NYC taxis

holidaydude

We are going to be staying in NYC Lexington avenue then leaving from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in the beginning of January.

Never been to NYC before therefore are we best to do the following:

Book taxi with hotel when we get there

Book transfer at home before we leave

Grab a cab on the day?

Any thoughts much appreciated

Thank you.

I'd price out Dial7 and Carmellimo online (coupons available) and book for a pickup at a specific time. The price will be agreed upon ahead of time. The total fare would be a base price plus possible tolls depending on the route plus 18-20% tip.

If you take a random taxi to Brooklyn, there's a chance that the driver might not know exactly how to get to the Brooklyn Cruiseport. If you go that route, I would have printed directions with you.

Agree with Carol. Price out ahead of time. Check for apps on your smartphone; I believe they've been known to give discounts for in app reservations.

Pre-booking with the hotel will be expensive.

Random cab will definitely be a true NYC experience that you can skip...

The other option is Uber. They'll usually be with you in five minutes or less, they're fully licensed by the Taxi and Livery Commission in NYC, they're not expensive, and honestly I get much better service in an Uber than a cab. (And if you haven't taken one before, there's usually a deal floating around to get you a free one.)

We arr also getting on a cruise from new york with NCL in october 2016 and i need help with hotels. looked everywhere but they are sooo expensive. any recommendations?

Please provide more details. Exact date(s)? Number of people? If flying, which airport? If driving, from what area? Hotel budget? Sightseeing requirements, if any?

cruise starts on 30OCT so I need hotel for dates 27oct- 30oct and flying to JFK. 2 adults and 1 child. The cheapest I found is 108$ p. night but on Staten Islands so trying to find in this price rage but more central located

Honestly I'd be terrified to stay in a hotel in this area for that price. Also be prepared to have over 1000 kids on that particular sailing. Most of the NJ schools have most of that week off. We've sailed that week twice on NCL (since we have kids in NJ schools). Many folks on the ship seem a bit surprised by this if from out of town.

Hi well this price is for military lodging because my husband works for the military so I am sure it will be nothing to worry about but I sill preferred to be in a regular hotel somewhere in Manhattan but I just see that it is impossible...trying to safe some money because the cruise it self and flying from Germany will be already kind of expensive. as far as the children it's ok our son will be 4 so he will have fun. October is very good month to book from Germany because here is low season. just not sure if we will be able to use public transportation getting easy around from Staten Islands to Manhattan.

If you're at the Navy Lodge, public transportation is available to Manhattan, but it's slow. The S53 bus stops right outside, gets on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge right away, and gets you to the 86th Street subway station in Brooklyn directly on the other side of the bridge. This is on the R line, which runs local; depending on your destination you'll probably want to change onto the D or N line a little way up the route. It takes about an hour to get to midtown (a bit less to the Financial District), but you can do it all for the standard $2.75 fare. You'll need to find a way to get a MetroCard though, to qualify for the free transfer to the subway.

You almost certainly won't find anything else anywhere near the price, but other places to look for hotels may be Jersey City, Brooklyn or Long Island City. (Getting to Jersey City and back to Manhattan with luggage may get expensive though.) Or you can try for an Airbnb -- these can be cheaper but they can be very hit or miss.

cruise starts on 30OCT so I need hotel for dates 27oct- 30oct and flying to JFK. 2 adults and 1 child. The cheapest I found is 108$ p. night but on Staten Islands so trying to find in this price rage but more central located

Staten Island is super inconvenient. Don't consider staying there. You should be looking at Long Island City.

I'm seeing a Howard Johnsons on us.venere.com in Long Island City for $72 plus tax and decent reviews. It is near the 21st St Queensbridge "F" train subway, which means you can get there via Airtrain/subway from JFK - looks like E train at Sutphin Blvd transferring to the F train at Briarwood.

Hopefully some New Yorkers can comment about this area of Long Island City - 12th St between 37th & 40th Ave.

