Worst Cruise Packing Mistakes

Brittany C

I had bought a small bottle of contact lense solution for my DS to travel with.

Fast forward to the morning waking up in hotel to get ready to go to the ship. I hear my son screen out from the bathroom....I had bought sterilizer not the regular solution. He had put one of his contacts in and burned his eye:eek: We flushed it with cold water and his eye was red and puffy for hours. I felt so bad for him. DH walked to a CVS and bought the correct solution. This was really my "worst packing mistake".

Edited by reno3

I'm reminded of two maxins. The first I learned in Boy Scouts. Divide everything into three piles - one with stuff you will use every day, one with stuff you will use once, and one with stuff you _might_ use. Then leave the last two piles at home.

The other maxim came from these very forums. Take half of what you think you need, and twice as much money.

On our 12-day Med cruise (on ship with no laundry rooms), I found a bunch of nice microfiber shirts at Sams Club, with two velcro pockets and a hidden pocket big enough for a passport. Wear into shower, soap up, rinse off, wrap shirt in towel and squeeze, then hang for an hour to dry.

Cross-packing can have interesting implications. On our first cruise after 9-11, I had to fly home upon our return for a minor emergency (we had driven from KC to FLL), and made the reservation that morning. My wife asked if I could take some dirty clothes with me, and I said yes. At the airport, I was pulled aside for further screening (one way ticket, bought that day, etc). They open up my suitcase (in full view of everyone) and start pulling out my wife and daughter's underwear. Kinda embarrassing to say the least.

After years of overpacking and the grief from my husband that goes with it, I allowed him to pack for himself and our son (12) for our last cruise. Fast forward to Day 5 and he's begging me to do laundry. He assumed he'd be in a swim suit during sea days, as he and my son had always done before. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you talk to) his swim buddy found a friend in Circle C. A young lady wayyyy more interesting than the pool or water slides or hanging out with dad. Plus, my son was wearing more outfits a day, so he needed clothes too.

I made my husband do the laundry himself. Cruel? Maybe. But I think that's the way you learn sometimes.

Edited by Landlocked_N_Texas

I pack "year round" for my vacations (I take several, cruises and land). I have an 8' table set up in a room in the house I don't use often, and use that as "Packing central" - I keep things on that table that are specifically for my "next vacation" (for example, an unread magazine to put in my carry-on for the plane). I like having a place to keep my "travel things" so I dont forget them.

A couple weeks before the cruise/trip ... I start planning clothes, and set the actual articles of clothing on the table, arranged by day (and yes, some cruise days have several "outfits" (Gym, pool, pre-dinner, dinner, after dinner), plus the socks/boxers I need for each day. Whatever shoes I'm taking are under the table. I like to visualize what is going to be work every day. I'm also able to sometimes mix-and-match things for multiple days, tho I honestly don't do much of this.

I also have a nice, clear plastic "TSA APPROVED" zipper bag that is packed with all my "Liquids/Gels" -- I have separate "travel" tioletries that I ONLY use for travelling ... this way I already have "Everything" I need and will not "forget" anything. I have also bought travel-sized bottles of my favorite colognes that are always in there. On land vacations when I stay in 'NICE' hotels, I always leave a nice tip for the housekeeper with a note to LOAD ME UP on extra soaps/shampoo which I take home so by now I have a huge "selection" of stuff to bring when I travel.

Having my toiletries "pre-packed" has made my packing SO EASY ... it's been the BEST thing since the "Rolling carry on" was invented, LOL - seriously, this way I can literally close my suitcase the night before I leave without having to worry about packing tioletires once I finish using them the morning I'm leaving on vacation.

I also have a small "packing cube" stuffed with all the cables/chargers I need for my electronics - Like my toiletries, these are for TRAVEL ONLY, so I can get them in the suitcase early and not have to worry about remembering to grab them out of the wall the morning I'm leaving. So less stressful.

I have a ziplock filled with a variety of Nyquill, bandaids and such - NOT A LOT, a couple servings of each, so it doesn't take up a lotta room, and again, I just throw it in and don't have to worry about it.

I also like to have some "new" clothes and a new pair of sneakers for each of my vacations ... so I can find things on sale, and then keep them in my designated packing area until the trip!

I have one "Travel day" outfit that is worn the FIRST and LAST day of the vacation - typically a comfy pair of SCOTTeVEST Convertible travel pants (LOVE ALL THE POCKETS, total of ten!) and an Under Armour performance polo. In a pinch, these convertible pants can zip-off into shorts and be used as a bathing suit if needed!! Seriously, these are the best travel item I own, and I have all the colors. when I travel "light" I can use three pairs for a week or more vacation and not use any other pants - The black ones can "dress up" nice with a shirt/tie if needed.

