems like the Ocho Rios cruise port just got a whole lot better.

Being that it is much closer to a lot of the main cruise excursion attractions (Dunn River Falls, etc.) it would seem a lot more attractive port now. :)

Edited by NightOne

I agree, although ships take a lot more into consideration when choosing a port. They've been docking in MoBay and Ocho Rios for years, with Falmouth being the new port.

This is exciting news, I think. I've also read about a ferry that will soon be in business from Montego Bay to Negril!!! This is fantastic news for those cruising into MoBay.

Jamaica has improved immensly over the last 15 years or so. Much cleaner, awesome roads, great tour options. The difference between the first time I went to Jamaica and the last time (which was 25 years ago.....and last May) is amazing. Still has the same charm, just much cleaner!

I haven't cruised into Ocho Rios in about 10 years, although I've been there on a land stay two years ago. Should be interesting to see the differece in the port next time I dock there.

That came across a news feed of mine yesterday and I was thrilled to see that they had redone the port.

I can't wait to see pictures come rolling in from cruisers with more info of what all it has and what it looks like. :)

We'll be there in December and, I am curious for those that have been there before and have seen the article and photos, if they think the enhancements will improve access to the adjacent public beach. There was a thread here in the Jamaica ports of call section that showed, via a Google Map, and rather convoluted pathway from the port to the beach (which included a description of the gauntlet of locals trying to sell a little bit of everything. Not really sweating things if we have to make our way through the old way, but if things have changed for the better, I would be nice to know before we arrive.

It will be interesting to see if the new promenade is policed at all, to give tourists some protection from the very aggressive hawkers. Ocho Rios has certainly been costing themselves business, some cruisers report they have stayed on their ships just to avoid the intense pressure. We'll be there in January and would love to feel a little safer walking around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hated the old customs area when returning to the ship here.

It was so old and scary.....and moved so slow.

But, we never had a problem with the locals.

We just went to the big tent got our excursion and off we went.

Upon returning could not wait to get back on board.

Safe travels.