Cell Phone signal

justaskng

Hi,

we are first time cruisers, sailing on Carnival Splendor to the mexican rivera in April. Can we expect to have cell phone signal on the cruise? We have T-Mobile

THANK YOU

If you use your cell phone on the ship I hope that you are very rich or at least have someone along to co-sign. The rates for using the ship towers can be over $6 per minute.:eek:

If you do, be prepared to pay HIGH roaming charges! The ship's e-mail is the cheapest way to stay in contact....if you even HAVE to stay in contact!!!! You know, just a few years ago, folks didn't rely on the cell phone, and everyone survived! Try it for a week---unless there's an emergency, life will go on, the world will still turn, without you being in constant touch with everyone! I swear! Very few things are so important that they need your constant attention! If you have kids at home, whoever is watching them MUST be someone you trust--so trust them!

Most cruiseships these days have cell towers, but they are operated by Cellular at Sea. Typically the charges start at $2.49 and go up from there. You need to contact T-Mobile to find out whether your phone will work with Cellular at Sea and what T-Mobile charges for using it.

If you use your cell phone on the ship I hope that you are very rich or at least have someone along to co-sign. The rates for using the ship towers can be over $6 per minute.:eek:

Our kids, unknown to us, took their cell phones on a Caribbean cruise. While they thankfully did not make any calls, international texting is EXPENSIVE:eek:

We are turning our phones off as soon as we get on the ship so we don't get calls or texts which will cost us a boat load of money. My mother-in-law thinks she has to be in constant contact with us when we are on vacation:rolleyes: Last year at Disney she called 3 times a day UGH! So this time, we are turning them off and not picking them back up until we are back home!:D

I love to cruise, and one of the things I love is not being on the phone or hearing other's cell phones ring all the time. I understand that some folk's, because of business reasons, need to be in contact with those on shore.

If you need to talk, one of the least expensive ways is to take your laptop and small phone (with a cord) and a magjicjack, then you can make calls for just the price of the internet package you purchase aboard. I can talk faster than I can type so this works better for me when aboard, plus with my laptop I can watch movies and listen to music in my cabin.

If you do, be prepared to pay HIGH roaming charges! The ship's e-mail is the cheapest way to stay in contact....if you even HAVE to stay in contact!!!! You know, just a few years ago, folks didn't rely on the cell phone, and everyone survived! Try it for a week---unless there's an emergency, life will go on, the world will still turn, without you being in constant touch with everyone! I swear! Very few things are so important that they need your constant attention! If you have kids at home, whoever is watching them MUST be someone you trust--so trust them!

I think the OP is asking whether or not you can get a signal...not on whether or not they should use their phone and for what reasons...

Yes, normally you will get a signal, but it can be spotty.

When the ship is still in the harbor or just on sailaway from a US port, does it still use the local tower and rates?

Depends...

Not the greatest answer, I know. The ships (as I understand it) are supposed to turn their towers off while in a US port, but not all do, or they turn them on as soon as the gangway is pulled up.

So,,, it depends

To use T-Mobile on the ship you must first have a phone that works with International service - most newer phones do. Then you must call T-Mobile and enable International Dialing on your account and phone to be able to use your phone in foreign countries, which is also how cruise ships are designated. Rates for each country are found on the T-mobile site, and range from 1.49 to 4.99; and yes, the ship is 4.99. Data rates and voice rates differ.

Depends...

Not the greatest answer, I know. The ships (as I understand it) are supposed to turn their towers off while in a US port, but not all do, or they turn them on as soon as the gangway is pulled up.

So,,, it depends

Interesting. I always see lots of people on their phones at sailaway, calling friends and family (I've got a cocktail in my hand....how about you? We're on vacation----how's work....:p) and I wonder how many of them get the big charges instead of the local calls they assumed they were making.

I'm wondering if I make a call from the port, say Cozumel, if I will be charged for the ship's rate or the Mexico rate? Seems like the ship shouldn't turn on their tower until they are out of range for the cell towers on land. Does that make sense, or am I living in a fantasy?

I'm wondering if I make a call from the port, say Cozumel, if I will be charged for the ship's rate or the Mexico rate? Seems like the ship shouldn't turn on their tower until they are out of range for the cell towers on land. Does that make sense, or am I living in a fantasy?

When a ship gets within a mile of shore, they turn off their satellites and you will be using the local cell towers, be it in Mexico, Columbia or Costa Rica

• 2 years later...

In theory... (I have not tested it) you could use this crazy device called "spot connect" that actually syncs your phone with a satellite and allows you to send messages to contacts, social networks etc..

Or use a real satellite phone if you have one.

Archived