Cruising from Miami v. Port Canaveral

Hi all.... I've cruised a few times but always from NY. I am planning a cruise with my daughter to celebrate her 30th birthday next year. She will fly from the Midwest and I am in NY.... It seems that NY departures are few and far between.... so am considering leaving from Miami or Port Canaveral. Any advice on which port is less hectic? We want to go next May through September, date up in the air. Also... it's tempting to book now but how long do most people wait before choosing? I don't want to miss out on a great cruise that isn't available now. I've cruised on NCL and Carnival (many years ago) and will probably be choosing Carnival bc the prices look better. Advice? thanks so much!

As I live in Florida, I have sailed from all the Florida ports. I can tell you that Canaveral is one of the easiest ports with the least amount of congestion both departing and returning. The parking, if you are driving, is right across the roadway from the embarking building. As there is less commercial shipping, it is not very congested. Only issue is that it is not near an airport and is about an hour from Orlando.

Tampa is another easy port with convenient parking and less congestion. Plus Tampa airport is one of the best in the country.

I avoid Miami at all costs! I will select a less desirable sailing (in terms of costs or ports)

to avoid Miami. Not only is the port difficult, but if you are flying in the Miami airport is an absolute nightmare.

Don't forget to add FLL into the mix.

Which of the three airports gets you better flights? Better to me is pricing at times that fit my needs, you may have other criteria. None of the airports is good, but MIA is worst.

MCO to the port (Pt. Canaveral) is the furthest distance and costliest transfers.

FLL to local port is a breeze - to Port of Miami, not bad as there are reasonable priced shuttles.

MIA to local port is not too bad, but nowhere near as easy as FLL to local - I have not done it to Port Everglades, so no comment.

... Also... it's tempting to book now but how long do most people wait before choosing? I don't want to miss out on a great cruise that isn't available now...

As far as I know, all cruise lines publish their schedules at least 18 months out. There will be no great cruise added later - all are already available. Prices may go up and down but schedules are fixed. And it seems that early bookers get better prices. Certainly they have better choice of cabins.

I so appreciate all of your replies. Our airfare is tending cheapest to Orlando, and with the remarks about Miami I think I just may strike that from the running. I will however look into Fort Lauderdale. Thanks again! and I appreciate the info about the cruises pretty much being set 8 months out. I guess I'm making my plans now! Have a great day everyone! :)

From a former upstater, we haven't sailed from Jax but of the rest, our favorite by far is Port C, then Tampa. Miami is the least fav. Only sailed out of FTL once before but that is where our next cruise sails from.

As someone who flies to for every cruise, I tend to avoid Port Canaveral since it is so far from Orlando. I also think the airport gets a bit crowded on return with the late morning/early afternoon Disney traffic. I've left many times out of MIA or FLL and not really had too many issues. I have appreciated the ease of flying into either of those airports and simply taking a taxi to the port.

As you have never embarked at any Florida port before, pick the ship and itinerary you like the best and just go with that. Same as in New York, sailings are fewer in the summer as most ships have followed the money to Alaska or Europe. Which airport is "nicer" and which port has the shortest or longest drive time from their airports are such minor details that in no way should sway you away from your preferred cruise.

(And those posters who are trying to scare you away from MIA must not have flown through there for many years--baggage drop and claim have been completely modernized and boarding or arriving on a domestic flight is much easier than at FLL which is a mess of construction both inside and out. But again this should in no way deter you from booking a cruise from Port Everglades if that is what you choose)

Edited by fishywood