Aft cabins on S ships - lower level more private?

tbmrt

We recently sailed on the Equinox and are thinking about getting an aft balcony when we choose an upcoming cruise. Never did one before and think it would be fun.

However, when we were onboard we looked down onto these aft balconies and noticed the lack of privacy due to people peering down from above except perhaps for the lower deck(s). Am I correct in thinking lower decks are more private? Any other concerns being on an aft/lower deck on S ship?

Also concerned about the soot I had read about awhile ago.

Would appreciate input on best ship's aft cabins for us considering the above.

Thanks!

We recently sailed on the Equinox and are thinking about getting an aft balcony when we choose an upcoming cruise. Never did one before and think it would be fun.

However, when we were onboard we looked down onto these aft balconies and noticed the lack of privacy due to people peering down from above except perhaps for the lower deck(s). Am I correct in thinking lower decks are more private? Any other concerns being on an aft/lower deck on S ship?

Thanks![/quote

That's true,

Pick the 3rd down from Ocean view should be fine.

Thanks!

If you book C1 pick the 4th from right and never pick the 1st from RHS for larger balcony.

Edited by iSailor

All depends on the cruise itself. You definitely have the most up and down motion except for the bow. Most cruises would not be an issue. The biggest issue is vibration from the engine at high speeds. It is small but some notice it.

If you are sensitive to motion or noises then this is probably not the place for you.

Thanks!

Sailed aft many times. Upper and lower decks. We never experienced any lack of privacy when sitting on the deck...standing at the rail, yes, you're exposed to those on above decks. Soot depends on the weather conditions. Only once had to wipe down chairs, but staff were very good taking care of that. Aft cabins would be our first choice over port/starboard. And yes, 4th from either end usually has a somewhat larger verandah (stewards room adjoining the cabin extends the verandah across both rooms.)

Edited by oceangoer2

We have sailed on S class aft cabins (mostly the corner aft) 6 times. Love them. It's true that when you're out on the rail you are visible. Not ever an issue for us. When you're sitting in the lounger or chair, no you aren't, not unless you have it right up against the railing. Your feet may show, but we don't find that an issue.

Never had any noise or soot issue, other than a little rattling or something when coming into port or something like that.

To us the many advantages of an aft cabin FAR outweigh any disadvantages, and honestly to us there *are* no disadvantages. Even that long walk to any stair or elevator is a good thing.

Our favorite deck is the penthouse deck. Surrounded top and bottom by rooms and high up on the ship. 1663 being our absolute favorite cabin.

Amazing views and so quiet back there.

Three weeks ago I Was in aft Stateroom 8344 on Equinox. It had the extended balcony, only one day with a little soot. Yes, people above can see you and you can see people below you. There is a small overhang near the door and if you stand there, you are protected from view. We love the aft cabins despite long walk to elevators. No serious motion in the Caribbean and no engine noise at this level. A lower deck will give some noise.