Maui Questions

rjeffler

I have a group of 8 really active middle aged folks going on this cruise. We originally planned to bike down Haleakala, but our ship doesn't arrive in Kahului until 9am and everyone I've contacted so far won't do a later tour.

I know we are NOT doing the road to Hana. I figure there is enough else on the island to keep us busy for the day.

What did you do that you REALLY enjoyed? I've read a lot about Lahaina, so that may be an option. Is there a tour you would suggest? Or just renting a big van and driving around??

Thanks in advance!!

It'd be easier to make some suggestions if you describe what you like to do...a day at the beach, snorkeling or touring sites?

The Wailea/Makena area in South Maui has some great beaches including some that are less developed but are still easily accessible. Some of them have great snorkeling when the conditions are good & whenever I take visiting friends to one of the "turtle town" locations they always see turtles.

In West Maui (Lahaina, Ka'anapali, Napili & Kapalua) beaches are also good but some have only paid parking. Ka'anapali has the Whaler's Village shopping center & restaurants and Lahaina's historical Front Street has smaller shops, plenty of restaurants but not a great beach. If you're interested in some history, Lahaina has an old missionary house & other historical sites such as a small section of a fort's wall and their old jail.

I'ao Valley is an interesting & scenic short walk (think parking is now $5) located not far from the Kahului pier. Maybe a visit here before going to either South or West Maui would be a good option for you. There's also a free botanical garden (Maui Tropical Plantation) or an aquarium (Maui Ocean Center).

You could drive to the top of Haleakala to view the sites or stop midway in the Upcountry area near Kula...both are cooler & scenic. Also in Upcountry is the Maui Winery in Ulapalakua where you can sample their wines (including Maui Blanc made from pineapple) & take a tour...both are free.

I know that I asked about what you'd like to do on the Valley Isle but decided to provide some generalizations & might be able to offer more information based on what you want to do.

If you enjoy water activities, we have really enjoyed a zodiac trip out of Lahaina, like Captain Steve's. We saw dolphins, turtles, and had some great snorkeling. I think zodiacs are fun but not for those with a bad back. And, you don't have to do the entire Road to Hana. You can pick up lunches, pick a waterfall site somewhere on the road and just do a short hike, with a nice lunch by a waterfall, and maybe jump in if you feel like it. Have fun, Cherie

I think Astro Flyer's remarks are pretty much spot on. One other thing that some people like to do is whale watching. Some like this, some don't. Can be interesting if you've never done it. It is however seasonal and you don't say when you will be on Maui.

Without going out to Hana you can go out along the North Shore. Depending on the season you can see some great surfing.

Enjoy

I think Astro Flyer's remarks are pretty much spot on. One other thing that some people like to do is whale watching. Some like this, some don't. Can be interesting if you've never done it. It is however seasonal and you don't say when you will be on Maui.

Without going out to Hana you can go out along the North Shore. Depending on the season you can see some great surfing.

Enjoy

Whale watching could be a great experience & found this statement: "Whale Season November – May, with the majority of whales January – March, February being peak season".

I checked their signature & found this info: COMING SOON: Carnival Legend, Hawaii to Vancouver (2.0), April 2017, so they'll be heading your way. ;)

Or, since you are really active...if you don't already surf, you could arrange a group surf lesson. I learned to surf at the age of 40 with my three kids at Baby's Beach, just next to the pier in Lahaina. We loved it, and the kids continue to surf. Cherie

Is there a tour you would suggest? Or just renting a big van and driving around??

Thanks in advance!!

Rent either a big van or 2 cars which might be cheaper.

Here's a link to Discount Hawaii Car Rental which checks rental car agencies in Hawaii & I've found that their rates & benefits are hard to beat.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/?AppChoice=No

I picked a random date for next month for a 2 day rental...an 8 seat vehicle such as a Suburban is $361; a 5 passenger compact or larger is $72 (both include taxes & fees).

Edited by Astro Flyer

We aren't going until May 2018, but my boys and I are going to go ziplining and then spend the rest of the day with my mom in Lahaina including the Feast at Lele luau (probably - still debating between that and Old Lahaina). The next day, we're going to bike down Haleakala while my mom watches from the van. After that, we'll head back to the ship and relax a little!

We aren't going until May 2018, but my boys and I are going to go ziplining and then spend the rest of the day with my mom in Lahaina including the Feast at Lele luau (probably - still debating between that and Old Lahaina). The next day, we're going to bike down Haleakala while my mom watches from the van. After that, we'll head back to the ship and relax a little!

Sounds like a great time!

We've attended the Old Lahaina Luau & Feast at Lele a couple of times each & depending upon your boys ages the OLL may be a better option.

The OLL has assigned seating (tables further back on seats & short tables closer to the stage seated on mats) and has an excellent buffet of luau food with drinks included. We've enjoyed the experience but be aware if they want to see fire dancers that's Samoan & the performance is only Hawaiian.

We've paid more for the Feast at Lele for a couple of our big celebrations & it was great. It's a smaller more intimate venue with great food, drink and entertainment from Polynesian cultures...Hawaiian, Samoan, Tahitian & Maori (NZ). It's not the typical luau food or performance but instead like a tour through Polynesia in food, drink and performance...including Samoan fire dancers. It's table service for food & drinks and they have tables from 2 to what appeared to be a dozen or so.

Both are very popular & can sellout well in advance and I've never heard of any discounts besides a kama'aina discount for residents.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 4 weeks later...