If you can get anywhere close to that kind of price in Long Island City, that would be well worth doing. LIC and Astoria are upcoming areas that are remarkably close to Midtown but remarkably little-known, mostly because people say 'ew, Queens'. Several of my friends and colleagues now live there for that reason. (When I was looking for an apartment in the city I assumed I'd land up in Astoria. As it happens I ended up in Harlem, but I'd live in Astoria in a heartbeat.)

Don't try changing to the F at Briarwood though -- the E doesn't stop there during the day on weekdays. Just go to the next station (Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike) where the F will be on the other side of the same platform. Or continue to Forest Hills, where the F will be on the same side of the same platform.

Thanks MarlboroBell! I was hoping someone would give some substance to my high level analysis of the NYC subway map. If you also live in Berlin Ma, we are practically neighbors.

Seriously, there are a lot of deals out there if you poke around. Even if you have to go above $108, it's well worth it to stay in Long Island City, particularly with a 4 year old. Brooklyn would be another option. I've stayed in some offbeat places in Borough Park - nothing I'd recommend on this more selective forum but perfectly clean and in safe neighborhoods. If you're on a budget, you're on a budget and you have to live with that reality.

OP - It's also possible to take the subway and bus to the cruise terminal from Queens. Once you figure out a place to stay, there are lots of folks who can give good subway/bus tips.

Thank you so much everyone for all this information. I just decided to do not go with Navy Lodging. Checked the websites for Howard Johnson in Long Island City and they have a price even lower than 108$ a night so I am thinking about booking it tomorrow. so not familiar with the city and the area but hope it is in good neighbourhood and it will be safe especially with a small child.

Thank you so much everyone for all this information. I just decided to do not go with Navy Lodging. Checked the websites for Howard Johnson in Long Island City and they have a price even lower than 108$ a night so I am thinking about booking it tomorrow. so not familiar with the city and the area but hope it is in good neighbourhood and it will be safe especially with a small child.

Go for it ASAP. Post back when you have a reservation and folks will give you transportation tips. You will be much closer to midtown Manhattan and you will save yourselves a ton of time and hassle with a 4 year old. In addition, you have an economical public transit option from JFK, which you would never have had to Staten Island.

HoJo in LIC should be fine - as in traveling anywhere, just practice common sense as urban travelers, especially if & when returning to the hotel in the late evening/night. Entire LIC is up-and-rising and going thru changes, gentrifications with upscale folks moving in - lots of moderately priced & even luxury condo's going up. HoJo is somewhat sandwiched between warehouses & commercial buildings on one side and city-owned housing projects on the other side, but is still a relatively safe neighborhood. If the special rates look good and is fully refundable/cancel without penality - book it soon & lock in the savings, but feel free to keep looking as you get closer.

In total, there are 8 to 10 moderately priced hotels in the LIC area, mostly boutique or junior sized, not full-scale deluxe ones - perfectly fine for families and travelers on a budget, clean & comfortable and it's just one subway train stop from the East side of Manhattan a/k/a the "City" to most tourists.

Roughly 7 or 8 blocks further southeast of HoJo is Queensborough Plaza, where the #7 and N subway train run above ground on the elevated tracks - and is a key transfer point for many local residents. Literally across the street is a new Comfort Inn, and about 2 blocks north is a Quality Inn, there is also a Best Western with relatively good reviews on T---Advisors (affiliated with CC's corporate parent) Have a look at those and it seemed to me from my casual mobile browsing earlier, it's priced about the same - just need to track down those special military and/or government/per diem rates, which often but not always the lowest priced deals around. Bring them up on Google Map & do a virtual/street view (Earth) of the property & surroundings to see for yourself ... please note that some of the ground level views are 1 to 2 years old, and are already outdated due to rapid & ongoing (housing) building booms in the area.

