Worst Cruise Packing Mistakes

Brittany C

This would not be classified as a packing mistake, but it does have to do with planning:

After a disappointing snorkeling excursion early in our cruising "career," I now always check water temperature of the ports we're visiting before I pack. I don't do well in water temps less than 80 degrees, so there's no need to pack all the accouterments this entails.

Me too! lol I'm thinking, "they're wearing dirty clothes". :eek:

If I only wear something for a couple of hours to dinner or in the the evening or early morning (basically, I didn't sweat or spill), I will wear it again. Middle of day, all day, in port—that's different. But I am quite willing to wash one load of clothes in the middle of the week. If it means I don't have to mess wth lots of bags, it's worth it to me.

. . . As long as I don't have to iron. I HATE ironing with a fiery passion!

I need a 12-step program for overpacking. I usually bring a daytime outfit and an evening outfit for every single day. The problem is, on sea days I never really need the daytime outfit since I am in a swimsuit and coverup all day. This next cruise we have 4 sea days so I am going to try and restrain myself from packing so many shorts and tops.

What makes me the maddest is that on the way home I have dirty clothes mixed with clean clothes, so I end up washing and ironing everything anyway when I get home. Double work for me.

I really need to work on cutting down the number of shoes as well. I never wear them all, but I need to have heels and flats because sometimes my feet swell from who knows what, and the heels are too uncomfortable to wear for very long.

Edited by Jeafl

After all of the cruising that we have done, I no longer over pack. I would make a suggestion to those that take multiple pairs of shoes...try them on before you leave home. On our last cruise, I just grabbed the first pair of black sandals that I saw in the closet. First elegant night went to put them on and they disintegrated. Didn't realize that these were very old sandals. Lucky me got to wear my Teva's (with slacks) every evening.:D

What makes me the maddest is that on the way home I have dirty clothes mixed with clean clothes, so I end up washing and ironing everything anyway when I get home. Double work for me.

I always pack a couple of empty trash bags just for dirty laundry to avoid this when I get home.

after cruising for 12 yrs, I have it down pat (says me ha ha). I have a section in my closet with some things I only wear on a cruise - long black flowing pants - great for all dinner types - just add either a tank or a dressy top.

shoes - wear one pack 2

I have a list - print out at least 2 copies and tick off as packed always leave a copy on my computer - so if I should loose my luggage, I know $ to claim, and have proof.

I have a clear plastic container in the closet that holds travel stuff, add to it all the time - travel size stuff. They are so picky on flights now, I wash and refill small travel size bottles of most things after each trips so I am ready to go in a moments notice. I want my own shampoo, and it does not come in travel size. But, worried they would refuse it on a flight, I put a label on each bottle.

I take only clothes that can be hand laundered if needed - very easy to rinse things every night - only takes minutes.

Always travel with a clean outfit/swim suit in my "big" travel purse. know, I could spill on the airplane! And, that way, I can give my bag over at check in and still go sit at the pool.

The thing I used to forget was a warm sweater - going to carib - still nice to have to wear out on the balcony or after sometimes after a swim and a sun burn - now I have one dedicated to my suitcase - it gets washed and repacked every trip.

do not look at my sock or undies - I take mix of old and new - the old if worn get pitched!

I pack a month ahead, but, repack,repack,repack - etc until flight!

Cound not count the number of times I look in my purse to see if my passport still there both going and coming home! Cannot start the car until I recheck for that for me or anyone travelling with me!

Don't over pack. I don't bring power strips, two way radios, bungee cords. My wife does pack Lysol. She sprays the whole cabin including the TV remote. I think its a little over the top but she has Lupus and her immune system is not that great. Me the only thing I want to carry is my SS card and maybe a drink.

We like to overpack, to avoid inconvenience .

It's one of several reasons why we like sailing the Pride, large suitcases with no airplane needed .......pack as much as you want !

Personally, I use only 1/3 of the clothes, but always have a lot of choice !!!

And we also bring large plastic bags for the dirty stuff....once home, out of

luggage and directly into washing machine.

When planes are needed, well then those 50 pound limits do figure in.

