Any REAL Formal Nights Anywhere???

luvbluseas

Now that "Celebrity" has joined the 'vast unwashed masses' and have ruined their 'formal nights' is there ANY cruise line that sails the Caribbean that has 'TRUE Formal Nights'?? I realize that Cunard does, but we do not want to sail across the NA and fly back, we are interested in a relaxing Southern Caribbean. We are so very disappointed. The once great "X", with it's excellent dining in Blu and its once 'true' formal nights was always our choice. BUT people could not follow a few simple directions, or dine somewhere else, or on another cruise line - ANY other cruise line. So NOW there are NO cruise lines that have true Formal Nights - Our #1 attraction to cruising!

Cunard does offer one or two round-trip New York sailings to the Caribbean each year. And as you say I know of no other cruise line besides Cunard offering a true formal night where all are expected to remain in their attire not just during the dinner hour but for the entire evening until retiring. On Royal Caribbean's newest ships they are considering designating one MDR as dressy attire required each night. But it appears that element of their 'Dynamic Dining' may be mothballed. You may want to ask about it on their board as the situation seems to change from week to week.

When many cruise lines started specifically enumerating what alternative dining options are available for non-participants in formal night, I think their motive was to reign in the complaints of non-enforcement from those of us who do. Problem is it worked too well for the opposite camp: with more and better alternatives to the MDR on formal nights, more and more passengers stopped packing their tuxes and gowns. So we have what we have now: a few mainstream lines (Princess and even still Carnival) still "requesting" cooperation from those who eschew formal garb in avoiding the MDRs on those nights, but little or no attempt at enforcement. Though you are still more likely to be seated with the like-minded on those lines than Royal, Celebrity and now HAL which have officially made their "dress-up nights" purely optional. Plus NCL which abandoned even that.

Just remember that you are free to dress as nice as you like, as many nights as you like. Though you will spend most of your evening meeting others who chose to dine at the buffet and afterwards wander into the showrooms and lounges as is. That's just cruising in the 21st century.

But just one question:

We are so very disappointed. The once great "X", with it's excellent dining in Blu and its once 'true' formal nights was always our choice.

I was under the impression that Celebrity was in the forefront of creating the concept they called "Aqua Class" of a cabin class with a premium dining experience every night--with the same country-club style dress code every night. I am sure when I was on Infinity a few years ago that while the dress code was enforced in the MDR that there were no formal requirements in BLU--which was advertised as a selling point for future cruises as much as five years ago.

Edited by fishywood

While limited to their Quantum class ships, RCI has one dining venue called The Grande which is designated as a formal restaurant with an apparently enforced formal dress code every night. All other venues on board are casual.

RCI also still has their two recommended formal dress nights on every 7 day itinerary ships and one on shorter itineraries.

But anyone is free to dress as formally as they wish so that would still be your option if that is what you enjoy.

I truly miss the old days when formal meant formal.

Everyone looked so lovely in their tuxedos, white dinner jackets, long gowns, etc.

I guess times have changed and the customer's attitude towards cruising is that it is now a much more common vacation and with a more relaxed attitude.

Clearly the cruise lines are responding to their market and if the cruising public wanted a more formal atmosphere today that would be what they would offer.

But although fewer people now enjoy the formal dinner environment with higher dress standards, that does not mean those who do enjoy that can't do so for themselves. And the cruise lines still offer formal nights with recommended attire for that purpose. While it may not be the old standard it at least still provides that option.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

When we started cruising in the mid 80's there were 3 classes for dining. For 7 days there were two formal nights men at least wearing a suit, most in a tux, two informal nights when men did not have to wear a tie but had to wear a jacket and 3 casual nights, But no one could wear shorts, jeans and men a hat, at any time in the dining room. And there was no evening buffet or room service. Everyone had to eat in the dining room at their assigned table. We miss those days!