If available hotel booking rates are within $5 to $10 nightly between properties, I would consider booking one closer to Queensboro Plaza with #7 & N subway train service, it has lots of vehicle traffic 24/7 and busy - and, yes, noiser (which are masked/blocked by double-insulated windows & the sound of air conditioning, for easier sleeping)

Flying into JFK and if traveling/packing lite, and even with typical 22" rollers & a backpack, you can easily use the AirTrain to Jamaica, get the Metrocard for subway/bus travel at the station's kiosk (cash or credit/debit card) and ride the E/F subway to the hotel (and/or transfer to the #7 subway if necessary for getting closer to the lodging, depending on your final option). MTA has online portal and mobile app to help with navigation NYC's relatively complex subway/train system and bus transfers, etc. And, yes - it is possible to ride/transfer via subway to get close to the Brooklyn cruise pier, etc. Otherwise, a flat-rate car service ride from LIC to the pier would be quite reasonable and there is absolutely no tolls whatsoever to worry about, unlike Staten Island with a $15 one-way toll (Brooklyn to SI only)

On a side note, just got a local flyer in the mail that Dial 7 - one of two popular CC car service in NYC, is promoting Flat Rates, No Surprises with its mobile booking app - with $6 Off for 1st. time use only, and $4 off any ride of $27 and up (offer is valid thru 9/30/2016) and they have minivans and full size vans.

For Jpkrisreddie:

NYC is one of the few places where a government/military rate may not be your best option. I've frequently got a better rate on the weekend from AAA, for instance.

Where are you in Germany? Twenty years out and I still miss it...

As soon as I woke up this morning I called the Howard Johnson Long Island City and booked a room. 3 overnights with breakfast was only total of 253$ and can cancel free of charge up to 48 hours before arrival. So I think this was a good deal! !!:) The address is 38-61 12th Street.

This public transport in NYC sounds crazy but I think we will figure it out:)))) will try to check on some rates for car service ( taxi) or will try the public transportation from JFK and then also from the hotel to the cruise terminal Manhattan :)

Thank you all sooo much for the great tips. If not I would be stuck on Staten Island and pay even way more:))

by the way currently station in heidelberg Germany:)

I don't want to throw a wet blanket on the idea of staying at the Howard Johnson in Long Island City, and I fully admit to not having been in that area of LIC, but looking at the Google street view and reading some reviews on Trip Advisor, I'd be hesitant to recommend staying at that hotel to someone coming to NY with a 4 yo child.

While much of LIC is being gentrified, it appears from what I've seen and read on line the particular small area around the hotel is sketchy looking, not redeveloped, and not really near anything. Even I might feel uncomfortable walking back to and from the subway and I was born and raised in NY City and traveled regularly by subway through all areas of the city at all hours of the day and night.

I think you should look into the other hotels mentioned by mking8288 near the Queensborough Plaza subway station. It's a much busier area of LIC, immediately adjacent to transportation, and one that I believe you'll feel more comfortable in. If you can get a reasonable hotel rate, even if slightly more expensive at one of the properties there I think you should seriously consider staying in that neighborhood instead.

I found one hostel but no thank you...haha. also the other hotels in the area I looked at are way more expensive. went on TripAdvisor ( german one) and the comments about the HOJo are pretty good but I have to agree looking at Google maps it does not look very good but the subway stop is like only 3 min away....

If I may, I work in LIC down by the water Vernon Blvd across from the Wyndham Garden Long Island City Manhattan View and my wife works right on Queens Plaza North I know the area very well.

As to the HJ LIC on 12th Street is right next to the Queensboro Houses (NYC Housing Authority Project) and I used to play softball for work just west of there Queensbridge park, not a place to be after dark. There is a subway stop on the F one block away 21st Queensbridge stop (get the queens bridge theme here, the Queensboro/59th or Ed Koch what ever you want to call it bridge is right there).

I even use that stop as an alternate to 23rd St. Court Square when having subway issues.

My suggestion is to stay closer to Queensboro Plaza at the other hotels mentioned.

I am not suggested the hotel across from my job, never been there. International flight crews do stay there on contract and the hotel is about 90% tourist. It is just a long walk to the subway, if you want to do that and I do it every week day sure check out the hotel. Other than the long walk, there is not much services directly near the hotel. For lunch I even have to walk a few blocks.

But they are building a brand new luxury hotel right next to it >G<

FWIW

My impression is that the OP is on a very tight budget. Could we come up with a "Plan B" for after dark? Can you get taxis at Queensboro Plaza? The taxi fare finder says $10 from Queensboro Plaza to Howard Johnson's, which might be a reasonable option.