Couple of questions from a new cruiser on RCL

Jenk0677

Hello

I have been on 2 Disney cruises and now plan on cruising on RCL for the first time the first week of April. I'm just looking for any tips about the must things to do and any tips that anyone wants to share. I also have a question about passport cards vs passport books. Is it really nessicary to get a passport book or will a card be okay. The cruise port include Hatiati Jamaica and Cozumel. Will I be able to get off the ship in these ports with just a passport card. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

For all the RCI info you will ever need, there is a portion of Cruise Critic devoted to RCI, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

All you need for a closed loop trip, starting and ending in the same US port is a driver's license and birth certificate for adults and a birth certificate for a child. Passport cards don't work, as I understand it.

Hello

I have been on 2 Disney cruises and now plan on cruising on RCL for the first time the first week of April. I'm just looking for any tips about the must things to do and any tips that anyone wants to share. I also have a question about passport cards vs passport books. Is it really nessicary to get a passport book or will a card be okay. The cruise port include Hatiati Jamaica and Cozumel. Will I be able to get off the ship in these ports with just a passport card. Thanks for any advice.

Passport cards will work for closed end cruises out of US ports, but if something goes wrong, you won't be able to fly home without a passport booklet.

from the state dept website - The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

If you should have an emergency and have to fly home, a passport card is not valid. The book is more expensive but worth it.

Marianne

If you do not have one and want to get it I would go for a traditional passport book.

The key for not requiring the book to cruise is for a closed loop cruise where your cruise starts and ends in the same city in the USA. This is applicable for USA residents.

Keith

Hello

I suggest you get both the passport book and card. The card has been useful to me as a secondary ID when I've misplaced my driver's license. I've also had no problem with the TSA using the passport card as an ID for domestic air travel.