I make my husband take his tux for holiday cruises and he just started leaving his suit at home because so many men no longer even wear those! He doesn't feel out of place if he's not wearing even a suit now. But on Celebrity he would bring his suit if not his tux. A friend on 1st cruise was turned away from Celebrity's MDR because he wasn't wearing a jacket!

Seems like many Celebrity cruisers are disappointed about the end of formal night. Perhaps they could have left one very formal pay restaurant at least for a while. This way the folks that love dressing up would have the like to dine with. :)

Why not just dine in formal attire and like it? Or does the attire of the unwashed masses and commoners have that much of an influence on the ability of others to enjoy their vacation?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Exactly. I always wonder the same thing when this issue comes up, as it often does. Maybe those who are getting in such a tiff about the dress code are just uptight fuddyduds who want to complain about everything.

Here's an idea: If you want to dress up, do so. If you don't, then don't. See how easy that was to solve?

I enjoy dressing up on formal nights but I couldn't care less if others do. After all, it's their vacation too.

If the night's suggested dress is "formal"...and you dress formally...no worries! Just because you do doesn't mean everyone wants to or will.

There are folks all over the ship in varying stages of casualness and formality...sort of like in a hotel...you'll see folks in shorts (not usually in the dining room on a formal night), some in their swimsuits going to or from the pool, slacks, gowns...whatever!

Don't worry about what the others do...do what you feel is proper for your situation. This is not a "one size fits all" things...you've got thousands of folk on their OWN vacations...you're simply on the same vessel.

Don't worry...be happy!

I am sorry that other people's appearance can make you so very disappointed. As the Man In Black said, "Get used to disappointment."

Between changing views on dress generally and extra costs for checked baggage, many fewer people want to dress formally (I too think Celebrity was never truly formal, though).

If you wish to make a dress code the deciding factor in your vacation planning, you're welcome to it---I've got other things on my priority list for my vacations.

Seems like many Celebrity cruisers are disappointed about the end of formal night. Perhaps they could have left one very formal pay restaurant at least for a while. This way the folks that love dressing up would have the like to dine with. :)

I was thinking the same thing. Since the trend has now become most wanting casual dress with a few wanting formal, the cruise lines should set aside a smaller formal venue (possibly for pay depending on the menu (ie if it is like a formal steak house) and enforce the dress code letting the masses enjoy their casual cruise. I know when the cruise lines started to move towards casual MDR, those were the ships that interested us more. DH hates the suit/tie/tux thing but has no issue with khaki's and button down shirt. I like either a cocktail or sundress, either of which look nice with DH's outfit. I don't really pay attention to what others are wearing unless they are obviously sticking out like a lady on one of cruises who was almost falling out of the top of her formal dress....she left very little to the imagination. I can't answer OP's answer because I don't search those lines out.

Crystal, Cunard, MSC, Princess, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea Cruise Lines still have formal nights.

The OP is looking for true formal nights, not "suggested formal" which is what Celebrity has been for quite some time. Are any of these lines above true formal, meaning tuxedo or white dinner jacket only for the men? A suit or blazer with tie is not true formal. Pretty sure Princess does not require true formal dress.

Crystal, Cunard, MSC, Princess, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea Cruise Lines still have formal nights.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

Jonathan

No, they haven't. This thread is about formal nights which are formal: which means - no formal attire, no service. When it is optional (and even Cunard doesn't consistently enforce formal attire) a night is not formal.

No judgement here, either way - just recognition that the formal night has gone the way of the dodo.

I was thinking the same thing. Since the trend has now become most wanting casual dress with a few wanting formal, the cruise lines should set aside a smaller formal venue (possibly for pay depending on the menu (ie if it is like a formal steak house) and enforce the dress code letting the masses enjoy their casual cruise. I know when the cruise lines started to move towards casual MDR, those were the ships that interested us more. DH hates the suit/tie/tux thing but has no issue with khaki's and button down shirt. I like either a cocktail or sundress, either of which look nice with DH's outfit. I don't really pay attention to what others are wearing unless they are obviously sticking out like a lady on one of cruises who was almost falling out of the top of her formal dress....she left very little to the imagination. I can't answer OP's answer because I don't search those lines out.

