Road to Hana AND Luau?

handbellplayer

With the POA Maui itinerary, is it possible to do the road to Hana (an organized tour, not on our own) and get back in time to go to the Old Lahaina Luau? It gets the best reviews.

Should we just wait and go to a luau on Kauai on our overnight there instead?

Not knowing your tour's time nor the ship's time in Kahului, I wouldn't try to do both the RTH & OLL on the same day. Would it be possible to rent a car on the first day to tour other parts of Maui ending with the OLL and to take a RTH tour on the next day.

Here are the show times from the OLL's website:

June 1st - August 31st

Showing nightly from 6:15 p.m. till approximately 9:15 p.m.

September 1st - September 30th & March 1st - May 31

Showing nightly from 5:45 p.m. till approximately 8:45 p.m.

October 1st - February 28th

Showing nightly from 5:15 p.m. till approximately 8:15 p.m

I've attended several luaus in Maui and agree with the experts that the OLL is the best one on the island...and maybe even in all of Hawaii. ;) Be aware that it's very popular & can sellout well in advance and because of its popularity the only discount I'm aware of is a kama'aina one for Hawaii residents.

If doing both things is not your best option then hopefully someone can give you suggestions about where to enjoy a luau on Kauai.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Not knowing your tour's time nor the ship's time in Kahului, I wouldn't try to do both the RTH & OLL on the same day. Would it be possible to rent a car on the first day to tour other parts of Maui ending with the OLL and to take a RTH tour on the next day.

Here are the show times from the OLL's website:

June 1st - August 31st

Showing nightly from 6:15 p.m. till approximately 9:15 p.m.

September 1st - September 30th & March 1st - May 31

Showing nightly from 5:45 p.m. till approximately 8:45 p.m.

October 1st - February 28th

Showing nightly from 5:15 p.m. till approximately 8:15 p.m

I've attended several luaus in Maui and agree with the experts that the OLL is the best one on the island...and maybe even in all of Hawaii. ;) Be aware that it's very popular & can sellout well in advance and because of its popularity the only discount I'm aware of is a kama'aina one for Hawaii residents.

If doing both things is not your best option then hopefully someone can give you suggestions about where to enjoy a luau on Kauai.

Thanks for the response. I don't think Hana can be done on the second day and get back to the ship on time. I would love to choose OLL, but my husband really wants to do Hana.

Thanks for the response. I don't think Hana can be done on the second day and get back to the ship on time. I would love to choose OLL, but my husband really wants to do Hana.

What time does your Hana tour return to the ship, and what time do you need to leave for the OLL? That will tell you whether or not it is possible. Even if time allows, I don't know that I'd do it.

The best option is a rental car. Drive the road yourself, stopping when and where and for as long as you want rather than where the tour stops. All the way to Hana, and beyond, and then back again, is a very long day if you stop to see anything along the way. Don't let the drive scare you, it is very low speed and not really scary. Not very tiring for the driver as you stop frequently to get out and see waterfalls, etc. I would drive as far as you feel like, or time allows, and then head back with enough time to drive to the Luau in Lahaina. Or, if you keep the car overnight, head out early the second day and drive as far as you like or as time allows.

It's doable, but the Road to Hana is over=rated, unless you really have time to kill. Yes...lovey views...but it's not a "must do", IMO. If you do it, you're gonna be pretty tired by luau time!

I don't think the RTH is overrated but agree that going there (unless only going partway to Kipahulu) would be too long of a day by adding the OLL.

We've done both on the first day.

Rented a car.

Drove the RTH until mile 6.5 (painted trees), stopped frequently, took our time, and were back to ship before 2PM.

Ate lunch, rested a bit, and a few minutes after 4PM were on our way to OLL, which took about 45 min of very easy driving. We were early and had time to wander around a bit.

Left a mere 10 min before the show's end, and by 9PM were back on ship.

We r very happy with what we've seen on the RTH (decided to see the black sand beach on another stop), and the OLL was excellent and well worth the expense.

