Worst Cruise Packing Mistakes

Brittany C

I pack "year round" for my vacations (I take several, cruises and land). I have an 8' table set up in a room in the house I don't use often, and use that as "Packing central" - I keep things on that table that are specifically for my "next vacation" (for example, an unread magazine to put in my carry-on for the plane). I like having a place to keep my "travel things" so I dont forget them.

A couple weeks before the cruise/trip ... I start planning clothes, and set the actual articles of clothing on the table, arranged by day (and yes, some cruise days have several "outfits" (Gym, pool, pre-dinner, dinner, after dinner), plus the socks/boxers I need for each day. Whatever shoes I'm taking are under the table. I like to visualize what is going to be work every day. I'm also able to sometimes mix-and-match things for multiple days, tho I honestly don't do much of this.

I also have a nice, clear plastic "TSA APPROVED" zipper bag that is packed with all my "Liquids/Gels" -- I have separate "travel" tioletries that I ONLY use for travelling ... this way I already have "Everything" I need and will not "forget" anything. I have also bought travel-sized bottles of my favorite colognes that are always in there. On land vacations when I stay in 'NICE' hotels, I always leave a nice tip for the housekeeper with a note to LOAD ME UP on extra soaps/shampoo which I take home so by now I have a huge "selection" of stuff to bring when I travel.

Having my toiletries "pre-packed" has made my packing SO EASY ... it's been the BEST thing since the "Rolling carry on" was invented, LOL - seriously, this way I can literally close my suitcase the night before I leave without having to worry about packing tioletires once I finish using them the morning I'm leaving on vacation.

I also have a small "packing cube" stuffed with all the cables/chargers I need for my electronics - Like my toiletries, these are for TRAVEL ONLY, so I can get them in the suitcase early and not have to worry about remembering to grab them out of the wall the morning I'm leaving. So less stressful.

I have a ziplock filled with a variety of Nyquill, bandaids and such - NOT A LOT, a couple servings of each, so it doesn't take up a lotta room, and again, I just throw it in and don't have to worry about it.

I also like to have some "new" clothes and a new pair of sneakers for each of my vacations ... so I can find things on sale, and then keep them in my designated packing area until the trip!

I have one "Travel day" outfit that is worn the FIRST and LAST day of the vacation - typically a comfy pair of SCOTTeVEST Convertible travel pants (LOVE ALL THE POCKETS, total of ten!) and an Under Armour performance polo. In a pinch, these convertible pants can zip-off into shorts and be used as a bathing suit if needed!! Seriously, these are the best travel item I own, and I have all the colors. when I travel "light" I can use three pairs for a week or more vacation and not use any other pants - The black ones can "dress up" nice with a shirt/tie if needed.

Also, I fall into the "overpacking" category with regard to shoes/clothes ... but that's what I like - When else in life can I wear FOUR outfits in one day besides on a cruise? .....I also like to have choices of various things to wear, and if some of my clothes never get worn, that's ok. I agree with other posters who said that Cruises are an ideal time to overpack because once you get it there, you don't have to repack and carry it from hotel to hotel like with some land vacations.

I recently bought the over-the-door shoe thing to use on cruises, didn't think i would use it but it is great for the sunscreen and aloe, both of which are too big for the bathroom cabinets on some ships. It really keeps things organized and I got one on Amazon for like $7.

Finally, I HATE Carnival's hangers ... the ones where 4 hangers "share" one hanger. I will only use each for TWO things MAX. Therefore ... I bring the "thin" velvet-covered hangers with me - I got 9 at the dollar store for $3. They don't take up much room and I much prefer using them to carnivals - and I hate wire hangers, which is what I think the cabin stewart gives you ... plus I like to not have to track him down the first day.

Maybe this helps someone, Thanks for reading my thoughts on packing - Please quote me and comment :D

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

I am also a list oriented person. When we cruised in march I had my list inside my planner (still can't get into this digital calendar thing). Come Friday night before we leave and I realize I don't have my planner, it's laying on my desk at work. Of course the alarm is now on at my job so I can't retrieve it before i leave. We actually had everything, but we were scrambling to re-print all the papers and confirmations we had organized in my planner.