Also, I fall into the "overpacking" category with regard to shoes/clothes ... but that's what I like - When else in life can I wear FOUR outfits in one day besides on a cruise? .....I also like to have choices of various things to wear, and if some of my clothes never get worn, that's ok. I agree with other posters who said that Cruises are an ideal time to overpack because once you get it there, you don't have to repack and carry it from hotel to hotel like with some land vacations.

I recently bought the over-the-door shoe thing to use on cruises, didn't think i would use it but it is great for the sunscreen and aloe, both of which are too big for the bathroom cabinets on some ships. It really keeps things organized and I got one on Amazon for like $7.

Finally, I HATE Carnival's hangers ... the ones where 4 hangers "share" one hanger. I will only use each for TWO things MAX. Therefore ... I bring the "thin" velvet-covered hangers with me - I got 9 at the dollar store for $3. They don't take up much room and I much prefer using them to carnivals - and I hate wire hangers, which is what I think the cabin stewart gives you ... plus I like to not have to track him down the first day.

Maybe this helps someone, Thanks for reading my thoughts on packing - Please quote me and comment :D

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

You have some great ideas here! I also like to have some "new" outfits for travel. It adds something to that travel excitement.

I keep my over the door thingie hung on the closet door all they time and fill it as needed. Once I almost forgot it with ALL those necessities I've come to use on each cruise.

I never wear shoes in the house. I once left to drive 5 hours to the port and when I got there realized I hadn't brought sneakers which I'd need for some excursions I was going on. I also forgot my watch.

Went to Walgreens and got an inexpensive Timex I've had now for 15 years--only needed 3 battery changes in all that time. Payless had the running shoes I needed. Both were conveniently located near Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale.

I have an overpacking story of a different kind.

My DH & I cruised a western Caribbean itinerary on the Carnival Freedom several years ago. Leading up to the cruise I had been very busy at work, working lots of extra hours and had put off packing until the last minute. The day before we were flying out, I stopped by the dry cleaners to pick up DH's dress shirts and dress slacks. Brought them home, folded them into the suitcase-hangers, plastic bags and all-and packing was finally done. Fast forward to embarkation day and I'm unpacking in our cabin. Imagine my surprise when I realized I had also picked up my wool coat at the cleaners and had packed it with the rest of our clothes. Grand Cayman was one of the ports of call on the cruise and we joked that in the unlikely event that Hell froze over, we were prepared. :)

Prepared? Yeah, not so much. I also forgot to pack DH's dress shoes and he had to wear his white tennis shoes with his black dress slacks to elegant night.

I tend to lay everything out on the bed and then over a week or so put everything in the suitcases and add to it or take out as I go along. However, I have learned to always close the suitcase in between packing sessions when we got on board on our wedding cruise and unpacked 2 doggie chew toys, one old slipper, and a pair of dirty underwear. Yes, my dogs apparently thought I needed help packing.

I too am a list maker, but I do mine on an excel spreadsheet and color code it. Things that go into the big suitcase one color, things that go into the medium suitcase in one color, my carry on one color, hubby's carryon another color. The color changes as I put them in the suitcase....my husband tells me it's a sickness, but I have never forgotten his undies!

My biggest mistake: I forgot to pack a debarkation outfit. I had to wear the same thing getting off the ship that I wore getting on...now this wouldn't have been an issue had I not sweat my butt off in the blouse while waiting in line to board during embarkation and muster. I also had run out of clean socks, so I had to go sock-less.

Why was going sock-less an issue? Well I was wearing leather boots AND it was February...we had arrived back to Galveston to freezing temperatures and ice.

It wasn't fun.

This time I'll be sure to have a debarkation outfit AND extra socks.

Edited by HollandAvery

Four of us left the house at 4:30 AM with the temperature at about 15 degrees. In the confusion of loading our luggage into the car, we left my wife's suitcase in the house. We didn't even realize it until we were at the baggage carousel in San Juan. Fortunately, our first stop was St. Thomas (huge shopping area right at the dock), so my wife got to buy a whole new summer wardrobe there.

Seriously OVERPACKING!

Like bringing 6 pairs of shoes once!

A woman on a lovely Facebook Cruise Group just set off for an 11 night, no fly, so no stay cruise with 17 pairs of shoes 😮 I usually get home having not worn a dress and/or a couple of t-shirts, but no real mistakes!

After years of overpacking and the grief from my husband that goes with it, I allowed him to pack for himself and our son (12) for our last cruise. Fast forward to Day 5 and he's begging me to do laundry. He assumed he'd be in a swim suit during sea days, as he and my son had always done before. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you talk to) his swim buddy found a friend in Circle C. A young lady wayyyy more interesting than the pool or water slides or hanging out with dad. Plus, my son was wearing more outfits a day, so he needed clothes too.

