Personal Care Attendants

Jack'smom

We are looking to bring our son's personal care attendant with us on our next cruise as we found that the children's club programs are not in reality inclusive of children with disabilities. Does anyone know if any cruises offer discounts for personal care attendants or are willing to waive the double occupancy fee for their room. I am finding a lot of support for service animals but not a lot of support for families that need personal support. Any experiences?

We are looking to bring our son's personal care attendant with us on our next cruise as we found that the children's club programs are not in reality inclusive of children with disabilities. Does anyone know if any cruises offer discounts for personal care attendants or are willing to waive the double occupancy fee for their room. I am finding a lot of support for service animals but not a lot of support for families that need personal support. Any experiences?

There have been a few other threads about bringing attendants along, but I didn't notice any recently.

You might do a search on the term "companion" for starters, even though this isn't quite exactly your need.

You are new to CruiseCritic. And Welcome!

Are you also new to cruising?

In general, if one person stays in a cabin instead of two, the charge is the same; that one person is charged "double" (except for a few things like port fees and perhaps taxes, but those aren't usually much).

Keep in mind that otherwise, a lot of people could "declare" that the second person is a caretaker, and try to benefit.

Others here may know of any appropriate specials that might be useful to you.

Do you have a preferred cruise line, or are you open to suggestions?

An inside cabin is by far the least expensive, so perhaps you could get that for your son and caretaker. Then if you had a room with a balcony (?), they could share that with you during parts of the day.

If you care to mention a few details about your son's condition/needs, then maybe (*maybe*) there will be others here who can comment on their experiences with similar family situations.

You might look for special promotions with various cruises for lower Solo Suppliments. Or put your son in a cabin as the 1st occupant and caregiver as the 2nd. Then if you really want this person to have a cabin to himself, have your son in your cabin after boarding the ship.. Get adjoining cabins or you across the hall in a balcony and the other an inside opposite your door.

But I have never seen any specials for Care Givers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

If there were specials for care givers, every spouse of a disabled person would be putting in for it. Does this person live with you? Full time? Like a nanny? People have been known to bring a nanny along to watch the kids. EM

I realized from another response above that it isn't quite clear what you are asking.

Are you asking about having the caretaker share a cabin with your son?

Or are you asking about getting the caretaker a separate cabin entirely, while you son stays with you? If this later, is it important how close everyone needs to be on the ship? (Some ships have "studios" for singles.)

Again, if you could share a few more details, at the least which ship(s) you are considering and which category/size of cabin or suite, we could offer more assistance.

No special exceptions are provided for care attendants nor should be expected. Cruise lines do not give care attendants discounts nor do they waive the supplement fee. The care attendant is taking up a room that is considered revenue and receives the same treatment as well as provided the same services of any other passenger.

Suggest you consider :

• Selecting a ship that has studio cabins . Important to note the cost of a studio cabin can often be more expensive that a standard cabin with the single supplement depending on the promotions at the time of booking
    NCL Epic has studio cabins.
    RCCL Radiance Class ships have about 4 inside studio cabins
    RCCL Anthem and Ovation also have studio cabins.
  • Check for 50% or more off the 2nd passenger promotions.
  • Try to book 2 cabins. The first cabin would need to accommodate 3 passengers but you only book 2 names. The second cabin just needs double occupancy and than book 2 others. For exampled son/dad in one and mom/attendant in other. Than once on board go to Guest Services and get an extra room card to the first cabin for you and just make a switch on board.

I always recommend people call the accessibility desk of whatever cruise line(s) they are considering. You may not get the answer you are hoping for but if not, you have only wasted a few minutes of your time. And who knows, they may have the ability to give you a break on the cost.

None that I'm aware of anyway.

I think it'd be too open to rooting like service dogs.

Friends of ours now always take a "Nurse" with them. No discount on any line they've been on including, Princess, Celebrity, Azamra and Silverseas (that I can recall).

Is this someone already working for them (or perhaps a friend/acquaintance) or a professional hired just for this?

If the latter, how did they find her/him? Through a service?

We noticed mention of this type of thing a couple of years ago here, and it got us thinking.

Then on an international flight, we saw a couple where one of the pair was severely disabled, and they obviously had someone with them who was helping.

(The couple sat in Business class, and their helper sat in coach. I assume the helper would be allowed up front if there was a need, such as a trip to the lav.)

Anyway, it got us thinking... at some point, one of us will probably need a bit more help than the other can give, or perhaps it would only be that the other would like a bit of a break on a vacation...

So we realized that finding someone to go with us would probably be the way to go.

Having younger adults with young children to join us can provide some help (and does, even now ;) ), but that wouldn't work when/if more serious help is needed.

But how to find such a person, if one doesn't already know of someone?

Thanks.

Is this someone already working for them (or perhaps a friend/acquaintance) or a professional hired just for this?

If the latter, how did they find her/him? Through a service?

We noticed mention of this type of thing a couple of years ago here, and it got us thinking.

Then on an international flight, we saw a couple where one of the pair was severely disabled, and they obviously had someone with them who was helping.

