Sas Transportation - Phone call fee?

Extra Kim

We used Sas Transportation from port of Miami to the airport in Fort Lauderdale in February.

We called their driver to pick us up, we called two times and in total both calls lasted in 51 seconds. I got my phone bill and these 51 seconds cost me $ 17 :eek:

I called my operator and they told me that I had called a company number and that they (Sas Transportation) had billed me extra for the calls. Normaly I pay around 50 cent/minute in the U.S.

Have anyone else had problem with phone call fees from Sas?

That is very strange! If you are in the USA you should call SAS and ask for an explanation. If outside the USA, perhaps somebody here on CC (or a friend in the USA) can call for you. If you simply called their Area Code 954 number there is no way they could add anything to your own phone bill. Doesn't make any sense.

Hank

I've called SAS from a US cell phone and they don't add fees on. I don't see how a 51 second call could cost that much. Do u recall which number exactly you dialed? If it was a 954 number then it's a local call and should be billed as such. I'd take it up with your phone provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we have had a few additional thoughts. There is just no way that SAS could have somehow added charges to your personal cell phone account. Another thought is, if you called them from the cruise ship (while still at sea) you may have incurred very big charges ($17 would not be out of the question) because of using your cell phone through the cruise ship's satellite cell system. That does not come from SAS...but from your own phone company and their extra charges for using a phone onboard. Otherwise, we suspect your own cell provider is just not telling you the truth about how those charges got onto your account.

Hank

I didn't call from the ship. I called inside the CBP-building and then again outside on the sidewalk.

I will call my phone company tomorrow.

I assume you are calling them with a phone number from Sweden. If that is the case I'm sure there are added fees.

I didn't call from the ship. I called inside the CBP-building and then again outside on the sidewalk.

Thanks for the update. Assuming you called the regular phone number of SAS, there is no way they could have added anything to your phone bill. This is most likely an issue between your own phone provider and you and would have to do with what you normally pay your own phone provider for calls in the USA (or outside the EU). As Americans, we face similar issues when we travel outside North America. Last year we switched our own US phone provider to T-Mobile because they provide us with nearly world-wide coverage at no additional cost....other then a small (no more than 20 cents/min) for phone calls in Europe. Phone plans are still a "mine field" and one must always be very careful to know about the various costs (data, phone and text) outside their own country.

Hank

It does seem that your call was either picked up by the ship's cell phone tower or as one from your base in Sweden - and most unlikely that the charges had anything to do with SAS.

I assume you are calling them with a phone number from Sweden. If that is the case I'm sure there are added fees.

Well I do pay more in the US, 50cent/minute. I call for free in Sweden. But me calling from a Swedish number shouldn't add any extra cost..

Called my phone company today and they will get back to me.

Edited by Extra Kim

Well I do pay more in the US, 50cent/minute. I call for free in Sweden. But me calling from a Swedish number shouldn't add any extra cost..

Called my phone company today and they will get back to me.

If your cell phone company in Sweden does not charge anything more for an international call than a domestic call, they are certainly unlike US cell providers. If

I haven't done much international calling. W Verizon the most they would charge me is $2.99 per minute for voice roaming and/or $0.49 a minute for international long distance charges. Not sure if those double up if I was in Sweden and calling a Swedish number. Assuming OP is correct about what rates they should be charged, wonder if somehow their phone was accidentally set to call through the internet instead of standard cellular voice (like to use wifi calling but it converted to data if they were outside wifi)? Data charges could certainly explain the $17.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

certainly sounds like an overseas cell phone call to SAS - for which most cell companies do charge extra.

Besides that I pay 50cent/minute in the U.S I shouldn't pay anything extra.

I called for 51seconds, those two calls should have cost me around 50 cent NOT 17 dollars.

In Sweden I call for "free".

I haven't done much international calling. W Verizon the most they would charge me is $2.99 per minute for voice roaming and/or $0.49 a minute for international long distance charges. Not sure if those double up if I was in Sweden and calling a Swedish number. Assuming OP is correct about what rates they should be charged, wonder if somehow their phone was accidentally set to call through the internet instead of standard cellular voice (like to use wifi calling but it converted to data if they were outside wifi)? Data charges could certainly explain the $17.

No, I have never done any IP-calls and I don't have any software/apps for that on my phone. My data was turned off, so even if I had any IP-calls apps I wouldn't be able to call.

My invoice clearly states that I have called for 51 seconds.

Kim, all we can say is that the excessive charge you received should be challenged with your cell phone provider. The number you called is a T-Mobile cell number in Florida. For those of us calling that same number from here within the US, it is a standard call whether using cell or landline; there is no chargeback from the transportation company for calling them.

Unless your carrier contract has a different rate for calling cell numbers vs. landlines (I seem to remember something about this in Europe?) it seems your contract roaming rate of 50 cents per call should apply. Your contract with your cell phone carrier defines the rates to be applied when roaming outside of your local area. They need to explain why they are charging you this excessive rate of $8.50 per minute instead of the 50 cents.