Just did RTH in April. We over nighted in port so did RTH the first day. We were on a private tour with Roberts. We left at 9 AM and did not get back to port until after 8. Unless you our overnighting I would not attempt, and would not ever do this on my own in rental. Some of the road is unpaved, very narrow, extreme curves, and one lane bridges on a curve. I am not sorry I took trip, but would not do again. Many who do this do not take the entire route. The first part of our trip was not bad. After you pass Hana, and are on the South side of the island is where it gets hairy. If you belong to AAA, get a map of Maui and you can see the road. Also, there is very little population on the South side.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just did RTH in April. We over nighted in port so did RTH the first day. We were on a private tour with Roberts. We left at 9 AM and did not get back to port until after 8. Unless you our overnighting I would not attempt, and would not ever do this on my own in rental. Some of the road is unpaved, very narrow, extreme curves, and one lane bridges on a curve. I am not sorry I took trip, but would not do again. Many who do this do not take the entire route. The first part of our trip was not bad. After you pass Hana, and are on the South side of the island is where it gets hairy. If you belong to AAA, get a map of Maui and you can see the road. Also, there is very little population on the South side.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Most ship tours double back at Hana or a little beyond before you reach the portion of unimproved road you talk about. Most people in rentals double back as well as it is questionable whether or not your rental contract covers you on the portion much beyond Hana. Something to think about should you have a breakdown or damage the car. I agree, I would not do the portion much beyond Hana unless on a guided tour. But, going as far a Hana or the 7 sacred pools or Lindberg's grave would pose no problem in a rental. To me, it is like driving on a country road. Well paved and no one goes fast, probably 20mph most of the time. Not in the least scary. It just takes a considerable investment in time, even if you just go to Hana and double back.

Edited by punkincc

The RTH as far as Kipahulu looks like a highway in comparison to the Kahekili road around the north end of Maui near Kahakuloa. ;)

Even the road beyond Kipahulu to Upcountry is better than that north Maui section of roadway. Not only is it truly only enough room for one car with small turnouts but it's also located on steep cliffs. Several times per year cars roll down these cliffs which has resulted in fatalities. That's something that rarely happens along the RTH or along the isolated stretch of south Maui roadway to Upcountry.

It's doable, but the Road to Hana is over=rated, unless you really have time to kill. Yes...lovey views...but it's not a "must do", IMO. If you do it, you're gonna be pretty tired by luau time!

Ditto ditto ditto, we are in Maui every year and that is one long and exhausting trip. The road is narrow and twists and turns and switch backs.

Long and exhausting, don't waste a complete day! So many lovely things to do in Maui :) JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've spent a lot of time on Maui. Consider this option. I think you will have a great day and a perfect Hawaiian dinner!

Drive to Hana. On the way home, stop for dinner at Mama's Fish House.(reservations advised)

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/#_=_

Mama's Fish House will be a perfect location for a dinner at the end of your day. It's viewed by many as the best dining experience on Maui, amazing food and wonderful island ambiance.

Mama's in my opinion is the best restaurant on the planet! That's how much we love it. You need reservations as they are very popular. We usually go for lunch because the drive from the Lahaina - Kanapolli area is over an hour for us on narrow rural roads and in the dark.

At lunch you can see that mama's is set for n a stunning location and a gorgeous view. I like the Valet parking too (it's free) :)

Mama's in my opinion is the best restaurant on the planet! That's how much we love it. You need reservations as they are very popular. We usually go for lunch because the drive from the Lahaina - Kanapolli area is over an hour for us on narrow rural roads and in the dark.

At lunch you can see that mama's is set for n a stunning location and a gorgeous view. I like the Valet parking too (it's free) :)

Yes, Mama's is amazing but so are the dinner prices...$48-$85 entrées. ;)

We've gone a couple of times for lunch which was less expensive & shared a few pupus and the location, service & food were all great. But if spending that much, I prefer the Feast at Lele...great entertainment, drinks & food depicting four Polynesian cultures served to you at sunset on the beach. :) But that's in Lahaina & as I previously posted it would be too much to do after a full day of exploring the RTH.

Yes, Mama's is amazing but so are the dinner prices...$48-$85 entrées. ;)

We've gone a couple of times for lunch which was less expensive & shared a few pupus and the location, service & food were all great. But if spending that much, I prefer the Feast at Lele...great entertainment, drinks & food depicting four Polynesian cultures served to you at sunset on the beach. :) But that's in Lahaina & as I previously posted it would be too much to do after a full day of exploring the RTH.