I made my husband do the laundry himself. Cruel? Maybe. But I think that's the way you learn sometimes.

Why on earth shouldn't he do it himself? Surely the days when men can't wash clothes have gone! If they haven't, that is very depressing :(

On our very first cruise, I was so gung-ho about sneaking in some plastic flasks with my peach vodka. I had put to use all of the good smuggling tips i'd ever heard.

They were mixed in with toiletries, sealed in ziploc bags, stuffed into shoes, and wrapped in towels.

I am completely convinced these were detected by the screeners, and instead of sending me to the naughty room or just confiscating it, they just went ahead and opened it all up ... sunscreen included. So when I opened my bag, everything both DH & I had brought was soaked in vodka and sunscreen. I was doing laundry the first fay of our first cruise. lol

There is no way those opened on their own and I will never be convinced otherwise. Lol

My biggest mistake: I forgot to pack a debarkation outfit. I had to wear the same thing getting off the ship that I wore getting on...now this wouldn't have been an issue had I not sweat my butt off in the blouse while waiting in line to board during embarkation and muster. I also had run out of clean socks, so I had to go sock-less.

Why was going sock-less an issue? Well I was wearing leather boots AND it was February...we had arrived back to Galveston to freezing temperatures and ice.

It wasn't fun.

We had a similar experience coming home from San Juan ... hot and sweaty, we were running through the airport in Houston to make our connecting flight sunburned in shorts & sandals with everyone looking at us like we were nuts. It was warm in Texas when we left, but had dropped to the low 30's while we were gone. It was pretty flippin cold! lol

It wasn't fun.

We had a similar experience coming home from San Juan ... hot and sweaty, we were running through the airport in Houston to make our connecting flight sunburned in shorts & sandals with everyone looking at us like we were nuts. It was warm in Texas when we left, but had dropped to the low 30's while we were gone. It was pretty flippin cold! lol

This is an interesting question, and I have not read all the responses. I know someone mentioned "over packing." I don't think I over pack, but it does seem like I bring my HOUSE with me when I cruise. Actually there have been very few items that I have brought that I did not need.

This is what I ALWAYS do. I have a long list of what to bring on my cruises. As I start to put these items into my luggage, I will mark them off. Just before I fly out, I will have a few (last minute, like my shot that has to be ice/cooled) that I still have circled, and as I put them into my luggage, I mark out the circled ones, and I am READY for the airport. Yes I do have my flight tickets/ID and passport too, and I put them into my purse.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for the overwhelming response to this thread! Thank you for sharing all the mistakes, tips and suggestions -- it helped a lot and is much appreciated. The story is finished, and I will be sure to send around a link when it's up on the site.

Best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

• 2 months later...

I can pack for a whole cruise with a carry on, and tossing in a little silk cocktail dress is no biggie. But for my husband, a suit, tie, dress shoes, etc. is a real pain. We did it on a Celebrity cruise because we did not realize that we could go to the specialty restaurants on formal night and be presentable but not done up like circus ponies. We noted that many of our shipboard acquaintances dressed for dinner and then immediately changed to go dancing, so we did also. Next time we'll skip the formal stuff and pack lighter.

Packing **sigh**

Normally when travelling to Disney, DH and I have one bag - and that's it.

Trying to pack for this upcoming cruise is a little different. We are leaving here (and have 2 connections) in cold and snowy locations so will need warm clothes for travelling in case there's delays, etc.

I have made a list but I think this time we are going to end up with a suitcase each (plus a carry-on between us). The tipping point seems to be the clothing for the more formal night (personally I'd skip it but our entire group has planned to attend) so there's the extra 2 pr shoes, and extra clothing that we normally wouldn't take on a trip. I usually do laundry (as in WDW the laundry rooms are right beside the pools and I'd spend 2 hours at the pool every afternoon so no big deal), but this time we are in 5 ports in 7 days (only 1 sea day) so I'm not sure I'll have time. A friend also mentioned that due to the climate we would probably need more than one swimsuit as they tend not to dry well...... I also find myself being over cautious this time as in other places I've been I know that we could get to a big-box store type thing if we were really desperate.....but I don't know what's available in the Caribbean Island ports (especially for Pooh-sized people) if there's something that I forget.

I always overpack the "non-clothing" - I take a little bit of every type of meds (Gravol, Immodium, Tylenol, Aspirin, Anti-inflammatories, throat drops, cold pills, Benedryl, band aids, anti-acids, Polysporin) as I know the cost/availability issues could be there. Knock on wood that I've never needed it - but the one time I don't take it and you can bet I'll have to find some.