CLT - safe layover time

4FRCruising

Never flown through CLT before - what would be a "safe" layover time to not have to worry about making a connecting flight. Would be flying USAirways. Looking at a flight that arrives at 8:22 a.m. with connecting flight departing at 9:50 a.m.

If not enough time, I might opt for a flight through PHL with a time I know will be ok.

TIA

I just looked at their terminal map and it looks like the distances between gates could be substantial - depending on the flights, of course. I generally try to keep our layovers at least 2 hours - we're not spring chickens any more and not up to running through an airport. :D Our last trip with a connection at DFW we had about a 2 1/2 hour layover so I figured we'd have time for a nice lunch. We had a head wind, got to DFW later than scheduled, had to change terminals (easy but it still takes time) so our planned lunch turned into pretzels and sodas.

I just looked at their terminal map and it looks like the distances between gates could be substantial - depending on the flights, of course. I generally try to keep our layovers at least 2 hours - we're not spring chickens any more and not up to running through an airport. :D Our last trip with a connection at DFW we had about a 2 1/2 hour layover so I figured we'd have time for a nice lunch. We had a head wind, got to DFW later than scheduled, had to change terminals (easy but it still takes time) so our planned lunch turned into pretzels and sodas.

I hear you about the spring chicken...I'm not one either :D

PHL will work & I know the terminal so I might just do that one.

Thanks for your input :)

Assuming it's domestic-to-domestic (but you don't say), I wouldn't do anything less than an hour. It can be done in 30-40 (not sure what the official minimum connection time is), but I would never feel comfortable doing that unless I was right in the front of the inbound plane.

Book at least an hour and you won't have to stress as much. If it's later in the day, the risk of delays go up and you may want to expand that one hour a bit.

Long story short: Your connection time, especially in the morning, is more than fine.

Edited by Zach1213

Assuming it's domestic-to-domestic (but you don't say), I wouldn't do anything less than an hour. It can be done in 30-40 (not sure what the official minimum connection time is), but I would never feel comfortable doing that unless I was right in the front of the inbound plane.

Book at least an hour and you won't have to stress as much. If it's later in the day, the risk of delays go up and you may want to expand that one hour a bit.

Long story short: Your connection time, especially in the morning, is more than fine.

It would be EWR to SJU on a Friday a.m.

I just connected through CLT twice ( in December) . Very easy to navigate , walks aren't too bad. I will be connecting there in June and Juky and on our return flight we have a 1.5 hour connection window. It is certainly doable and I feel comfortable with it ( and I am very cautious about connection times). I loved the CLT airport , very charming .

I've personally found CLT easier to navigate than PHL but, of course, much varies by the gates you're going between, day of week, time of day, etc. And I've used CLT more than PHL. Is there a back-up plan (e.g., later flight you might get on) if you miss the connection, whether at CLT or PHL?

I just connected through CLT twice ( in December) . Very easy to navigate , walks aren't too bad. I will be connecting there in June and Juky and on our return flight we have a 1.5 hour connection window. It is certainly doable and I feel comfortable with it ( and I am very cautious about connection times). I loved the CLT airport , very charming .

I've personally found CLT easier to navigate than PHL but, of course, much varies by the gates you're going between, day of week, time of day, etc. And I've used CLT more than PHL. Is there a back-up plan (e.g., later flight you might get on) if you miss the connection, whether at CLT or PHL?

OK..finally narrowed down to these 2:

CLT one with 1 hr 28 min layover...if boarding starts 20 minutes before flight that equals about 1 hr 8 min.

PHL one with just under 2 hr layover. There I know I land at terminal F and then take transfer bus to main terminal. Sort of leaning towards this one.

Whole reason for this....United screwed up the flights I booked in July for my April Cruise. They changed flight times to totally unacceptable times. I was originally flying RT from airport near home (AVP) and was to get home on a direct flight at 3:30 (would even be able to pick the dogs up that day). They changed it to getting in at 10:30 p.m. and no longer a direct flight-would have gone to ORD first (so fly from NJ over PA where I live to go to IL to come back to PA.

I canceled those flights on 12/1 and was told I would have refund to my credit card in 7-10 business days. I had found RT flight on USAir that was about $60 more than I paid for my United flights. United sent email 12/6 saying refund approved & then link to check on refund where a few days later it said "refund complete". Well, no credit on my transactions out at my credit card site. Tried calling United & was told you can't talk to any one about this and that it all has to be done through the refund website.

Finally called my credit card co & told them the story. They called and got someone they had me talk to while they stayed on the line.

Person at United said...refund complete, maybe your credit card co is holding up the credit for some reason & you need to check with them. Credit Card rep came back on and told them, no there was no transaction for the credit (posted, held up or rejected for some reason). Told would need to talk to a supervisor but between 8-5 M-F. Next free date I had to do that would be almost the end of January.

Credit Card Co has filed dispute with United for me and given me credit (this was the end of December).....but now that USAir RT flight has gone up over $200.