I pack "year round" for my vacations (I take several, cruises and land). I have an 8' table set up in a room in the house I don't use often, and use that as "Packing central" - I keep things on that table that are specifically for my "next vacation" (for example, an unread magazine to put in my carry-on for the plane). I like having a place to keep my "travel things" so I dont forget them.

A couple weeks before the cruise/trip ... I start planning clothes, and set the actual articles of clothing on the table, arranged by day (and yes, some cruise days have several "outfits" (Gym, pool, pre-dinner, dinner, after dinner), plus the socks/boxers I need for each day. Whatever shoes I'm taking are under the table. I like to visualize what is going to be work every day. I'm also able to sometimes mix-and-match things for multiple days, tho I honestly don't do much of this.

I also have a nice, clear plastic "TSA APPROVED" zipper bag that is packed with all my "Liquids/Gels" -- I have separate "travel" tioletries that I ONLY use for travelling ... this way I already have "Everything" I need and will not "forget" anything. I have also bought travel-sized bottles of my favorite colognes that are always in there. On land vacations when I stay in 'NICE' hotels, I always leave a nice tip for the housekeeper with a note to LOAD ME UP on extra soaps/shampoo which I take home so by now I have a huge "selection" of stuff to bring when I travel.

Having my toiletries "pre-packed" has made my packing SO EASY ... it's been the BEST thing since the "Rolling carry on" was invented, LOL - seriously, this way I can literally close my suitcase the night before I leave without having to worry about packing tioletires once I finish using them the morning I'm leaving on vacation.

I also have a small "packing cube" stuffed with all the cables/chargers I need for my electronics - Like my toiletries, these are for TRAVEL ONLY, so I can get them in the suitcase early and not have to worry about remembering to grab them out of the wall the morning I'm leaving. So less stressful.

I have a ziplock filled with a variety of Nyquill, bandaids and such - NOT A LOT, a couple servings of each, so it doesn't take up a lotta room, and again, I just throw it in and don't have to worry about it.

I also like to have some "new" clothes and a new pair of sneakers for each of my vacations ... so I can find things on sale, and then keep them in my designated packing area until the trip!

I have one "Travel day" outfit that is worn the FIRST and LAST day of the vacation - typically a comfy pair of SCOTTeVEST Convertible travel pants (LOVE ALL THE POCKETS, total of ten!) and an Under Armour performance polo. In a pinch, these convertible pants can zip-off into shorts and be used as a bathing suit if needed!! Seriously, these are the best travel item I own, and I have all the colors. when I travel "light" I can use three pairs for a week or more vacation and not use any other pants - The black ones can "dress up" nice with a shirt/tie if needed.

Also, I fall into the "overpacking" category with regard to shoes/clothes ... but that's what I like - When else in life can I wear FOUR outfits in one day besides on a cruise? .....I also like to have choices of various things to wear, and if some of my clothes never get worn, that's ok. I agree with other posters who said that Cruises are an ideal time to overpack because once you get it there, you don't have to repack and carry it from hotel to hotel like with some land vacations.

I recently bought the over-the-door shoe thing to use on cruises, didn't think i would use it but it is great for the sunscreen and aloe, both of which are too big for the bathroom cabinets on some ships. It really keeps things organized and I got one on Amazon for like $7.

Finally, I HATE Carnival's hangers ... the ones where 4 hangers "share" one hanger. I will only use each for TWO things MAX. Therefore ... I bring the "thin" velvet-covered hangers with me - I got 9 at the dollar store for $3. They don't take up much room and I much prefer using them to carnivals - and I hate wire hangers, which is what I think the cabin stewart gives you ... plus I like to not have to track him down the first day.

Maybe this helps someone, Thanks for reading my thoughts on packing - Please quote me and comment :D

Cheers!

I bow to you! I can only hope to be that organized one day. Still hoping I'll get there!

My worst mistake was my first cruise and I just completely overpacked. The worst mistake I have made, and am still making is not cross packing. I really think we should, I get why people do it and I think it's a great idea, I just can't bring myself to do it. My husband is a procrastinator and I am not at all. I am a list maker and cross things off as I pack. I think it would totally bug me if all my stuff wasn't in my bag.

