Union Leader Warns Tourists of a transportation disaster at Dockyard

njhorseman

Do I understand this right. You can no longer take the express number 7 bus to Horseshoe Beach? Can you take the regular 7 bus to Warwick Beach? It makes no sense.

Express bus is no longer in service.

You can take the regular #7 to all the beaches, but in some reports earlier this week it was stated that some bus were for "locals" only and would not pick up tourist at the Dockyard.

Or take the 16$ round trip new shuttle.

Or take a taxi.

Everything is supposed to be resolved now...we will see !

Express bus is no longer in service.

You can take the regular #7 to all the beaches, but in some reports earlier this week it was stated that some bus were for "locals" only and would not pick up tourist at the Dockyard.

Or take the 16$ round trip new shuttle.

Or take a taxi.

Everything is supposed to be resolved now...we will see !

In the past they limited he amount of tourists that could get on the regular buses at he Dockyard. They would not let tourists fill up an entire bus so there would be room for Bermudians getting on later at local stops. Bermudians use the buses to get to jobs and schools. I would guess that would continue with the new system.

In the past they limited he amount of tourists that could get on the regular buses at he Dockyard. They would not let tourists fill up an entire bus so there would be room for Bermudians getting on later at local stops. Bermudians use the buses to get to jobs and schools. I would guess that would continue with the new system.

Yes, I am all about the locals having to get to work and how the bus system works.

Honestly if I was a local living in Somerset and depending on the bus to get to work, I would really hate the days the mega ships are at the Dockyard.

I am just saying that last week they didn't let ANY tourist on the bus for a few runs, thus creating over 2 hours of wait and endless line of tourist for the #7 bus out of the Dockyard.

I guess it was a sort of retaliation from the Union against the Government...

Yes, I am all about the locals having to get to work and how the bus system works.

Honestly if I was a local living in Somerset and depending on the bus to get to work, I would really hate the days the mega ships are at the Dockyard.

I am just saying that last week they didn't let ANY tourist on the bus for a few runs, thus creating over 2 hours of wait and endless line of tourist for the #7 bus out of the Dockyard.

I guess it was a sort of retaliation from the Union against the Government...

Likely this will all be resolved but it is a terrible that those on recent sailings and those sailing now are being used as guinea pigs. I would have been pissed if it had happend on my sailing.

If they can't accomodate the large numbers of tourists from cruise ships at the Dockyard they should limit the number of ships that dock there.

Edited by Charles4515

I posted the text of this article as well as the source a couple of days ago...seems to vanished somehow :rolleyes:

It has EVERYTHING to do with this thread.

From the Royal Gazette...

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140814/NEWS04/140819859

MrJulius

If you posted the text is was likely vanished by the moderators because it was a copyrighted article. Unless you get permission from the author that is not legal to post. You should only post links to articles.

Reading the article linked I would say it's too soon to judge the success or failure. It does mean for some cruisers an increase in the cost of transportation. As alluded to in the article it means that Bermuda is becoming like other destinations. Those of us who have been to Bermuda many times have touted the good transportation system and the bus passes. How we would never take a cruise line excursion in Bermuda. Just get a transportation pass. A lot of that premise is now called into question.

Edited by Charles4515
jjj

I posted the text of this article as well as the source a couple of days ago...seems to vanished somehow :rolleyes:

It has EVERYTHING to do with this thread.

From the Royal Gazette...

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140814/NEWS04/140819859

MrJulius

Posting a whole article is an internet faux pas. It deprives the author of appropriate credit and the owner loses any income that it might get from people reading the article on their website. Some authors get paid based on the number of views so your post of the complete article and not a link stole income to them. and besides that its a copyright violation. Post a link and a couple of lines from the article not the whole thing exactly for that reason.

Boy the other cruise line returning to the Hamilton docks next year with access to 11 bus routes looks better by the day . :D

That is the Veendam. I took two Bermuda cruises on her. They were good. It will be sailing out of Boston not New York though. Good for some, not that that good for me. Also a limited number of sailings. If she were sailing out of New York I would pick her over the Dockyard ships.

Posting a whole article is an internet faux pas. It deprives the author of appropriate credit and the owner loses any income that it might get from people reading the article on their website. Some authors get paid based on the number of views so your post of the complete article and not a link stole income to them. and besides that its a copyright violation. Post a link and a couple of lines from the article not the whole thing exactly for that reason.

Thanks for the replies on this.

I did cite the source of the article but did not consider the revenue stream of clicking on the actual site.

Been on the internet since Q-link (pre AOL). You would think that it would have occurred to me ;)

MrJulius

Can I get some clarification on the transportation? Do these new shuttles only drive people to the beach? If we are interested in visiting Hamilton and St George, can we rely on the public buses and ferries? Are these experiencing the same delays? Thanks!