Thanks for letting me vent about this....so not happy with United.

I can't imagine picking a layover where you have to take a bus to the terminal over one where the gates are all in the same building. I just did that last month and it was a royal pain. We sat on that bus for a good long time before it left the plane area; if we had landed at a jetway, I would have already been out of the gate area, had time to hit the ladies room, and been halfway through my lunch at the [really awful] airport restaurant.

Plus, in PHL, weather can be more of a factor than in CLT.

I'm no fan of USAir, but their operation at CLT is quite efficient. A 1.5 hour layover is well within their comfort zone.

I can't imagine picking a layover where you have to take a bus to the terminal over one where the gates are all in the same building. I just did that last month and it was a royal pain. We sat on that bus for a good long time before it left the plane area; if we had landed at a jetway, I would have already been out of the gate area, had time to hit the ladies room, and been halfway through my lunch at the [really awful] airport restaurant.

Plus, in PHL, weather can be more of a factor than in CLT.

I'm no fan of USAir, but their operation at CLT is quite efficient. A 1.5 hour layover is well within their comfort zone.

The bus really isn't a problem. Never a long wait (sometimes a few minutes for the next one to come). Loaded and on the way really fast-no waiting a long for it to fill. Plane lands at terminal F since it is a small commuter size and the bus actually has its own "gate".

I have lived in Charlotte for over 20 years. The terminals at the airport are very easy to negotiate.

• There is a single terminal. You will only have to clear security one time.
  • The terminal is divided into 5 different sub-terminals: A,B,C, D, and E. There are four security points that feed these 5 sub-terminals.
  • The layout of the terminals is a bit like a four legged octopus. (The E terminal is actually under the D terminal.
  • One can walk from end to end in less than 15 minutes at a comfortable pace.
  • There are plenty of "beep-beep" carts for people with mobility issues. They use these when a person needs to change sub-terminals. There are also plenty of associates who move wheelchairs.
  • For those who move slowly, there are moving sidewalks in every terminal except for E.
  • There are rocking chairs strategically placed throughout the atrium area. (Hey, it's the South...)

I have flown in and out of PHL many times (it is how we used to get to Europe), and I would pick CLT anytime. It is a big airport with a small airport feel.

Good luck!

Edited by TracieABD

OK..finally narrowed down to these 2:

CLT one with 1 hr 28 min layover...if boarding starts 20 minutes before flight that equals about 1 hr 8 min.

PHL one with just under 2 hr layover. There I know I land at terminal F and then take transfer bus to main terminal. Sort of leaning towards this one.

Whole reason for this....United screwed up the flights I booked in July for my April Cruise. They changed flight times to totally unacceptable times. I was originally flying RT from airport near home (AVP) and was to get home on a direct flight at 3:30 (would even be able to pick the dogs up that day). They changed it to getting in at 10:30 p.m. and no longer a direct flight-would have gone to ORD first (so fly from NJ over PA where I live to go to IL to come back to PA.

I canceled those flights on 12/1 and was told I would have refund to my credit card in 7-10 business days. I had found RT flight on USAir that was about $60 more than I paid for my United flights. United sent email 12/6 saying refund approved & then link to check on refund where a few days later it said "refund complete". Well, no credit on my transactions out at my credit card site. Tried calling United & was told you can't talk to any one about this and that it all has to be done through the refund website.

Finally called my credit card co & told them the story. They called and got someone they had me talk to while they stayed on the line.

Person at United said...refund complete, maybe your credit card co is holding up the credit for some reason & you need to check with them. Credit Card rep came back on and told them, no there was no transaction for the credit (posted, held up or rejected for some reason). Told would need to talk to a supervisor but between 8-5 M-F. Next free date I had to do that would be almost the end of January.

Credit Card Co has filed dispute with United for me and given me credit (this was the end of December).....but now that USAir RT flight has gone up over $200.

Thanks for letting me vent about this....so not happy with United.

What does getting the refund from United have to do with not booking the US Airways flight when you found it?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I am very familiar with both airports. (Up until a couple months ago I was the "mayor" of the US airways lounge between C/D at CLT On Foursquare--not sure if that is good or bad...)

I have been equally delayed at both airports. CLT can get socked in with fog and freezing rain, and does not clear delays as fast.

FYI--there are rocking chairs in both airports. I have found more quiet, out of the way spots in PHL over the years. A West is practically deserted much of the day.

PHL has the Dump--aka Terminal F. (There are other names for it as well, but I don't think the mods would like them much...)

CLT has a very long walk from the far end of B to the far end of E. It's more walking then getting from F to A west in PHL. The moving walkways are broken more in CLT than they are in PHL. I think the only walkways broken more are the ones between the main terminal and parking deck at PVD.

Restrooms in both are equal, C/D US club in CLT is nicer than B/C club in PHL, but the A club in PHL is much nicer yet. B club in CLT is small and cramped, like the one at BDL, but I digress.

