15-hour flight

miniowl

I have flown a few times, maybe 20-30 flights overall, but never longer than 4 or 5 hours. For my first cruise, I have a short flight, maybe an hour and a half, and then a very long 15-hour flight. I booked more than a week ago and still can not even wrap my head around what a flight like that is like. I am not a great flyer and fly by myself, so I generally do my best to fall asleep and hope to wake up. I also have never unbuckled or gotten out of my seat during a flight (never use the restroom), and more recently do not eat or drink. About ten years ago I took a small flight from Calgary to Vancouver and had this lemon bar thing and had had apple juice and/or ginger ale on flights before that, but nothing after that. Anyway, I am assuming this flight will be ridiculously different, as I am sure it is really bad to not get up and move around and such. And probably not a great idea not to eat or especially drink anything for 15 hours. For anyone who has done a flight over 8 hours or so. . .what is it like? I am also losing 13 hours in the process, so I am lost as to when to try to sleep and such, as well! Advice is appreciated. :)

I have flown a few times, maybe 20-30 flights overall, but never longer than 4 or 5 hours. For my first cruise, I have a short flight, maybe an hour and a half, and then a very long 15-hour flight. I booked more than a week ago and still can not even wrap my head around what a flight like that is like. I am not a great flyer and fly by myself, so I generally do my best to fall asleep and hope to wake up. I also have never unbuckled or gotten out of my seat during a flight (never use the restroom), and more recently do not eat or drink. About ten years ago I took a small flight from Calgary to Vancouver and had this lemon bar thing and had had apple juice and/or ginger ale on flights before that, but nothing after that. Anyway, I am assuming this flight will be ridiculously different, as I am sure it is really bad to not get up and move around and such. And probably not a great idea not to eat or especially drink anything for 15 hours. For anyone who has done a flight over 8 hours or so. . .what is it like? I am also losing 13 hours in the process, so I am lost as to when to try to sleep and such, as well! Advice is appreciated. :)

I pretty much live on flights of 10-16 hours in length (plus domestic...for example, having to fly from Kansas City to Dallas to Los Angeles just to get to that 16 hours flight to Melbourne that I take frequently).

I remember my first 14+ hour flight (LAX-SYD) being daunting. But really, it's not so bad. I am not sure your route or airline, but it sounds like it could be to either Asia or Australia? If so, what is your routing and what is your airline (or airlines)? That can give you a better idea of what your seats might be like, or what type of inflight entertainment (IFE) might be available to you.

To me, having something like the Qantas A380 or a Cathay Pacific 777-300, where you have decent food and seemingly unlimited on-demand movies and TV shows, makes a huge difference. Leaving at night also helps me, because I can easily sleep for 6-8 hours after being up and moving all day. Combine that with a couple of movies and some TV shows, and you're at your destination before you know it.

Like I said, it is daunting. If you're a smoker, it can be downright painful (I remember my dad taking his first longhaul flight and being miserable. Not looking too forward to seeing my mother-in-law and brother-in-law when we fly Dallas to Madrid later this summer). But it's really not so bad. Think of how quickly a day goes by...you're awake for roughly 16 hours, right? So, the flight is just a normal day where you don't do anything but eat, drink and watch movies ;)

Edited by Zach1213

You have correctly touched on a number of things.

You MUST get up and move around. You MUST eat and drink--including a LOT of water.

You didn't say which way you are traveling, there are tips specific to heading east or west I can add if you do. I would also help if you mentioned the time of day your flight begins.

Bottom line, set your watch to the time zone of your destination as soon as you board, and behave as if you were already there. So if you are getting on the plane in LA and getting off in Sydney, and your flight leaves at 10:00 pm, it's already 1:00 pm there. So set your watch for 1:00 pm, stay awake until at least 5:00 pm and then sleep. When you arrive, don't go to sleep, force yourself to stay awake until at least 8:00 pm or so and you'll wake up the next morning on the right schedule. (This doesn't work for business travel, you just have to suck it up, although most business travelers are pretty good at adjusting themselves as needed.)

