Looking for a premium eastern Caribbean cruise...

crest

Hi folks,

My wife and I will be travelling to America next year, we're having a few days in Vegas and looking to experience a cruise to the eastern Caribbean. I've done a couple of cruises to Alaska and Bahamas but it'll be my wife's first time, so I want to make it memorable.

We're both 30 years old and appreciate good food, drinks and a bit of a light party environment.

• We don't want to spend more than $1,500-2,000 per person for a 7 day cruise.
  • We're currently looking at Celebrity Reflection/Silhouette.
  • We're flexible with dates and would prefer low season as we'd get more bang for our buck, but still have nice hot weather

What cruise line would you recommend, season and cabin type?

Low season in the Caribbean is generally December prior to Christmas, and generally May thru Thanksgiving. However, Celebrity won't be there May- later October.

Holland America may also meet your needs. Same time constraints.

That budget will get you a balcony, perhaps what some refer to as a mini-suite....which is more like a larger balcony cabin.

Edited by CruiserBruce

A lot depends on when you're planning on being here. If it's in summer, actually from April through November, in many cases, your choices of ships will be VERY limited as most ships abandon the Caribbean and go to Europe or Alaska. The other thing you'll be looking at in summer is hurricane season in the Atlantic, so be aware of that.

If you're looking to cruise in winter, I would suggest either Celebrity or Princess for your age group. Many do consider those lines as a step up from lines like Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I would not suggest Holland America as their average age is quite a bit higher---somewhere north of age 65 and higher.

If you're looking to cruise in winter, I would suggest either Celebrity or Princess for your age group. Many do consider those lines as a step up from lines like Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I would not suggest Holland America as their average age is quite a bit higher---somewhere north of age 65 and higher.

The average age on my 2 - 21 night cruises on HAL in 2012 and 2013/14 was lower than my 2 - 7 night cruises on Princess in 2011.

Neither HAL nor Princess have what I would call a light party environment though. HAL has better food though.

For 30 year olds, I'd recommend looking at Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas or Oasis of the Seas. They would certainly give you a memorable cruise.

I would suggest either HAL, then Celebrity or Princess. Emphasis on good food and "premium" might exclude Royal Caribbean - good entertainment, but overly large ships lacking the finer touches of the three mentioned.

Late fall through Spring is the season you want - and Eastern Caribbean has the more enjoyable ports.

I was on Eurodam last year, on a 7 day cruise, and at 60, I was among the youngest. My best friends were on Westerdam last Feb and were right in the demographic at 67 and 75.

And I have been on a 10 day Med where there were around 150 kids...

I was on Eurodam last year, on a 7 day cruise, and at 60, I was among the youngest. My best friends were on Westerdam last Feb and were right in the demographic at 67 and 75.

Heck,I have been on Carnival cruises with a similar demographic! All one can do is predict certain tendencies based on cruise line, cruise length, time of the year and cruise ship quality. Based on my experience (45 + cruises), I kinda think what the OP is seeking would likely be best fulfilled by either Princess, HAL, or Celebrity cruises; all quality cruise lines! Oh yeah,definitely go for a minisuite!

The only cruise I have been on where there was a significantly lower age demographic than ANY of the others was a 5 day Carnival cruise. Maybe everyone who parrots the cliches about HAL being for the super-annuated, have actually experienced HAL, but from my experience I am inclined to believe that they are essentially inexperienced parrots.

Last year I cruised on Norwegian Epic & noticed a large majority were in the 30-50 yrs range. There is a lot to do. Food was good & the Shows were excellent. I found that anytime between November & April is very comfortable. Just keep an eye out for the Holidays & School Vacations. Try 1st couple weeks of November (look out for Thanksgiving), Same for December (avoid Christmas & New Years) & anytime in January. Good Luck!

Time of year and cruise length will

effect average ages.

Celebrity , HAL and Princess consider

themselves Premium cruise lines but a premium experience can be found in the suites on RCI , NCl and even to an extent on CCL.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you can spare the time we would recommend the 14 day (this is a real 14 day and not a back to back) Celebrity Eclipse cruise. We think it is a great itinerary because it gets into the southern Caribbean and has a good mix of ports plus a few sea days.

Hank