Can I get some clarification on the transportation? Do these new shuttles only drive people to the beach? If we are interested in visiting Hamilton and St George, can we rely on the public buses and ferries? Are these experiencing the same delays? Thanks!

The new shuttle service is for transportation to the South Shore beaches only. The buses and ferries still transport you elsewhere. The ferry is your best bet to Hamilton (Blue Route) or St. George's (Orange Route).

Edited by njhorseman

I just posted this on another transportation thread, so I apologize for the repeat. I will also add that while I am not sure because I did not ask myself, I think the kid's price for the new mini-buses is $10, not $16. I overheard the woman in the Dockyard terminal talking about the price to another passenger ahead of me in line.

We just got back today from Bermuda.

I haven't been on Cruise Critic for a week and I didn't even read through this entire thread, but I will tell you what we did.

We arrived on Sunday and were off the Dawn at 11:10. I purchased three day transportation passes for my family of five right inside the terminal. I knew how much the five passes would be and I knew what I wanted to do, so I didn't need to dig for money or ask questions.

We booked it over to the ferry terminal and got on the 11:30 ferry to Hamilton. We then walked the five minutes to the bus terminal and got on the #7 bus to the beach (heading toward the Dockyard).

We arrived at Horseshoe at 12:20. I didn't think that was too bad, considering the bus ride back to the Dockyard later in the day was 40 minutes, so if we had taken a mini-bus or a regular bus it probably would have still taken almost the same amount of time.

Note: This will only work if you can get on the 11:30 ferry out of the Dockyard to Hamilton, because the next ferry on Sunday after the 11:30 is 1:30. I didn't know what we were going to do until I saw that we were off the Dawn at 11:05 or so and knew we could get to the ferry by 11:30. I will mention that we were traveling with a 6 year old who walks pretty slowly as well as an 8 year old who is recovering from a leg injury, so if you can start walking to the ferry by 11:15 and move along, you should be able to make the 11:30 ferry on Sunday.

Edited by lolavix

We are a family of five who hadn't counted on paying $16 per person. Can we still take the #7 to Warwick? We have the 3 day transportation pass budgeted in....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You would take the #7 bus to Warwick. The shuttles as reported so far are to Horseshoe.

An alternative would be a taxi to Warwick. Run about $45 for the taxi to get there. That comes out to $9 per person.

Thanks!! We get into Bermuda around 7:00am local time. We can take a bit getting off the ship, get our passes and then catch the ferry. Should work out perfectly.

She was there on a Sunday. What day will you be there? The weekday schedule is different than the Sunday schedule. Both weekdays and weekends there are earlier ferries. Since you are arriving at 7:00, no need to wait until 11:30.

She was there on a Sunday. What day will you be there? The weekday schedule is different than the Sunday schedule. Both weekdays and weekends there are earlier ferries. Since you are arriving at 7:00, no need to wait until 11:30.

Yes, I think it's more of an issue for folks arriving on Sunday. We did the same thing on Tuesday to get to Warwick Long Bay--took the 9 AM ferry to Hamilton and then the #7 bus to Warwick. This time, the ferry didn't arrive in Hamilton until 9:20, though, so we had to take a 9:45 #7 bus rather than 9:30 so we arrived at Warwick around 10:05. I had heard that there might be issues with tourists taking a #7 bus from the Dockyard, so we tried to avoid that as much as we could. We all enjoyed the ferry to Hamilton as well.

You would take the #7 bus to Warwick. The shuttles as reported so far are to Horseshoe.

An alternative would be a taxi to Warwick. Run about $45 for the taxi to get there. That comes out to $9 per person.

But someone posted they weren't letting tourists on the #7 bus.:confused:

Thanks!! We get into Bermuda around 7:00am local time. We can take a bit getting off the ship, get our passes and then catch the ferry. Should work out perfectly.

I see you're on the Summit, so you're arriving on a Wednesday, with a different ferry schedule than the poster who arrived on a Sunday . By the way, your ship is scheduled to arrive at 8 am Bermuda time according to the official schedule...not that it couldn't arrive earlier. You should be able to catch a 9 am or 9:30 am ferry .

Edited by njhorseman

I see you're on the Summit, so you're arriving on a Wednesday, with a different ferry schedule than the poster who arrived on a Sunday . By the way, your ship is scheduled to arrive at 8 am Bermuda time according to the official schedule...not that it couldn't arrive earlier. You should be able to catch a 9 am or 9:30 am ferry .

Yep arriving on Wednesday. I know it's a different schedule. But with our earlier arrival time I feel like I can take my time getting off the ship and still have plenty of time to enjoy the beaches.