I think by making the formal restaurant a pay restaurant enforcing the dress code would be easier. Also they could increase the formality by the decor in the room and the service delivered and also by the type of food prepared and perhaps even live dinner music.

I think by making the formal restaurant a pay restaurant enforcing the dress code would be easier. Also they could increase the formality by the decor in the room and the service delivered and also by the type of food prepared and perhaps even live dinner music.

I think this would be a good idea. With HAL and Celebrity acknowledging that "formal" is no longer what the masses want, make a small dining room "pay for play" and require true formal wear (no cocktail dresses, no suits, tuxes and ball gowns only). That way, those who still feel the need to dress truly formally or their cruise is ruined may still dress for a night or two. The rest of the guests on the ship may then dress according to the modern suggestion.

Someone mentioned dress in a hotel: I work at a true AAA 5-diamond, Forbes 4-star resort hotel, and we were honored this year as a Conde Nast top 100 hotels in the World. Guests in the lobby in the AM to grab coffee and in the PM to go to the hot tubs, are the norm. I've never had a guest complain about the dress of other guests and no one has complained in survey or online review about that practice. At some point, you just get past what others are wearing and focus on your on experience.

That would make a huge difference, IMO. The MDR is really like a banquet hall, not really condusive to dressing up, let alone formally-- at least for me

While Princess does not have strict formal nights, what I have found is that most people follow the dress code, despite what you may read on this board.

That means you'll see maybe 25-30% tuxes, and most of the rest in suits. There will be a few who choose not to dress, but they are about 5-10% of the total.

I am afraid that, with the exception of Cunard, that's about the best you're going to do...

I truly miss the old days when formal meant formal.

Everyone looked so lovely in their tuxedos, white dinner jackets, long gowns, etc.

Cruising back in the good old days was very expensive. Not many could afford it, so of course everyone who could afford it would dress up. Just like when people back in the day would dress up to ride on the dirty coal burning train. It wasn't cheap and you did so partly to show you had money.

When the cruise lines lowered their prices to attract a larger demographic, the commoners like me are now able to afford to cruise. So the food got worse, the service got worse, and the people got worse. And yes, we cruise bc it is a good value for what you get.

And yes we do dress for formal night, but no we do not think we are dressing true formal. Bf did not wear a jacket on formal night on X and was not turned away. However, back in 2001, I was turned away from the MDR for afternoon tea bc I was wearing shorts. I came back in Adidas workout pants and they let me in. :rolleyes: We were the only people in the whole place. No wonder they got rid of that too.

...The once great "X", with it's excellent dining in Blu and its once 'true' formal nights was always our choice. BUT people could not follow a few simple directions, or dine somewhere else, or on another cruise line - ANY other cruise line. So NOW there are NO cruise lines that have true Formal Nights - Our #1 attraction to cruising!

I don't think that the elimination of formal nights has anything to do with the argument that a few people could not follow directions or dine somewhere else. I think eliminating formal nights was the byproduct of the individual cruise lines constant cost cutting over the past 8+ years.

Let's face it, the product and service that was recently offered on these lines for formal night was anything but formal. The obligatory surf and turf on HAL, for instance, was sad. More often than not a steak was served that should have been used in a beef stir fry and swapping out a lobster tail for small shrimp did nothing to impress nor add to the "formal" festivities.

I travelled on X last year and dined in Blu. Blu was one of the highlights of the cruise. While we really enjoyed the food and service that we received, I would not classify any night's offering as anything close to formal.

Passengers stopped participating in formal nights when cruise lines stopped offering formal events. Simply calling an evening formal doesn't make it formal. Why participate in the pretension?