Anyone do Portage Glacier Cruise & Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center excursion?

JimAOk1945

We are going on the Portage Glacier Cruise & Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center excursion in Anchorage.

Have any of you done this? There is a lot of information on TripAdvisor and videos on YouTube, but there doesn't seem to be very much information here on CC. Opinions and comments welcome. I value CC input.

Thanks

Edited by JimAOk1945

We have visited both locations. They are about an hour south of Anchorage. Depending on how many people are in your party it would probably be less expensive and more relaxed to rent a car for the day and drive down.

The glacier tour is an hour long. The glacier feeds a lake and the boat ride is very smooth. The visit to the animals can take as long or as little time as you want. Plenty of animals to see including some bears.

We are contemplating making a stop at both locations this week as we drive back to Anchorage from Summit Lake. We will probably decide on the fly depending on when we leave our lodge, but they are both good ways to kill some time before our late evening flight.

The Portage Glacier cruise and the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center are two of my favorite budget options in Southcentral Alaska. Having a rental car is the best way to see it. But even as part of a "tour" its some good stops.

A Prince William Sound glacier cruise is an even better look at glaciers, but those are more expensive and take up a good part of the day.

Earlier this month we hiked Portage Pass to get to the shore of Portage Lake. If you scroll down at the link, you'll see pictures of Portage Glacier and the M/V Ptarmigan: http://akstafford.blogspot.com/2016/07/portage-pass-trail-to-portage-glacier.html

We have visited both, however did not take the boat tour at Portage Glacier due to our timing. We spent over 3 hours at the Wildlife Refuse Center. Good photo opportunities, very large area, with a huge gift shop. We would go back again, if in the area. Here are a few photos from the center. Also check for their bear feeding schedule. A ranger gives a nice 20 minute talk about the bears, while the employees feed the bears for some really good close-up pictures. They are many more more birds & animals to see in the center. Plan your priorities or take them all in. We did these & more events via the rental car last year.

1609_edited-1_zpsoiojpe4q.jpg[/img]

MUSKOX

1826_edited-1_zpsnbmkwm4w.jpg[/img]

Grizzly Bear

1528_edited-1_zpsvtdho1fn.jpg[/img]

Linx

1638_edited-1_zpsnpqnylr7.jpg[/img]

Caribou

1268_edited-1_zpsa2qhrqat.jpg[/img]

Black Bear

Most of these areas begin about an hour's drive outside of Anchorage.

We really had a good day during our time from Girdwood to Seward. Lots of things to see along the road & some short hikes to hopefully see some Salmon as they were getting ready to spawn up the river.

Happy Travels, John

John, thanks for your feedback and awesome pictures. My wife will love this. Since we are on a ship sponsored excursion I'm not sure how much time we will have. Can you recommend a certain area we should consider to maximize our time at the Wildlife Center?

I've been to both, only with deep discounts, and Just time fillers. I would never consider going at full price. (just my preference) But, I much prefer my wildlife in the wild, and will always go on a PWS boat tour. :)

The wildlife conservation center was included as part of our cruise tour on the way from Anchorage to Whittier. The stop wasn't one of the things I was eager to do--but once we got there, I enjoyed our time there. We had seen many of the species in Denali, but at the center, we got to see them a lot closer.

To JimAOk1945

Please send me an email at sfaigle@aol.com

I will try to answer all your questions. Please include time frame you have on this portion of your trip. Thanks your comments on the photos.

Happy Travels, John Honegger

John, we booked our excursion through HAL and will be in Anchorage on August 8. Our excursion is from 1:30 - ? I'm assuming we will have some time at the Refuge to wander on our own, which is why I asked for tips on how to maximize our time there. Maybe the tour guide will offer some advice. Thanks for the information you have provided here.

Seems to me it was around 4:30 pm on the bear feeding. Worth the effort to be there. The bridge over the area will be less crowded after the feeding & people have gone to other viewings. Bears will still be close for an excellent photo opportunity. Hope you have lots of free time to enjoy the animals.

Happy Travels, John

Hey Jim, will your wife be taking pictures on this next cruise? Just wonderin, inquiring minds would like to know. Was up in Alaska last month, an am wantin to go again.

Yes, she will take loads of pictures. That's something she is really looking forward to. She creates slideshows for her website from her pictures. When they are uploaded and ready for viewing, I will post a comment here with a link. There will be a section for this cruise with separate slideshows for each port as well as one for pictures taken around the ship. Thanks for asking.

• 1 month later...

Jim, We were on the cruise with you and we met you briefly at the Meet and Greet where you took a great picture of us...thanks! I just finished watching the slide show today. What wonderful memories you and your wife create with your slide shows. Thanks for generously sharing these memories of your wonderful 50th Anniversary!

Jim, We were on the cruise with you and we met you briefly at the Meet and Greet where you took a great picture of us...thanks! I just finished watching the slide show today. What wonderful memories you and your wife create with your slide shows. Thanks for generously sharing these memories of your wonderful 50th Anniversary!

Hi! I remember meeting you. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. We had a fantastic cruise on the Maasdam. My wife and I are still talking about how wonderful it was. It was our first HAL cruise but it won't be the last! Happy cruising wherever you go next.

Edited by JimAOk1945

• 6 months later...
The wildlife conservation center was included as part of our cruise tour on the way from Anchorage to Whittier. The stop wasn't one of the things I was eager to do--but once we got there, I enjoyed our time there. We had seen many of the species in Denali, but at the center, we got to see them a lot closer.

Do you remenber the tour name/number and which line? thanks