I start two weeks before I travel either getting up earlier or going to sleep later to force myself to sleep later to begin to adjust to the time where I am traveling to. I can usually knock off a couple of hours of time zone difference this way before I even leave.

I start two weeks before I travel either getting up earlier or going to sleep later to force myself to sleep later to begin to adjust to the time where I am traveling to. I can usually knock off a couple of hours of time zone difference this way before I even leave.

I've never actually done that or been able to pull it off. I know people swear by it. My trick is this: I take the latest flight possible, and make sure I get less sleep than normal the night before, and spend that day doing as much moving as possible, including running/exercise. Leaving from the west coast is awesome, because if I have a flight leaving at, say, 11:30pm pacific, and I just came in from Kansas City, my body says it's 1:30am by the time I depart. After a drink or two and a meal, I am passed out for a solid 6-8 hours. Wake up, watch movies, and be lazy. Arrive in to your destination in the morning, keep busy all day, and crash around 9:00pm or so. After that, I am almost always perfectly set to the local time.

Europe is a bit harder, simply because (to me) the flights are actually too short. I can't get a full 8 hours on a flight to Europe, but I can to Asia or Australia. Even in coach.

Eating a drinking really are important. I usually have one or two alcoholic drinks with dinner to help me sleep, but otherwise it's all water or the occasional caffeine-free soda. I also make sure I get up every few hours to at least move my extremities, if not do a full walk for a couple of minutes.

Edited by Zach1213

Hi, I believe a mind-set is very helpful, here's mine! I am a wife, mother, fur-kid mother, and grandmother and an administrative assistant! therefore, someone always wants something from me at all times! when I fly, it is all about me! it is my time! i have a couple of drinks, i read, i watch movies, I eat, I sleep, it all depends on what I want to do, how long the flight is, etc. I have done quite a few long-hauls (Australia, New Zealand, Singapore on the 18 hour flight). So again, i find it all quite fun! and I enjoy my 'me time"

I hope this helps!

In addition to the other suggestions, I make my own amenity kit if I'm flying coach on the long haul. The contents resemble a business class kit -- disposable toothbrush and small toothpaste, travel size moisturizer (the air is very dry and will suck moisture out of you), lip moisturizer, eye mask, disposable slippers (you will want to take your shoes off), a few sugar free lozenges.

I take my Ipod loaded with favorite movies or tv shows worth re-watching - that really helps pass the time -- and my own headphones -- they are a much better quality than what you can get on the plane.

In coach you will get a thin blanket, but I still dress in layers. The temp can either be too warm, or too chilly (especially near an exit row window).

After all the eat, walk, watch movies, walk, sleep, eat, walk, etc. you will be at an exciting new place about to embark on a new adventure.

From your other posts it sounds like you are heading to Tokyo for your cruise.

Not knowing your travel details, let me make a recommendation - which of course you're free to ignore - about your arrival.

First, I find westbound transpacific flights are especially tiring. For one thing, you're fighting headwinds, so the westbound flight is usually a couple of hours longer than the eastbound. For another, because of the "great circle" routing, (which will take you over Alaska) and the typical mid-day departure times from North America, at the time of year you're traveling it won't get dark outside at all. Nevertheless, the airline will ask that window shades be lowered - ostensibly to allow those watching movies to do so (but also to let the flight attendants rest) so even though according to your body clock it's mid-afternoon, they'll want the plane to be dark. If you can sleep, fine, but for me, no way. Watch movies - all the planes have seatback video, or maybe look at the "TV" listings on the video menu to see if there's some series you've never watched, with numerous episodes available. If you like it, great.

As stated, get up and walk. An aisle seat really helps on these flights. If you want to look outside, do so from the window in the loo (if there is one) or from the galley door (a tiny little window but big enough.) Drink fluids. If you can tolerate them, wear a pair of compression socks or hose - you want to keep the blood flowing in your lower extremities.

Anyway, flights to Narita (I assume you'll be landing there and not Haneda, Tokyo's other airport) tend to land in the afternoon. By the time you've gone through immigration, bag claim and customs, it will probably be between 2 and 5 PM.