I do feel like within the last few cruises I have gotten better with my over packing and have learned how to cut things down. I now don't think I need at least one outfit for every day, I just mix and match things. I also don't need one pair of shoes for every outfit!

I'm an avid list maker too. I keep three small cosmetic bag sized bags packed all the time for travel and one "cruise" bag for door stuff that I find I just need on a ship.

A cosmetic bag that has enough sample sizes of what I need for 10 days or so that always has a 10 day supply of contact lenses in it (my daily ones) and a back up bottle of solution for my son who never remembers to pack his for his non daily lenses as well as a bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser (my FAVORITE cruise item) You can always find a pair of gold hoop classic earrings in the bag and a few pony tail tie backs and I always have an extra tube of toothpaste and new travel toothbrushes in this and an extra small travel sized hairspray in this so i can just hand the baggie to my kids when they knock because they forgot it.

There is a med bag with dramamine, tylenol PM, regular tylenol, bandaids, neosporin, cough drops, benadryl, tums, pepcid, allergy meds, feminine products, aloe, a small sewing kit and EARPLUGS because one one ship we were next to a "baby baby baby" moaner LOL. There is probably more I'm not thinking off but I just keep it packed. It's compact and easy to toss in.

Better to have it and not need it...and another small bag with chargers for kindles, old and new iphone cables, a multi port charging station, blue tooth speakers and multiple ear buds.

And lastly I have a gallon ziplock bag with some fun sunny magnets and honeycomb door decor stuff that have magnets on them as well as a memo pad with a magnet back and pencil attached and some command adhesive strips and a few small bungee cords, a night light, a powerstrip, and playing cards that live in the front pocket of my cruise suitcase.

So...maybe I over pack but I always have what I need. I'd say the biggest mistake isn't over packing. It's underplanning.

Cheers!

Are we related? I'm very similar (replace boxers and socks with undies and bras, lol); I try things on within a month of my trip, and pack in 2-gallon ziplocks (I find they take less space than packing cubes) and have a few canvas organizer trays I use that pack flat. My toiletries and charging cables are also always ready to go :D

Edited by LibratPDX

On our last cruise, due to some miscommunication between myself and DW, my debarkation clothes included shorts that were a size too big that required a belt but my belt ended up in the luggage taken overnight. I had to hold my pants up during the debarkation process until we got our luggage. This wouldn't have been a huge deal if we didn't have a little one with us and our hands full of said little ones stuff.

On our first cruise I packed too much -a dress for each night (7 dresses), 7 pair of shorts, 14 tops, 3 swimsuits, 5 pair shoes, etc. I had two 25 inch suitcases and a carry one. The one thing I forgot was my glasses. I wear contacts but take glasses as my eyes get tired. Not having the glasses was a major inconvenience.

Since then, I pack mix and match items and take a 21 inch suitcase and a back pack and I wear my glasses on the plane.

We actually like to have options so we definitely over pack. However' date=' I don't see the problem in doing that? We have 2 suitcases each that once they are dropped off with the porters aren't a problem at all. It's not like we have to lug them around or anything. We do dress up every night but that's what we like to do. We probably don't wear a third of what we bring but that's ok since we don't know which third that is going to be before we cruise! Unless you are flying I don't see the big deal about over packing. Just gives us more options while we are on the ship. That being said I know every one is different but if you are new to cruising don't worry about over packing is my take. Happy Cruising!!![/quote']

Feel exactly the way you do, especially when driving to a port. I like to have the option of wearing a variety of outfits and am not one of those people who can plan what they will wear everyday. That especially pertains to the 5-7 pair of shoes I pack on every cruise!!!

The day before a cruise, DH and I drove four hours to attend a college football game. I thought I'd have plenty of time to pack when I got home, although I did tuck my meds, toiletries and undies in the suitcase in advance. Unfortunately, the game was delayed five hours due to lightning and we didn't get home until after 4 am. Our flight was at 10. I woke up at 7:30, showered, tossed some stuff into the bag and left, still half asleep. It wasn't until I was on the ship that I realized that I'd only packed shirts with Penn State logos. I have plenty of school spirit, but after the third day of people on the ship shouting WE ARE every time I walked past, I decided to do some shopping.

