Packing Tips for January

rjdcruises4fun

My husband and I are on a 10 day roundtrip Barcelona in Jan 2017. Yes, it is a long way away, but I am one of those that starts planning the minute a cruise is booked. :)

For anyone that has traveled around Italy and Rome in January, could you help me out here. I am a fairly cold natured person and I am trying to figure out what to bring and not over pack.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Rachel

Well, it wasn't a cruise, but I spent the month of January in Italy and it was VERY cold. Daytime highs of about 5C, less than 40F. Snowed in Rome a few days after we left. Not sure if that was the norm or not but it was uncomfortable walking around during the day. So be prepared.

I have been in both Barcelona and Italy during January. It can be nice and sunny during the day and around 15c to 19c, but chilly in the evening about 8c to 10c. Not likely to snow, but quite likely to rain. I would bring a warm waterproof coat with a hood as umbrellas are a nuisance to carry. I would also dress in layers as some places, particularly hotels can be hot inside.

Layers. Those packable down jackets take up less space. I had one of those, then a waterproof coat to cover that if it's colder. Do bring an umbrella. Even with that coat on, I was drenched when we had heavy rain while in Palermo, Italy.

• 3 months later...
My husband and I are on a 10 day roundtrip Barcelona in Jan 2017. Yes, it is a long way away, but I am one of those that starts planning the minute a cruise is booked. :)

For anyone that has traveled around Italy and Rome in January, could you help me out here. I am a fairly cold natured person and I am trying to figure out what to bring and not over pack.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Rachel

Rachael,

Are you going on the NCL Spirit? We're booked (18 of us and the group is growing). I've also started research. It'll be here before we know it! Maybe we can share info

Maryann

• 3 months later...
Rachael,

Are you going on the NCL Spirit? We're booked (18 of us and the group is growing). I've also started research. It'll be here before we know it! Maybe we can share info

Maryann

Hi Maryann,

We are going on the Spirit leaving Barcelona on Jan 6th. Is that the same as you? Sorry it took a little bit to get back to you.

Rachel

Do not use fleece. It takes up room and doesn't pack down very well and it does nothing to protect from the wind. Use the packable down/down alternative products that everyone has now for your outer base layer and add a waterproof/windproof shell for the final layer. You may add a sweater under that down if you want.

Footwear is important here - find something water-resistant and get some comfy socks. Walking around in the cold and damp isn't much fun in sneakers!

My experience on this comes from a past trip to Venice, Innsbruck, St. Moritz and Milan in a February a few years back.

get some comfy socks
Excellent point. Wool hiking socks are expensive but they are lifesavers for your feet. They keep your feet warm and dry and the extra padding is the icing on the cake. I generally buy them from closeout sales (from places like Sierra Trading) to save money. Edited by euro cruiser

Excellent point. Wool hiking socks are expensive but they are lifesavers for your feet. They keep your feet warm and dry and the extra padding is the icing on the cake. I generally buy them from closeout sales (from places like Sierra Trading) to save money.

I used to work outside at ski resorts - I learned FAST that you have to have the right combination of socks and boots to handle all the different conditions that come with 8 hours outside in winter weather. I have all kinds of thicknesses of the socks. I love SmartWool socks and the REI-branded ones. I can have sassy socks AND still be warm and comfy.