Leaving next Monday for the Bahamas. Weather looks like some rain and the lows will be a bit chilly especially on deck in the evenings. What packing tips /mistakes do we need to pay attention to for winter? I'm guessing we'll need a bit more than summer cruisers! Thanks all, first cruisers here!

• 4 weeks later...

Having just come back from our first cruise in 14 years, I now know that I over packed and that it won't happen again. We went in one day early and stayed 2 days after the cruise, so I thought oh I'll need ALL this stuff and ALL these clothes because it's January and who knows what the weather will be.

We looked like crazy people at disembarkation! All of this for JUST 2 people- 3 regular size suitcases, garment bag, rolling carry on suitcase, shoulder carry on, duffle bag and tote bag(both to carry the stuff we bought in the ports), and oh yeah my cross body purse. As I gathered all of this cr*p and tried to figure out how to get it outside without a porter I realized that there were entire families without this much stuff. Yes, we gave in and got a porter, we had to.

I was so embarrassed when we got to the hotel with all of this stuff and the bell service guy asked how long we were staying. Answering just 2 days and then explaining how we were on a 7 day cruise and that's why we had so much stuff just furthered my embarrassment, because honestly we looked like we were moving instead of going on vacation.

We have a cruise booked for next February, this time we are taking our 2 adult sons, and I hope to have less baggage for all 4 of us than I did for just the 2 of us!

So, for our first cruise, I was petrified that one of us would be sick on the ship. I packed beef and chicken bouillon cubes "just in case" we couldn't keep food down, and we could ask for hot water and make broth. I had never been on a cruise before and had no idea what to expect. I have been on smaller boats before without troubles, but I didn't know how my husband or my son would do. Not that it takes up a bunch of room, but I will not be packing bouillon cubes again. I can pack another bathing suit instead :)

We actually like to have options so we definitely over pack. However' date=' I don't see the problem in doing that? We have 2 suitcases each that once they are dropped off with the porters aren't a problem at all. It's not like we have to lug them around or anything. We do dress up every night but that's what we like to do. We probably don't wear a third of what we bring but that's ok since we don't know which third that is going to be before we cruise! Unless you are flying I don't see the big deal about over packing. Just gives us more options while we are on the ship. That being said I know every one is different but if you are new to cruising don't worry about over packing is my take. Happy Cruising!!![/quote']

I agree! As long as I am not flying I like to have choices. Someone up thread said packing 6 pair shoes...hahahahahaha I must bring at least 10 pair of sandals!

Just leave it all behind...

Fortunately this wasn't us, but we were in the lounge by customer service before sail away. A frantic woman was over by the door demanding to be let off. It was already closed. She went over to customer service and demanded to be let off. She forgot all of their luggage in the car. They said there wouldn't be time for her to make it back. Crying, she said she would rather not come back. Too late!

We saw her, her husband and her 2 teenagers several times throughout the cruise wearing nothing but Carnival logo clothes.

I have found I can get by with one pair of dressy black capris for dinners for a short cruise (seriously I only wear them to the MDR then switch back to a pair of shorts) and three pairs of shoes - tennies (wear these on board, then change,) nike flip-flops, and a pair of black sandals for dinner. For a longer cruise i'd add in another pair of pants and shoes. First few cruises i took way too many pairs of shoes and pants and wore some of them for about three hours.

I also take a soap box filled with individual doses of OTC medications (minimus dot biz) and another with bandaids and neosporin just in case. They stay packed all the time in a little bag with tums and advil. Just have to remember to check the expiration dates a month or so before we go.

When I vacation I have known too many people who have lost their bags. So in my carryon I always hve one change of clothes and my bathingsuit. I also do the same for the kids too. As for shoes if I am cruising out of Florida I leave time for shopping before. So I may leave home with 4 pair but return with 8.

I would repeat your comment - the carry on bag should have a change of clothes (I put them in a zippy bag) in case you have a mishap, your bathing suit (so you can hit the pool right away - also with zippy bag so you can put a wet suit away), and flip flops. Also include all medications and anything valuable (ipad for example). If your bag is lost, you can survive a day. Same for the kids, and we have traveled A LOT with kids. Those zippy bags have saved us when one gets sick on the way.