A real dilemma

Sea and Me

We are booked for an Aug. cruise. We fly Southwest to Puerto Rico. Cruise and air are paid. We just received some horrible news about my brother in law. He is diagnosed with cancer and only has months to live. I'm thinking of canceling the cruise. The question I have is what will Southwest do to our tickets. Do we get a year to use them with some kind of voucher system??

Thanks,

Carol

Southwest will allow you to re-book without a change fee. They will issue a credit for what you paid and you will have to use that credit when you book a new flight. I am not sure what their time frame is but most airlines do allow you one year from the original travel date to to re-book. What Southwest will not do it promise you the same fare you had. Thoughts and prays for your BIL, cancer sucks.

Southwest will allow you to re-book without a change fee. They will issue a credit for what you paid and you will have to use that credit when you book a new flight. I am not sure what their time frame is but most airlines do allow you one year from the original travel date to to re-book. What Southwest will not do it promise you the same fare you had. Thoughts and prays for your BIL, cancer sucks.

Southwest allows you to use the funds for one year from the time the tickets were ortiginally purchased.

Also, if some other travel funds were used to pay for the flight, then the entire amount expires on the date the earliest travel funds expire.

I agree with CB... first talk to the BIL. If he understands the situation, he probably won't want you to change your plans. Plus.. you said he had 'months to live' - the cruise is only at most 3 months away. Enjoy your life while you can. It can happen to any of us.... And it will.

Lost my wife last Dec but she made me promise to live my life to the greatest I could.

My brother was given a similar diagnosis and lived for 3 years. You never know what's going to happen, even if a doctor is talking in certainties right now.

Everyone reacts differently, of course, but the best thing you can do is listen to what your BIL has to say and respect his wishes. The one thing my brother hated more than anything was the pity party aspect of it all, and he thought it ridiculous that anyone should change their plans for him considering that he was alert and living at home and able to get out of the house on his own.

I wouldn't make any cancellations yet. You already have everything booked and I assume you are in the non refundable window for your cruise so wait till just before you would need to leave to make that judgement. You should talk your sister/brother who is the spouse of your BIL and see how they feel as that is the person who will likely need your support in his last dying days.

I would like to thank all of you for responding to my post. After much thought my DH and I decided not to cancel the cruise. My sister and her husband have a large family and a wonderful support system. We will continue with our plans. Thank you again.

Carol

I would like to thank all of you for responding to my post. After much thought my DH and I decided not to cancel the cruise. My sister and her husband have a large family and a wonderful support system. We will continue with our plans. Thank you again.

Carol

Assuming you are only doing a day or two on either end of your 7 day cruise you won't be gone that long. You can be right there for your sister right up to the day before you leave and then jump right back in when you return.

Carol

Sorry to hear that you're having to go through this, Carol. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. It's important that everyone have some down time when facing such a challenge because it takes an emotional and physical toll on everyone involved.