Much better food options in PHL. Except in the Dump. Which just sucks any way you cut it.

Both can be really crowded, noisy, and frustrating.

PHL is always broiling hot. They have one setting. Heat in the summer and super heat in the winter. CLT is the opposite and is often too cold.

Even if you have to travel through F in PHL, you will not need to clear security twice. Simply take the bus between terminals just like you do at DCA and you will remain within the sterile concourse.

I would probably choose PHL, only because it's a more major hub with more re-routing choices in case of ir ops. It will also give you time to get something to eat. Even if you sit in the back of the bus and have to go from F to A West, you will still have time to get some chow before boarding.

What does getting the refund from United have to do with not booking the US Airways flight when you found it?

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest some combination of cash flow and credit limits. Which makes outright cancelation of the UA ticket, rather than working for a re-routing, even more unappealing.

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest some combination of cash flow and credit limits. Which makes outright cancelation of the UA ticket, rather than working for a re-routing, even more unappealing.

Correct...cash flow :) This time of year I have big work related expenses, plus Christmas so couldn't fork over an almost extra $600 to pay for something I had already bought & paid for back in July. Plus final payment for the cruise was also coming up.

Re-routing with United wasn't an option since they only offered that one flight that had terrible arrival time (They changed from a direct flight that was less than an hour to one that would leave EWR around 2 and not get me home until 10:30 p.m.). I asked if they could book me on the USAirways flight (just the return leg from EWR...this was a multicity booking since for a repo cruise) and was told it had to be on United.

Correct...cash flow :) This time of year I have big work related expenses, plus Christmas so couldn't fork over an almost extra $600 to pay for something I had already bought & paid for back in July. Plus final payment for the cruise was also coming up.

Re-routing with United wasn't an option since they only offered that one flight that had terrible arrival time (They changed from a direct flight that was less than an hour to one that would leave EWR around 2 and not get me home until 10:30 p.m.). I asked if they could book me on the USAirways flight (just the return leg from EWR...this was a multicity booking since for a repo cruise) and was told it had to be on United.

Nothing for nothing, but if you can't front $600 for a short time, what will you do if there is some sort of ir ops that strands you at an airport for three days like a volcano, blizzard, or tsunami? Or you get sick on the cruise and have a clinic charge? Or any number of other things that could go wrong and cost you hundreds or even thousands...

Edited by ducklite

Well, I finally decided and booked the flight from EWR to SJU on the one with the 1 hr 28 min layover at CLT.

Decided on that one since it would be on an Airbus instead of a Dash 8. Figured less chance of a weather delay on the Airbus.:)

Picked a seat way up front so I can volunteer to have them check my carryon so I don't have to drag that along to the other gate too. Hoping maybe the gates won't be too far apart too. :D

US Airways boards front to back. Anyone can gate check their bag, it doesn't matter if there is overhead room left.

I should have a high enough boarding number that I can get them to check my bag through to SJU....not doing a gate check (where you have to pick your bag up planeside and lug it like I would on a dash 8)

I should have a high enough boarding number that I can get them to check my bag through to SJU....not doing a gate check (where you have to pick your bag up planeside and lug it like I would on a dash 8)

Nope. When you gate check, the bag is booked all the way through to your final destination.

When you valet, it is delivered back to the jetway. Two very different terms with very different meanings.

As I said, on US airways it doesn't matter if you are in First class or the back of the bus. If you want to gate check your bag to your final destination, just ask at the desk and they will be happy to tag it to your final destination. Take it to the end of the jetway and claim it in baggage at your final destination.

Decided on that one since it would be on an Airbus instead of a Dash 8. Figured less chance of a weather delay on the Airbus.:)

Let's see....we have a major storm with high winds and reduced visibility....but wait, that's just for the turboprops. Over on the other side of the airport where the Airbuses operate, the skies are clear, and it is a balmy 72 degrees.

In other words....what did you mean that there's less chance of a weather delay depending on the aircraft?

In other words....what did you mean that there's less chance of a weather delay depending on the aircraft?

Aircraft type sometimes makes a difference. Occasionally I've departed an airport where 737's and larger are in a long queue for takeoff while turboprops and regional jets taxi right past and use a secondary runway. It happened to me once on arrival...arrivals to the primary runway were delayed or diverting due to low visibility. I was on a Q400 turboprop and we arrived on schedule since the shorter runway wasn't at it's arrivals capacity limit.

Nowadays, weather detection and avoidance equipment on turboprops, regional jets, and "mainline" aircraft are all equally good. The smaller aircraft are actually better at handling high winds and poor runway conditions and less likely to divert.

The chance of a cancellation during bad weather often depends on route rather than aircraft. The FAA has a clearing house that works with the airlines when and makes deals when there's capacity problems in the airspace system. For example an airline may offer to cancel 3 shorthaul flights out of JFK if a "high value" flight to LHR is allowed to operate.

Edited by kenish