Never said it wouldn't cost a Mortgage payment to eat there! But for once or twice a year I'll make that choice :)

Just curious what "narrow rural roads" you take from Lahaina to Mama's Fish House??

Once you leave the main highway and especially at night you end up on the outer road going they the tiny towns. Roads not meant for the daytime traffic that they get now but at night a good part of the trip seems to be in the middle of cane fields. Bottom line Kahana (above Kanapolli) is a very very long drive. Don't like to do it at night and yes the middle of Maui is rural farm/agricultural land.

But for once or twice a year I'll make that choice :)

That's great & I was sharing my experience & thoughts for 'handbellplayer' who may be unaware of the prices. I merely share my experiences & thoughts but would never tell anyone which is their best choice. :)

That's great & I was sharing my experience & thoughts for 'handbellplayer' who may be unaware of the prices. I merely share my experiences & thoughts but would never tell anyone which is their best choice. :)

Yep and I think we all are sharing our ideas for the OP. Guess I've seen one too many Hawaiian Hula shows ;)

Guess I've seen one too many Hawaiian Hula shows ;)

I can relate to that situation & we usually only go to luaus that our visiting Ohana can afford. When we want great Hawaiian hula halau performances we go to a performance taught by a kumu hula teacher at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center.

For special occasions we go to the Feast at Lele which has performances based on the four Polynesian cultures along with food courses that are based on each culture.

Edited by Astro Flyer

When we want great Hawaiian hula halau performances we go to a performance taught by a kumu hula teacher at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center.

As a matter of fact, our daughter's kumu hula is Uluwehi Guerrero, and he and his halau (Halau Hula Kauluokala) will be performing one show at the MACC on Saturday, September 3rd at 7:30 p.m. Ulu has a beautiful voice, and the whole show is a true look at Hawaiian culture through song and dance. We believe he has several hundred students in various classes/ages in his halau, and their costumes and obvious love for hula make for an exceptional evening. We can recommend this event for anyone wanting something beside a luau show.

As a matter of fact, our daughter's kumu hula is Uluwehi Guerrero, and he and his halau (Halau Hula Kauluokala) will be performing one show at the MACC on Saturday, September 3rd at 7:30 p.m. Ulu has a beautiful voice, and the whole show is a true look at Hawaiian culture through song and dance. We believe he has several hundred students in various classes/ages in his halau, and their costumes and obvious love for hula make for an exceptional evening. We can recommend this event for anyone wanting something beside a luau show.

Unfortunately we'll miss seeing your daughter's performance because we'll be on the Mainland on that date.

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing his beautiful voice in person & only on a CD. We did see him in line at OGG & as I recall he was much shorter than what I thought.

I've enjoyed several performances by Kealii Reichel & his halau which were great & he is also short. He performed the duet that he sang with Sistah Robi Kahakalau on his CD but instead it was KPOA's Morning Goddess Alakai Paleka and their big height & size difference resulted in laughter throughout the theater when they met in the middle of the stage. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Once you leave the main highway and especially at night you end up on the outer road going they the tiny towns. Roads not meant for the daytime traffic that they get now but at night a good part of the trip seems to be in the middle of cane fields. Bottom line Kahana (above Kanapolli) is a very very long drive. Don't like to do it at night and yes the middle of Maui is rural farm/agricultural land.

We are well familiar with all roads on Maui, as we live here, and just feel that travel from Kahana to Kuau Cove is a lot easier than you make it out to be.

We are well familiar with all roads on Maui, as we live here, and just feel that travel from Kahana to Kuau Cove is a lot easier than you make it out to be.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. You live there full time, while I spend a couple weeks 2 or 3 times a year.

We love Mama's but finally made the decision a few years ago that we did not like the very long drive at night on what we call rural roads (little lights & miles thru cane fields). From Kahana it's a long drive and we would much rather make that drive during daylight hours and enjoy the views of the water and beach at Mama's for a late lunch.

I'm glad you don't mind that long drive but that's your choice, we made a different one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums