Any REAL Formal Nights Anywhere???

luvbluseas

No, they haven't. This thread is about formal nights which are formal: which means - no formal attire, no service. When it is optional (and even Cunard doesn't consistently enforce formal attire) a night is not formal.

No judgement here, either way - just recognition that the formal night has gone the way of the dodo.

And yet there are a few dodos left

I think by making the formal restaurant a pay restaurant enforcing the dress code would be easier. Also they could increase the formality by the decor in the room and the service delivered and also by the type of food prepared and perhaps even live dinner music.
I love this idea . It it succeeds good and if it fails, just as good . Then I won't have to read how people want a formal experience but the cruise lines just won't provide one . By the way , how formal ? Tuxedo / gown formal ?

And yet there are a few dodos left

I love this idea . It it succeeds good and if it fails, just as good . Then I won't have to read how people want a formal experience but the cruise lines just won't provide one . By the way , how formal ? Tuxedo / gown formal ?

How formal? black tie I would expect.

DW packs the appropriate number of her dressy dresses and I pack my tuxedo. Therefore, we go formal for formal night. If one wants to show up in a wifebeater and torn blue jeans and rubber flip flops, so be it.

Doc

How formal? black tie I would expect.

That's what real formal is. Otherwise, it's just dressed up.
Ok . I wonder if there are enough pax who wish to pay a cover and be more then " just dressed up " .

Perhaps for 1 cruise night . It could work .

Edited by richstowe

Everyone used to wear suits & dresses to the movies & sporting events. You don't hear people crying about those "good old days."

I agree. Changes in cruise customs reflect the trend in society in general. People used to dress up for church, weddings, and so many other occasions. Those who enjoy "dressing up" have few occasions to do so now.

As to making formal a pay option (as suggested in another post), I don't see this working at all, particularly if the cruise line does not enforce the dress code. Those who enjoy dressing up will resent having to pay to do what they once did for free and some who don't will complain that a venue is not open to them and we I'll hear they "if I paid, I should be able to do what I want" refrain. And the cruise lines will listen to the boors .

I agree. Changes in cruise customs reflect the trend in society in general. People used to dress up for church, weddings, and so many other occasions. Those who enjoy "dressing up" have few occasions to do so now.

As to making formal a pay option (as suggested in another post), I don't see this working at all, particularly if the cruise line does not enforce the dress code. Those who enjoy dressing up will resent having to pay to do what they once did for free and some who don't will complain that a venue is not open to them and we I'll hear they "if I paid, I should be able to do what I want" refrain. And the cruise lines will listen to the boors .

Good idea for a poll to see what the interest would be. I don't know how to set one up, but I think this would be interesting to see the results of.

No I think it would work. If I paid extra, it would make me feel like the occasion was more special and that I'd dress up more. Many of the extra fee restaurants on board, even though are smart casual, I see many people dress up bc it's nicer food, usually nicer service due to the smaller venue, and nicer decor. "Real formal" dressy no, but more dressy than smart casual that's for sure, and what would pass for formal on formal nights on many of the cruise lines today.

The only way dressing nicely is going to work [weather you're on land or at sea] is to establish meaningful role models. The media pretty much drops the ball in this area as the lowest denominator sells best and money is king (reality TV take a bow). Kids look like toads because their parents allow or even encourage them to dress the way they think they should. Look around you at the next funeral you attend. Manners aren't [really] taught any more and our language is turning into a cesspool. I think we've reached a point where a 'beep' or multiple 'beeps' in TV dialog has become a major part of every sentence and we don't even notice it any more. Commercial credibility seems to need a British accent to indicate automatic quality (English is surviving better than 'Merican' if one wants to sound educated). Our downward flowing spiral of taste and style is washing away almost all attempts for us to socially improve.

After several generations - who cares?

Dressing formally for any function is in hospice and will be a thing we'll likely only see in old news footage twenty years from now.

The exception might be if you are seated next to my wife and me having dinner on a 'formal night' while at sea. 'Country Club casual' or some other foolish moniker for dress standards isn't far behind. Woops! My soapbox just fell over.

Edited by Magnum60

To be honest, I have done formal nights on the Norway (Before Freestyle) and on HAL.

And by formal, I mean a nice dress with hose and heels, NOT a ball gown. I dont remember anyone wearing a true ball gown on either ship. Men wore tuxes or suits.

but now? I am a professional and I dress nicely all day every day. I go on vacation to relax and be comfortable. I do NOT want to have to buy a ball gown just so I am allowed to eat on a cruise. That's ridiculous. I'll wear nice tailored black pants and a dressy top. Good enough, and I already own those items.

I have small kids (who I am NOT buying a suit/tux/ball gown for since they grow too fast), and my DH doesnt dance. We dont GO to balls normally.

of course, we also now cruise NCL, so it doesnt matter in the least.

True formal nights would keep me from booking a cruise line. But I also see nothing wrong with having a true formal venue for those who like to be fancy.

Edited by Starflyr3

The only way dressing nicely is going to work [weather you're on land or at sea] is to establish meaningful role models. The media pretty much drops the ball in this area as the lowest denominator sells best and money is king (reality TV take a bow). Kids look like toads because their parents allow or even encourage them to dress the way they think they should. Look around you at the next funeral you attend. Manners aren't [really] taught any more and our language is turning into a cesspool. I think we've reached a point where a 'beep' or multiple 'beeps' in TV dialog has become a major part of every sentence and we don't even notice it any more. Commercial credibility seems to need a British accent to indicate automatic quality (English is surviving better than 'Merican' if one wants to sound educated). Our downward flowing spiral of taste and style is washing away almost all attempts for us to socially improve/QUOTE]

You think dressing nicely makes for a good roll model? Or that dressing up is an indicator of social improvement? I think there are so many more important things we want people to model (learn from others) than fashion sense or dressing up. And dressing casually has nothing to do with the value or strength of a community. IMO, I think it's a good thing that people aren't mistaking being a good person with dressing up or dressing fashionably. It used to be that all sorts of negative ideas/actions/habits could be easily hidden because people were snowed by what a person wore and its cost and/or style.

You think dressing nicely makes for a good roll model? Or that dressing up is an indicator of social improvement? I think there are so many more important things we want people to model (learn from others) than fashion sense or dressing up. And dressing casually has nothing to do with the value or strength of a community. IMO, I think it's a good thing that people aren't mistaking being a good person with dressing up or dressing fashionably. It used to be that all sorts of negative ideas/actions/habits could be easily hidden because people were snowed by what a person wore and its cost and/or style.

Well said .

And what the heck does "English is surviving better than 'Merican' if one wants to sound educated " mean ?

Well said .

And what the heck does "English is surviving better than 'Merican' if one wants to sound educated " mean ?

Although I don't agree with that poster, I think he is trying to say that when American advertisers want to make a product seem likes it's high quality they use an actor with an English accent. However, just like American accents, there are several different English accents. And like how some people can see a Southern accent seem "uneducated", there are accents from the UK that are also. They have the posh Hugh Grant, Royal family, upper class accent, then there is the really hard to understand ones (IMO) from the working class neighborhoods.

Like did anyone watch Hateful 8? Tim Roth's character in the beginning has a posh accent. Then at the end after they are revealed to who they really are, his real accent comes out. What they call cockney I think? To the American ear it's a subtle difference, but it's still noticeable.