We're in the camp of overpackers. Everyone has their own comfort level. We don't wear anything twice w/o washing it at home. We're definitely not going to on vacation. We also don't spend all day in a bathing suit, so we need multiple outfits daily. Before packing, I put our outfits out & decide what shoes we need for them. We take as many as we need. This is whether we fly or not. The advice to pack 1/2 as much as you think & bring twice as much money makes no sense to me. The last thing I want to do is end up spending money on things I had at home, but didn't pack. Paying an extra bag fee is cheaper than buying clothes. In short, my advise to first time cruisers is pack what you think you will need, even if someone else thinks it's too much. After your first cruise, you can make an informed decision on what you should pack.

I recommend taking any OTC meds you think you may need. You most likely won't be able to find them on board the ship. Once I forgot to take meds for a yeast infection. I had to suffer through it until we got to port. Never again will I forget that.

We have packed a few things we didn't need & no longer pack. Walkie talkies, a computer & hiking boots for Alaska come to mind. Like I said we're all different. What's important to one person may not be to another.

I once packed 1 each of 2 completely different pairs of black dress shoes for my husband. Good thing his Crocs were black, as well. (He was happier in the Crocs, anyway, and, as far as I know, no one noticed.)

Or they did notice, but were envious. I know my husband would be. [emoji1]

I have an under bed box that I start to collect things in, as well as a flip top storage tote. Makes it so I usually have very little to "find" as the cruise approaches.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I like this idea!

Took white short. Unfortunately my underwear was all colored.

Forget my contact lens case once.

Almost left home last time w/o hair dryer, curling iron. That would not have been good.

Had taken my son on many cruises. When he was 16 we were going again and I kept nagging him to lay out his things. He said he'd do it day of since he knew what he was taking. When it came time to dress for dinner his slacks were 2 inches too short and quite loose. He'd grown much taller and lost the weight as he went up. Belt didn't fit. Duct tape to the rescue on the pants hem...

We're in the camp of overpackers. Everyone has their own comfort level. We don't wear anything twice w/o washing it at home. We're definitely not going to on vacation. We also don't spend all day in a bathing suit, so we need multiple outfits daily. Before packing, I put our outfits out & decide what shoes we need for them. We take as many as we need. This is whether we fly or not. The advice to pack 1/2 as much as you think & bring twice as much money makes no sense to me. The last thing I want to do is end up spending money on things I had at home, but didn't pack. Paying an extra bag fee is cheaper than buying clothes. In short, my advise to first time cruisers is pack what you think you will need, even if someone else thinks it's too much. After your first cruise, you can make an informed decision on what you should pack.

We are the same way. I have no desire to re-wear my sweaty clothes from yesterday. :)

We always take more items that we use , but I don't think that's overpacking I one of thinking its being prepared.

I know it cost a bit more, but the last thing we are going to do is laundry, re wear something from a summer excursion or take a chance with a service cleaning my clothes

We recently went on a euro trip and visited many countries

There were some couples who truly we're proud that they fit all there clothes in one small bag. But I loved looking at my wife , decked out , a glass of wine in her hand as we were at a roof top bistro in Italy in the shadow of the collisium

The other couple were in a group pic we took and well they looked like they were camping

To each their own

I'm an over packer and Nothing will ever change me of that, if i think I might need it, I have to pack it ....

But I'm a master at packing :)

My blunders

Forgetting shoes -

Packing 1 Black shoe and 1 brown shoe (oops) I have done this to my hubby twice

packing only one shoe

Not placing my shampoo in a zip lock ( nothing like shampoo all over EVERYTHING)

Forgetting our tooth brushes ( this has happened many times - thankfully its one of those items you can buy anywhere)

Pack things carefully and think about settlement during transit.

Disembarking at Southampton there were hundreds of people walking past a couple of young ladies who were wrestling with a suitcase that had a distinct vibrating noise coming from it. As people just stared at them one of them exclaimed "It's my electric toothbrush" as if some sort of public explanation was needed.

Regards John

My husband changed suitcases at the last minute and left his passport in the zipper pocket of the original case. Darn good thing we flew down to Florida a couple days before the cruise so it could be sent overnight to us.

Last cruise he "forgot" his suit.

One cruise I was without pajamas and I'm convinced he removed them from my luggage. Watch your stuff ladies - they can be evil!