If you have a choice, I would NOT try to get to Yokohama that night. Narita is a long way from everything (on the other side of Tokyo from Yokohama) and you don't want to try to navigate Tokyo at the evening rush hour.

Instead, book a hotel near Narita airport and hit the sack. I prefer the Holiday Inn, which is the closest main hotel to the airport, has a frequent free shuttle bus, and is usually quite affordable, especially by Japanese standards.

The next morning (and you will be awake very early due to the time change) before heading to Yokohama, take the shuttle bus from the hotel to the Narita Buddhist temple complex (Naritasan) - maybe 10 minutes. http://www.naritasan.or.jp/english/index.html

Naritasan is one of Japan's most beautiful temple sites, with gardens, ancient buildings... it's free and spacious, marvelously peaceful, and an absolute must-see (in my opinion.) I often wonder how many thousands/millions of people pass through Narita airport every year oblivious to this treasure sitting minutes away.

061s.JPG

Anyway, walk around the grounds and the little touristy street leading to the temple (great photo-ops) and back to the hotel, then off you go to Yokohama or wherever.

This makes for as good a "soft landing" in Japan as I can think of, and it will prime you for the adventure ahead. It will make the long flight seem more than worth it.

Edited by Gardyloo

Thank you for all the help. I have been told I have no internal clock, so I am hoping the jet lag will not be as brutal for me, but I guess I will not know until I experience it. Have never had an issue with 3-4 hour time difference or anything, but this is quite a step up!

A few of you asked about my itinerary, so here it is:

Depart: 10:35AM WASH D.C NATL DC US

Arrive: 12:00PM TORONTO ON CA Hopefully near the Tim Hortons!!

Airline: AIR CANADA/Air Canada Express - Sky Regional

Depart: 02:05PM TORONTO ON CA

Arrive: 03:55PM TOKYO - NARITA JP

Airline: AIR CANADA

Aircraft: Jet Boeing 777-300

Return

Depart: 05:50PM TOKYO - NARITA JP

Arrive: 04:40PM TORONTO ON CA

Depart: 08:55PM TORONTO ON CA

Arrive: 10:22PM WASH D.C NATL DC US

First, I find westbound transpacific flights are especially tiring.

I am the exact opposite. Westbound I love. Eastbound kicks my butt.

As many times as I've been through NRT, I've never visited Naritasan. Have heard great things, but have never made it. Someday...

Thank you for all the help. I have been told I have no internal clock, so I am hoping the jet lag will not be as brutal for me, but I guess I will not know until I experience it. Have never had an issue with 3-4 hour time difference or anything, but this is quite a step up!

A few of you asked about my itinerary, so here it is:

Depart: 10:35AM WASH D.C NATL DC US

Arrive: 12:00PM TORONTO ON CA Hopefully near the Tim Hortons!!

Depart: 02:05PM TORONTO ON CA

Arrive: 03:55PM TOKYO - NARITA JP

Return

Depart: 05:50PM TOKYO - NARITA JP

Arrive: 04:40PM TORONTO ON CA

Depart: 08:55PM TORONTO ON CA

Arrive: 10:22PM WASH D.C NATL DC US

Good info. The 777-300 on Air Canada will be good. Each seat in coach has its own TV with on-demand entertainment, which will certainly help!

Edited by Zach1213

Thank you for the tips. Naritasan looks so beautiful and tranquil. I am staying at the Radisson, and it does not look like they offer a shuttle to Naritasan, just the city bus, one to Tokyo station, and one to the airport. I presume since it is an airport hotel, there is not much within walking distance.

Naritasan is one of Japan's most beautiful temple sites, with gardens, ancient buildings... it's free and spacious, marvelously peaceful, and an absolute must-see (in my opinion.) I often wonder how many thousands/millions of people pass through Narita airport every year oblivious to this treasure sitting minutes away.

That is good to hear. :) I will bring my tablet, but do not have a ton of apps that work without Internet-will probably buy a lot of movies/shows on the flight!

