Giving Dramamine to kids?

snoopy5386

I have two kids who are prone to motion sickness and thankfully kid's dramamine works well for them. I don't get seasick so I'm not sure how to give it to them. Do I give it to them only when they are feeling sick? Round the clock the entire week? Even when we are off the ship in port? Any advice appreciated! We spent a previous cruise with a sick kiddo who only wanted to lay in bed most of the week so I'd rather not repeat that.

If you do a search on these boards for "kids Dramamine", you will see that this question has come up on a few other threads before. Hopefully, you can find the answers you are looking for!

I do not know the dosing specifics, but it is best to give it before they feel sick. It works much better at preventing than at treating after the fact. So I would start it either the night before or morning of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do plan on talking to their dr. As I said we've given them chewable children's dramamine in the car with success. Based on their last cruise experience, I do want to make sure I treat them proactively this time.

If they do feel queasy use any combo of these. Keep tummies full

Ginger -candied, capsules (confirm it doesn't interact with other meds, your pharmacist will help you.)

Clear soda

Ginger Ale

Green apples

Soda crackers

Raisins

Fresh air

Looking at the horizon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our whole family uses a ginger essential oil sold by my Ob to combat nausea and motion sickness. Our first cruise I took non drowsy Dramamine. Did not care for it even though I had taken in past for motion sickness.

The next cruise we tried the ginger oil from my dr - will never go back to Dramamine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter gets motion sick and she's been taking Dramamine on cruises since she was around 6 years old. Her pediatrician said it was fine. A few years ago I noticed they started selling Children's Dramamine (grape) and I found that both regular and children's work quite well.

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

I have no experience with Children's Bonine (didn't know they made it!)

But I can tell you what I do for my daughter. We are in Canada and she uses Children's gravol.

If it is same day travel, I give her one gravol just before the plane ride. This usually covers the plane ride and the cab ride to port.

I give her second one as soon as I hear the thrusters firing up on the ship (shortly before sailaway). Many are affected by the vibration and not just the movement.

The next morning, I may give her another gravol, or I switch to Motion Ease. For the rest of the week, she uses motion ease before any meals. It's an aromatherapy oil that you apply behind the ears. Towards the end of the week, we sometimes don't do anything.

Of course if the seas are rough or the ship is going fast (common on the last night when the captain is trying to make up distance), I will give her another gravol.

My daughter is 10 now and is good at telling me if she is fine or if she needs meds. When she was younger, we learned that when she said 'my tummy feels hot" it meant she was going to be sick.

If it gives you any hope, my daughters motion sickness is definitely getting better as she gets older!

• 3 weeks later...

They make children's Dramamine. Our ped said to give it an hour before sailing. At the end of the dosing period 6-8 hours you can continue or discontinue based on how they are doing. It really doesn't work once they have symptoms. If you expect rough seas you might want to give it. You can always stop if it isn't needed. Also we were told to start with the lowest dose, you can increase if needed. You should be able to call your ped's office and ask what they recommend, but the above was the same advice from two peds in the office. You do not need to give it on land. But should give it 30-60 mins before sail away or you think there could be an issue (bad weather, tough seas)

• 4 weeks later...