nola hotel advice please

craftymarie

we will be in New Orleans from 11th to 15th November 2016 after ncl dawn cruise. our TA has recommended the Astor Crowne Plaza hotel which will cost approx. $700 for the two of us for the 4 nights inc taxes.

do you think that this is a good hotel/deal or can you recommend somewhere else for similar money or even less. we do not want to pay much more than this preferring to use it for sightseeing tours etc.

thanks Marie

we will be in New Orleans from 11th to 15th November 2016 after ncl dawn cruise. our TA has recommended the Astor Crowne Plaza hotel which will cost approx. $700 for the two of us for the 4 nights inc taxes.

do you think that this is a good hotel/deal or can you recommend somewhere else for similar money or even less. we do not want to pay much more than this preferring to use it for sightseeing tours etc.

thanks Marie

Whoa that's a bad week for hotels in New Orleans. The lowest hotwire price is $731 after taxes for those nights. There's a 2.5* that is over 700 PER NIGHT. There must be some big convention or something going on. Right now it doesn't look like you'll be able to do better than the $700...unless you wait to see if prices go down....or if you stay in the Garden District. You could do that for $425.

thanks Marie

Whoa that's a bad week for hotels in New Orleans. The lowest hotwire price is $731 after taxes for those nights. There's a 2.5* that is over 700 PER NIGHT. There must be some big convention or something going on. Right now it doesn't look like you'll be able to do better than the $700...unless you wait to see if prices go down....or if you stay in the Garden District. You could do that for $425.

yes prices seem high. what do you think of the astor crowne plaza. is it a nice hotel. is it central and in a safe area. are there streetcar stops nearby?

also our TA mentioned the Queen Anne Hotel 3* for approx.€630 (reviews very mixed)

or are there any specific hotels I should be looking at? just naming areas I should look at is confusing me. I am nervous booking somewhere unless I get advice. lol

thanks

yes prices seem high. what do you think of the astor crowne plaza. is it a nice hotel. is it central and in a safe area. are there streetcar stops nearby?

also our TA mentioned the Queen Anne Hotel 3* for approx.€630 (reviews very mixed)

or are there any specific hotels I should be looking at? just naming areas I should look at is confusing me. I am nervous booking somewhere unless I get advice. lol

thanks

I've never stayed at Astor, but i know the location is outstanding if you're wanting to be near bourbon street. It's on the corner of canal/bourbon. I beleive if you booked the 4* bourbon street/French quarter with 80% recommendation for $156 on Hotwire, you would get Astor crown plaza. But after taxes and fees it's over $700. Prices could go up or down between now and then. I would probably book an acceptable hotel that you can cancel with no penalty now as a safety net...and keep my eye on the Hotwire prices. Queen Ann is in the Garden District if you stay in the garden district you would have to take a streetcar or cab when you want to go to the French quarter. Think of this as a map with the port being in the warehouse district area:

---------------------- Downtown------fq bourbon street

Garden - warehouse -fq miss River - fq bourbon street

Mississippi River-----------------------------Mississippi River

We recently stayed at the Embassy Suites in the warehouse district. we paid an extra $20 and stayed in the Lofts building. It was fantastic! Think all the perks of an Embassy with only a few rooms in the building. The breakfast buffet was not the typical mad house and it included mimosas and bloody marys. There was also soda and water available all day. It was nice to grab a bottle of water on our way out.

thanks Marie

If this is coming in as lower rates than other properties, this is a good, overall location. I find New Orleans is best seen by foot and if no limitations will offer you a lot of options.

The St Charles Streetcar is across the street. within a block.

I highly recommend Free Tours by foot. Of course you tip, but, can be a cost savings. http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-orleans-tours/

The Park Service is also informative. two locations, with excellent walking tour brochures.

We recently stayed at the Embassy Suites in the warehouse district. we paid an extra $20 and stayed in the Lofts building. It was fantastic! Think all the perks of an Embassy with only a few rooms in the building. The breakfast buffet was not the typical mad house and it included mimosas and bloody marys. There was also soda and water available all day. It was nice to grab a bottle of water on our way out.

I'll second that. I stayed at the embassy suites lofts once in 2009. I loved it. It felt more like an apartment. I don't know if it's changed since then but the breakfast buffet was huge....everything you could imagine including cooked to order omlets.

American Heart Association annual conference is going on at that time. I would expect prices to stay high. If you are single great time to look for a rich husband. :D

Knew there had to be something going on...hopefully the Saints are on a bye or on the road that weekend.

I'll second that. I stayed at the embassy suites lofts once in 2009. I loved it. It felt more like an apartment. I don't know if it's changed since then but the breakfast buffet was huge....everything you could imagine including cooked to order omlets.

It was huge and no long line for an omelet!

thanks Marie

Marie, we use VRBO. We have used them numerous times. I have a house booked in NOLA for Mar for 3 nights, for 5 people for 535.00. 10 minute walk from downtown. If you are interested in more information please feel free to email me janicecarley@gmail.com. The homes are beautiful and much nicer than a hotel.:)

Happy sailing

Janice

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...