Considering Gauguin and need help

PhillyGirl2

Follow Cruisers:

My husband and I have been on numerous cruises and are considering Paul Gauguin 10 nights Society Islands and Tuamotus in July. I'm a little apprehensive because we love the thought of it but we are not scuba divers or snorklers, etc. Also, being a teacher and being with kids all year, I look forward to cruising where the majority of passengers are adults and it appears as if Gauguin would appeal to families with children. Can anyone recommend this cruise and give me some feedback, positive or negative about Paul Gauguin. I am a Seabourn lover but really want to try something new. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

There were no children on our 10-day (including the Tuamotus) cruise in July a couple of years ago. Not to say it couldn't happen, but it didn't on our cruise.

Regarding the Tuamotus, I seem to recall that those who weren't snorkeling or scuba diving didn't find much to do there.

You won't see many, if any, kids. Cabins only hold three. On our cruise, there was on family of three with a young boy that had exquisite manners. He played with some of the local children that came aboard and was the model of a great kid. As for he itinerary, there is plenty to do if you don't dive or snorkel. I'd encourage you to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Follow Cruisers:

My husband and I have been on numerous cruises and are considering Paul Gauguin 10 nights Society Islands and Tuamotus in July. I'm a little apprehensive because we love the thought of it but we are not scuba divers or snorklers, etc. Also, being a teacher and being with kids all year, I look forward to cruising where the majority of passengers are adults and it appears as if Gauguin would appeal to families with children. Can anyone recommend this cruise and give me some feedback, positive or negative about Paul Gauguin. I am a Seabourn lover but really want to try something new. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I think you we will be pleasantly surprised with few if any kids!:) As for cruises I would also suggest checking out the Wind Spirit from Windstar Cruises at the same time of year. It visits the Society Islands and offers an upscale cruise experience.

Papeete, Tahiti, Society Islands

Moorea, Society Islands

Taha'a (Motu Mahana), Society Islands

Raiatea, Society Islands

Bora Bora, Society Islands

Huahine, Society Islands

The Wind Spirit is designed as a modern cruise ship but carrying an elaborate system of computer-controlled sails on four masts. No scheduled activities help to make this a real relaxing, unregimented “get away from it all” holiday. The ship is ideal for couples who don’t like large ships. The dress code is casual (no jackets and ties), even for dinner – the brochure states casual elegance. There are no formal nights or theme nights.

You will probably be under sail for less than 40 percent of the time, conditions and cruise area winds permitting. Bring some books because either way Paul or Windstar the libraries are small and pool is small on Wind Spirit. Enjoy your holiday! :D

Do consider that since the Ambassadors of the Environment Youth Program is offered during the summer of 2015 from June 10 through August 22nd, the PG must expect enough children at that time to make the program worthwhile. At least the program's creator, Jean-Michel Cousteau is set to be on board for your particular cruise if you are into oceanographers/environmental advocates.

As for cruises I would also suggest checking out the Wind Spirit from Windstar Cruises at the same time of year. It visits the Society Islands and offers an upscale cruise experience.

Moorea, Society Islands

Taha'a (Motu Mahana), Society Islands

Raiatea, Society Islands

Bora Bora, Society Islands

Huahine, Society Islands

It was our understanding that Motu Mahana is a private island owned by PG Cruises and not available to any other cruise lines. Are we mistaken??

It was our understanding that Motu Mahana is a private island owned by PG Cruises and not available to any other cruise lines. Are we mistaken??

You are not the one who is mistaken. Here is the itinerary for the Wind Spirit (from the Windstar website):

Papeete Takapoto Tiputa Huahine Raiatea Bora Bora Moorea Papeete

To answer your earlier question, we are booked in June of next year for our 9th sailing on the Paul Gauguin and I have never scuba dived in my life. I do like the sun and the sea and MOST especially MOTU MAHANA!

5152152579_116e7f5a2c_m.jpg

No, you're not, as someone already posted. Although I did hear a rumour onboard the PG last month, that Windstar had tried to arrange a rental of Motu Mahana when the PG wasn't using it, and PG wasn't interested (don't blame them.)

No, you're not, as someone already posted. Although I did hear a rumour onboard the PG last month, that Windstar had tried to arrange a rental of Motu Mahana when the PG wasn't using it, and PG wasn't interested (don't blame them.)

Not a rumour was a fact!

The Jean michel sailings have more kids but usually there aren't too many kids on board.

These days even Oceania, which has been called assisted living at sea, has kids and I know that Crystal had a couple of kids on their world cruise.

At any event have never seen the ship overrun by small kids.