I am also bummed. I wanted to also do the bike tour! Carnival is really missing out by not offering this as an option in their excursion packet. We're trying to also figure out what to do...definitely not Road to Hana. Lahaina is fun, but not an all day thing. Beaches are nice...

I am also bummed. I wanted to also do the bike tour! Carnival is really missing out by not offering this as an option in their excursion packet. We're trying to also figure out what to do...definitely not Road to Hana. Lahaina is fun, but not an all day thing. Beaches are nice...

Have you seen this post from "rjeffler"?:

"FINALLY found a company that will accommodate our 9am arrival into Maui to do the trip to Haleakala (into the National Park) to the visitors center and then ride the bike back to town. Maui Mountain Cruisers is the name of the company. If you go to their website, they even have a video of someone doing the ride. 200 yards of pedaling in 23.5 miles! They are going to pick us up at the boat at 9:15 for the tour. It is $135/pp. I know her van can fit 12 people so there is still room for 4!"

Silver Sweethearts,

Are you by any chance on the Legend cruise leaving Vancouver on 9/13 (next week)???? I think I might have sent this company an email yesterday, but I'll have to call today and see if they can add us.

Silver Sweethearts,

Are you by any chance on the Legend cruise leaving Vancouver on 9/13 (next week)???? I think I might have sent this company an email yesterday, but I'll have to call today and see if they can add us.

No. We just live here on Maui and try to pass along information that may be helpful to visitors. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the islands!

• 1 month later...

We are going to be there in May2017, Thinking of taking a taxi to Kannapali beach, black rock for snorkeling? The cruise is charging $106 to go there, seems crazy... Would we be best to be taken to the Sharedan Hotel or ?? to be close to black rock..

Thanks

We are going to be there in May2017, Thinking of taking a taxi to Kannapali beach, black rock for snorkeling? The cruise is charging $106 to go there, seems crazy... Would we be best to be taken to the Sharedan Hotel or ?? to be close to black rock..

Thanks

If you are tendering into Lahaina, a taxi from there to the Sheraton and Black Rock should run you $20. to $25. (including tip) each way for the whole cab and not per person. The distance is 4.3 miles. What else is the cruise line including to qualify a $106. charge (and we trust that is per person)?

If you are tendering into Lahaina, a taxi from there to the Sheraton and Black Rock should run you $20. to $25. (including tip) each way for the whole cab and not per person. The distance is 4.3 miles. What else is the cruise line including to qualify a $106. charge (and we trust that is per person)?

Thank you.. That is per person, yes.. It includes a chair and one drink. I think $25 is a lot better, we just want to go and snorkel. So the Sheraton is the best place? Do we go through the hotel or beside it to get to the beach? Thank you:)

Thank you.. That is per person, yes.. It includes a chair and one drink. I think $25 is a lot better, we just want to go and snorkel. So the Sheraton is the best place? Do we go through the hotel or beside it to get to the beach? Thank you:)

We don't have any snorkel or dive experience so we can't comment, but Astro Flyer certainly does and always has sound advice. Hopefully, Astro Flyer will see this and answer your questions.

We don't have any snorkel or dive experience so we can't comment, but Astro Flyer certainly does and always has sound advice. Hopefully, Astro Flyer will see this and answer your questions.

By clicking on the attached Sheraton Maui map hopefully it is large enough to view. If not, you could search online to find a better quality map.

Black Rock is the lava point on the left & we park at the public lot on the right. We've walked from the parking lot to Black Rock along the pathways shown on the map.

image.jpg.0d2b80345ed2924a6bcb32e68e6a9efc.jpg

By clicking on the attached Sheraton Maui map hopefully it is large enough to view. If not, you could search online to find a better quality map.

Black Rock is the lava point on the left & we park at the public lot on the right. We've walked from the parking lot to Black Rock along the pathways shown on the map.

Thanks, the map is too small, will keep looking. I imagine the taxi drivers would

know where to drop us off..

Thanks, the map is too small, will keep looking. I imagine the taxi drivers would

know where to drop us off..

I'd think a taxi driver would know the best place to drop you off at the popular Black Rock. ;)

Click on this link to view a larger Sheraton Maui map:

http://www.sheraton-maui.com/images/SM-Map-1000-px_revised.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you rent a car and drive to the Sheraton Black Rock Beach what time in the morning does the free parking fill up by?

Now that we're in South Maui we don't go the Black Rock in West Maui as often but I'd think it would fill up quickly. As I recall there are a limited number of free public access parking spots. Mornings generally are the best beach & snorkeling times before afternoon tradewinds increase.

If that lot by the Sheraton is full, you could drop off people & gear at the Sheraton & park at the Whalers Village paid lot. Google Maps shows a 14 minute, 0.7 mile walk along the beachwalk paved pathway to Black Rock. Some restaurants give a couple of hours of free validated parking. We enjoy the Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar to eat...tables & chairs in the sand (or some on cement) across from the beach with hours of free entertainment & entrees costing about $15-$20. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you are driving, and not taking a taxi, the free parking can fill up quickly. As AstroFlyer says the Whalers Village offers 6 hours of free parking with a validation, if no validation $3/half hour. If you decide to park at a hotel I would suggest the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, with daily valet parking at $14, self parking $12. If you go to their website there is a nice photo of Black Rock from the hotel. Valet and self parking at the Sheraton or Westin are a bit more and there is a longer walk through reception and the properties to the beach. Enjoy your snorkel trip. Cherie

Edited by cccole