Credit cards in Barcelona

Visa and MasterCard are accepted everywhere that takes credit cards, but some places won't accept American Express. Some little places don't accept credit cards at all, but that's fairly rare in a big city like Barcelona.

I'm sorry, I can't help you on the interact card.

Edited by lisiamc

Visa and Mastercard are accepted widely, however Amex and Diners not so much.

If your card does not have chip and pin then you will need to show your passport when using the card.

I don't know what an 'Interact' card is! If it is a debit card with affiliation to visa/mastercard then it probably will be ok. It is probably better to check with the card's issuer to see if it can be used in Europe and what charges are incurred!

Edited by VMax1700

Visa and Mastercard are accepted widely, however Amex and Diners not so much.

If your card does not have chip and pin then you will need to show your passport when using the card.

I don't know what an 'Interact' card is! If it is a debit card with affiliation to visa/mastercard then it probably will be ok. It is probably better to check with the card's issuer to see if it can be used in Europe and what charges are incurred!

We are in Barcelona now for a few days and are able to use a Visa without a chip and pin and have not been asked for our passport with that anywhere. In fact, my suggestion is to leave your passport in the hotel room safe and not carry it around with you when not necessary. You can (probably) use your debit card at an ATM to get euros. ATMs are all over city, many without an additional bank fee to use.

Edited by Chloe1500

LondonTowner, I'm just following guidelines from the U.S. State Dept. about securing my passport in the hotel safe. Our govt suggests carrying a photocopy and of course I can produce the original if I have to prove that I'm a US citizen for purposes of immigration. I'm still a law abiding tourist:)

Edited by Chloe1500

I carry my US driver's license in my purse when I travel and a picture of my passport. Wouldn't this government issued ID meet the legal requirement?

On our TA from Barcelona in Oct 2013 we had 3 cruisers have pick pocket issues. :(

Of course I have my passport in the room safe if needed.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

• 2 weeks later...
Can we use a credit card to pay for a taxi to the ship? Or is it cash only?

Yes, but you have to ask the driver first. They don't always carry the credit card readers with them, especially if the driver has "borrowed" the cab from a friend.

Can we use a credit card to pay for a taxi to the ship? Or is it cash only?

We found that some taxis did take credit cards and some don't. Ask if they have a card reader. Taxis are pretty economical in Barcelona, and ATMs are plentiful.

chloe1500

I visit Spain very frequently and have often been asked for my passport when paying by CC even though I have a chip and pin card. It is illegal in Spain not to carry ID.

I lived in Spain until recently, and always found that my driving licence [with photo] was acceptable. Much easier than having to carry your passport around.

Over the last few years, and the advent of chip and pin cards, the need for identification has reduced significantly.

Wowzz

I also lived in Spain for many years, which is why I still visit frequently. My driving licence is an old style British one which doesn't have a photo on it. Even though I have a chip and pin CC Ihave always been asked for ID in places like El Corte Ingles which I find absurd.

I don't have a problem carrying my passport as I need to carry ID.

Wowzz

I also lived in Spain for many years, which is why I still visit frequently. My driving licence is an old style British one which doesn't have a photo on it. Even though I have a chip and pin CC Ihave always been asked for ID in places like El Corte Ingles which I find absurd.

I don't have a problem carrying my passport as I need to carry ID.

Hope you had your licence stamped by 'trafico' in case you were stopped by the boys in green !

Wowzz

The last couple of times I have been to Spain I have'nt driven. Last time my Spanish friend drove and the time before we were in Barcelona, so no car needed.

I don't think we will get to Spain this year, which will only be the 2nd time in 23 years I haven't been at least once. If I am honest, I don't enjoy Spain as much as I used to. I used to love the fact it was very different and nothing ever worked properly, but all that uniqueness has gone. I do enjoy speaking Spanish, although I am not as fluent as I used to be, due to lack of practice, but it soon comes back.