Are they usually in the $5-10 range? I am assuming you have been on Air Canada before for a longhaul-is the food decent, or do you think it is a good idea to pack an unstinky sandwich?

Good info. The 777-300 on Air Canada will be good. Each seat in coach has its own TV with on-demand entertainment, which will certainly help!

That is good to hear. :) I will bring my tablet, but do not have a ton of apps that work without Internet-will probably buy a lot of movies/shows on the flight!

Are they usually in the $5-10 range? I am assuming you have been on Air Canada before for a longhaul-is the food decent, or do you think it is a good idea to pack an unstinky sandwich?

All movies and TV shows will be free on the Toronto to Tokyo (and return) flights. That's just how longhaul flights work - no charge for it. I would recommend bringing your own headphones as the airline ones are usually awful, but aside from that, you're all set to go for an additional $0.00.

I have not been on Air Canada longhaul before, so I cannot comment specifically on the food. I've heard mediocre things before, but no worse than you'd get on, say, American or United. Probably not as good as you would get on the Japanese airlines such as ANA or JAL. You can bring your own sandwich, but I probably wouldn't bother unless you think you'll have problems with the airline food. It's generally an option of chicken or pasta. If you do bring your own food, be mindful to get rid of it before you arrive in to Tokyo, as bringing food in to another country can cause issues, especially if you haven't claimed it on your customs form.

You can easily visit the city of Narita. Take the hotel's courtesy shuttle to either terminal and go to train station in the bottom level. Take a local train to the first stop, Narita-city. It's a 15-20 minute trip. If you need directions or help, just ask someone or look confused and you will get plenty of assistance!

From the station you walk up a road with shops on both sides. It's a bit touristy but you will feel you aren't in Kansas (or Canada) anymore. It's a 15 minute walk to the temple, and you can leisurely stroll the grounds in an hour. If they haven't closed for the day, the temple sells small wooden amulets that are to pray or wish for health, good grades in school, and even car safety! They make good souvenirs that travel well.

On your way to or from the Temple there are lots of places to eat and interesting foods to try. Japan is obsessive about food and water purity...that's never a worry. There are also many restaurants around the station and more around the plaza on the other side. Don't worry about walking or taking the train alone- personal crime is almost zero.

All this said, don't rule out going straight from the airport to Yokohama on the Narita Express (NeX) It takes about 90-120 minutes to Yokohama but the fare is about $45. Also you won't experience as much compared to a local train or bus. Whatever you do, avoid Tokyo during rush hours on highways, local trains, or subways.

Try to take some yen before you go...the exchange rate will be better at home compared to the airport or hotel. FYI, there isn't tipping in Japan and people will be mildly insulted if you try

Tripadvisor.com (sister website) is an excellent resource, BTW.

Edited by kenish

Thank you for the tips. Naritasan looks so beautiful and tranquil. I am staying at the Radisson, and it does not look like they offer a shuttle to Naritasan, just the city bus, one to Tokyo station, and one to the airport. I presume since it is an airport hotel, there is not much within walking distance.

The Radisson is on the loop bus line that goes to the city center and to the big Aeon shopping mall (another immersion experience for Japan). If memory serves it goes within a block of Naritasan along its route, and they'll let you off there (not just the train station.) However the temple is easily walkable from the train station (around 10 min.) Ask the hotel desk. You could also take a taxi VERY inexpensively; you'll find them all around Naritasan when you're done.

Remember in Japan they drive on the left, so LOOK RIGHT when you step into the street.

Edited by Gardyloo

I have been on Air Canada many time. Including the Vancouver to Narita, Vancouver to Hong Kong, Vancouver Shanghi etc.

Air Canada has two types of 777-300. The one they use on the route is the one with the 9 across seating in Economy. Slightly wider that the 10 across aircraft that a lot of airlines are using.

The on-board entertainment is quite good. Lots of choice, First Run movies, they usually have some older movies. They also have per-recorded TV programs. Each seat as a USB port for charging. East set of 3 seats in economy has a 110V electrical outlet (North American style pulg to recharge).

You will likely get a hot meal served just after departure and then another two smaller meals during the trip. Plus likely a snack or two some time in between. They are particularly fond of those Nisan instant noodles as one of the snacks. Cabin crew will go through the cabin with water about every 20-30 minutes. On the really long flights like this, if you do get hungry you can usually drop the they galley and they have a try or basket out with snacks and juice and pop.

During the first meal service they usually hand out a small bottle of water on the meal tray, I usually hang on to it and keep it for the duration of the flight. If I run low and head to galley will usually refill it for me.

The bear, wine and liquor is usually complementarity on the overseas flights.

All the entertainment is free on Air Canada (including the moves). They charge a few dollars for head phones on the North American flights, they hand them out for free on the overseas flights.

I would bring along some slippers or a fresh pair of socks.

Try to walk around from time to time.

The 777-300 has the fancy coloured mood lighting. The way it slowly changes colour and brightness during the flight is suppose to reduce jet lag.

Your transfer in Toronto is painless. Keep in mind when you get off the flight from DC, there it leads into a walkway that takes you to two different customs areas. One for passengers doing international connection and the other for Canada bound passengers. If customs people at the international connection just do a quick check of your passport and then let you into the internal area.

At the gate are if hunt around there is a Tim's at one end.

On the Air Canada website, they'll have a link that will show you what movies/shows are available on your flight. I haven't flown on AC yet, that changes next week, but mine is just a short hop down to FLL.

You can look at the GTAA website for the layout of Terminal 1 and should be able to get an idea where the Timmies is. :D

In the last couple of years, we've started doing TA cruises, which are great, except for the flights over to Europe (I don't fly well). Both were only 7 hour flights, the first time I got "twitchy" legs even with walking and stretching and had a bit of trouble tolerating the last couple of hours so for the next time I went out and bought a pair of compression socks which made a big difference. I still had to get up and walk a bit, but it was definitely better than the first time.

Have a great trip.

Does the headphone port on the AC 777 use the one prong or the two prong? It can be a bummer if it is the 2 prong and you only have the one prong on your headphones (mono instead of stereo). I always take the free earphones from Delta and just keep the adapter plug - I have a ready supply of them! On some of the older planes, it is still 2 prongs…

Regardless of how good the meal is, I would always take a supply of snacks!

I also have never unbuckled or gotten out of my seat during a flight (never use the restroom), and more recently do not eat or drink.

You really need to get up and walk around to avoid deep vein thrombosis (blood clots). Even just walking to the galley or facilities a couple of times during the flight would help.

You can get this even if you are a healthy person. Its been reported some Olympic athletes will also wear compression socks during flights to avoid this.

Does the headphone port on the AC 777 use the one prong or the two prong? It can be a bummer if it is the 2 prong and you only have the one prong on your headphones (mono instead of stereo).

AFAIK, one prong. The two-prong designs are disappearing, though I can't speak specifically to AC. BTW, both the 1 and 2 prong types are stereo.

AFAIK, one prong. The two-prong designs are disappearing, though I can't speak specifically to AC. BTW, both the 1 and 2 prong types are stereo.

Air Canada is the one-prong type.

If you have a 2 prong outlet and plug in your 1 prong headphones, you'll only get sound in one ear… at least that's what happens on Delta! There are still some older planes that only have the 2 prong outlet… That's why they still put the adapter in those earphones they pass out "free" on intl flights - you can take off the adapter and use them at home normally...

Gardyloo, I am still very intrigued by this "soft landing" you have recommended. :) You have me hooked with that picture! I am considering switching my hotel from the Radisson Narita to Mercure. Naritasan still be feasible if I do this?

The next morning (and you will be awake very early due to the time change) before heading to Yokohama, take the shuttle bus from the hotel to the Narita Buddhist temple complex (Naritasan) - maybe 10 minutes. http://www.naritasan.or.jp/english/index.html

Anyway, walk around the grounds and the little touristy street leading to the temple (great photo-ops) and back to the hotel, then off you go to Yokohama or wherever.

This makes for as good a "soft landing" in Japan as I can think of, and it will prime you for the adventure ahead. It will make the long flight seem more than worth it.