(The couple sat in Business class, and their helper sat in coach. I assume the helper would be allowed up front if there was a need, such as a trip to the lav.)

Anyway, it got us thinking... at some point, one of us will probably need a bit more help than the other can give, or perhaps it would only be that the other would like a bit of a break on a vacation...

So we realized that finding someone to go with us would probably be the way to go.

Having younger adults with young children to join us can provide some help (and does, even now ;) ), but that wouldn't work when/if more serious help is needed.

But how to find such a person, if one doesn't already know of someone?

Thanks.

The people I know use an agency. But they have three or four who do nearly all their work, it is usually one of those. Now it isn't inexpensive and the "Carer" travels however they travel, so Business Class or first class and on the ship they book a multi room suite.

After the husband had a stroke, the day after they disembarked from Silver Whisper, it was use a service or he'd have to stay in hospital, nearly an hour from their property, plus he wanted to get home to his horses and dog, so for them it was a no brainer.

No personal experience, but I doubt it. Closest I've heard is of some people being able to get funding to cover normal attendant/agency fees to bring a carer on a cruise with them (as in - covering the same costs as if the carer was assisting the PWD in their own home), but the PWD/family is still expected to pay the carer's fare, plus any airfares, etc. I'd agree with what earlier posters have said - that otherwise it's likely just too open to exploitation. Doesn't hurt to ask though - you've nothing to lose and the worst they can do is say no.

No personal experience, but I doubt it. Closest I've heard is of some people being able to get funding to cover normal attendant/agency fees to bring a carer on a cruise with them (as in - covering the same costs as if the carer was assisting the PWD in their own home), but the PWD/family is still expected to pay the carer's fare, plus any airfares, etc. I'd agree with what earlier posters have said - that otherwise it's likely just too open to exploitation. Doesn't hurt to ask though - you've nothing to lose and the worst they can do is say no.

:confused:

What kind of "funding" is available for people "...to cover normal attendant/agency fees to bring a carer on a cruise with them..."

(That is, "...covering the same costs as if the carer was assisting... in their own home"...)

Is this something like the special wish foundation for children?

Is it only for children?

Never heard of such a program, but it would certainly be great to learn about it!

What kind of "funding" is available for people "...to cover normal attendant/agency fees to bring a carer on a cruise with them..."

(That is, "...covering the same costs as if the carer was assisting... in their own home"...)

Is it only for children?

Never heard of such a program, but it would certainly be great to learn about it!

In the USA Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare Advantage Programs, Medicare Supplements and or Private Insurance will NOT cover the costs of the Personal Care Attendant for services other than that which is necessary for the daily care of the individual within their own home. Any funding that might be available to offset the expenses to take the Care Attendant on the cruise would have to come from the private sector such as Make-A-Wish Foundation . Even that is not a gauranteed option as application must be submitted and it can be several years to determine if the individual eligible for a wish and than must be placed a list for funds to becomes available.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Is it only for children?

I'm in Australia, where we've just got the National Disabilty Insurance Scheme coming into play - riddled with problems, but the idea is it lets a pwd live life with as much normality and independence as possible. I don't know the person directly; it was someone my case manager knows - but I gather they are a person who loves to travel and was able to argue for an attendant carer to be funded. They still had to pay the carer's cruise fare, but the carer's daily hours were funded.

I can give as an example what we hope to do someday. My son is developmentally disabled, and in our state he is on the disabled waiver (he is a young adult). He has someone come in to our home on a regular basis to work with him on various skills, interpersonal, social, training him in various things. As part of his budget we have chosen a route that allows us to hire independently rather than go through an agency. We can hire this person (if she is willing) to come with us on a cruise. She would get paid the hours that she works with him on the cruise, say, 8 hours per day. She (or we) would cover her expenses of going on the cruise itself, given that she would have the rest of the day free, we might consider splitting the cost. That is up for discussion. If we required her to go on excursions with him we would of course cover her expenses on the excursions as well. Any of her personal expenses, excursions on her own, spa fees, etc would of course remain her personal costs. Our hope as parents would be that we might have some free time which we have not had over the last 20 years, and our son would enjoy having his friend/therapist to hang out with and enjoy doing some fun things with on the cruise. His budget would cover those 8 hours per day, and she would bill for it, thus receiving the check during her normal pay period.

Does that make sense (as to how a caregiver might get paid from an external source?). I realize it is not available to some, but we are MOST thankful that it is a possibility for us!

One possible source would be a nurse aide from a home health agency.

Or you could advertise for a suitable health care professional. I'm a registered nurse and before I married, I would have jumped at the chance to pay for going on a cruise by devoting some hours to caring for a patient.

........We can hire this person (if she is willing) to come with us on a cruise. She would get paid the hours that she works with him on the cruise, say, 8 hours per day. She (or we) would cover her expenses of going on the cruise itself, given that she would have the rest of the day free, we might consider splitting the cost. That is up for discussion. If we required her to go on excursions with him we would of course cover her expenses on the excursions as well. Any of her personal expenses, excursions on her own, spa fees, etc would of course remain her personal costs. ...........

Friends had caretakers for their father when they went cruising. They paid for all cruise related expenses and paid them their salary. Nothing was prorated based on 'free time'.

Edited by SadieN

^^ That's what I was getting at, only you phrased it rather more clearly.

Oh. Well if one is already paying privately for care, then of course one can negotiate with the caregiver in terms of "where" the care is given.

This is different from a program that would pay for someone with a disability to have a caregiver (NOT the same one who is already being paid privately) accompany them.

We pay for care for very elderly MIL, and of course we can arrange to take the same caretaker with us somewhere, assuming she agrees. And if she doesn't, we could just pay the same amount to someone else instead.

[And as someone mentioned just above, many caregivers would indeed jump for an opportunity like this. But others may have other local obligations and would prefer not to travel away.]

This isn't the same as a program providing assistance for someone without a regular caregiver, but who needs significant extra help to travel, which is what I thought you were describing.

Edited by GeezerCouple

I'm talking about people who have access to a funded caregiver on a regular basis (not paid for out of their own pocket) - and can negotiate, to use your phrasing, where the care is given. E.g. - under our new system here, I have access to funding to cover an attendant carer ... for me only very few hours as I don't need more than minimal assistance - but I am funded x number of hours to request help with shopping, or go to medical appointments or whatever...funded hours are fixed, what I do with them is more or less at my discretion. I personally don't need that kind of external assistance to travel - possibly I would in other circumstances, but I live and travel with family who are able & willing to provide most of the support I need, so it's not necessary. But - someone who had a greater number of care hours, perhaps for personal care as against general attendant care - could (at least in theory - new system is full of faults and generally a nightmare of misinformation to negotiate at present) elect to use those funded care hours for someone to accompany them on a cruise or other holiday.

Does that make any more sense? I'm not always best at explaining myself when I'm tired!

When my mother was alive, I traveled with her and my father as her attendant, but we never got any discounted fare. We did book cabins that would accommodate 3-4 (which are very difficult to find in the accessible cabin categories on most ships, and non-existent on others). Her regular attendant at home was most often unable to travel with them (although we did take her once after my father passed away) as she also had another job. My dad paid my passage when I was there as my mother's caregiver. We paid my mother's attendant her regular salary when she traveled with us, but I did a lot of my mother's care so she had plenty of free time as well. We paid for her cabin fare and tips, and for her shore excursions if she accompanied my mother as well, but not if she took an excursion on her own, and we did not cover her bar tab.

Hiring from an agency is going to be VERY expensive, and of course you would have to train and supervise that person. Much better if you can get someone to go with who you hire privately, or a friend or family member who can provide this care.

There are some agencies that specialize in this. Here are a few examples:

http://www.firstlighthomecare.com/helping-seniors/travel-companion-program/

http://www.ensembleofcare.com/travel-companions.php

http://www.arcadiahomecare.com/travel-care/

Google "travel caregivers" for other options.

> elect to use those funded care hours for someone to accompany them on a cruise or other holiday

From my experience working in U.S. home health care agencies, I would be very surprised if that worked out, for the simple reason that each funded helper would be taking care of multiple patients and couldn't simply leave them to accompany one patient on a holiday. But I've been surprised before.

If anyone does make this approach work, please come back and tell us what you did and how it worked out!

I'm talking about people who have access to a funded caregiver on a regular basis (not paid for out of their own pocket) - and can negotiate, to use your phrasing, where the care is given. E.g. - under our new system here, I have access to funding to cover an attendant carer ... for me only very few hours as I don't need more than minimal assistance - but I am funded x number of hours to request help with shopping, or go to medical appointments or whatever...funded hours are fixed, what I do with them is more or less at my discretion. I personally don't need that kind of external assistance to travel - possibly I would in other circumstances, but I live and travel with family who are able & willing to provide most of the support I need, so it's not necessary. But - someone who had a greater number of care hours, perhaps for personal care as against general attendant care - could (at least in theory - new system is full of faults and generally a nightmare of misinformation to negotiate at present) elect to use those funded care hours for someone to accompany them on a cruise or other holiday.

Does that make any more sense? I'm not always best at explaining myself when I'm tired!

Thanks again for trying to explain.

There are so many ways to structure employment arrangements, and I also get the impression that in your country there are options that aren't typically available in the USA.

We've hired an Aide for very elderly MIL, but as extra help in her assisted living facility for a few weeks after a fall, not for travel.

But someone like that might work out for travel if her (or his) schedule allowed, and - importantly - if the Aide wanted to do this.

I can imagine some jumping at the chance and some not wanting to be far away from friends/family/etc., even if temporarily.

It would also be critical to make sure the Aide *already* knows she/he is not prone to seasickness.

The LAST thing one needs would be an additional unexpected patient! :(

I guess this arrangement is also similar to those who (as mentioned occasionally here on CC) are able to travel with a nanny, but the "job description" would be different.

Anyway, we are just starting to think about all of this, just in case the future makes it necessary if we want to continue traveling...