late departure in alaska

bosco85

Hello,

We'll be on the Star next month. It doesn't depart until 8:30PM. We are taking the train in, which gets in a bit after noon. For those of you who have done this trip before, what is the first day onboard like with the late departure time?

We're used to Caribbean cruises that leave early evening, and are sunshine and fruity drinks from the time you get onboard. Just wondering what you do on embarkation day in Alaska.

It's a bit different.... not a lot of fan fare and much more staggered boarding. Keep in mind people are boarding right till the cut off with people arriving from the land portion transfers offered by Princess. I liked that it was a relaxed day on our trip.

My experience on Coral on the first night was that dining in the MDR was NOT assigned and was more like Anytime dining, just go to the assigned dining room when you are ready to eat, even if you have an assigned table.

If you're sailing Southbound out of Whittier be sure and spend time the first evening after sail away out on deck. This is some of the most spectacular scenery on your trip. I'll be on deck for about 3 hours, this time of year it will be twilight until very late. Most people head to bed after traveling to the ship and miss what IMHO is one of the highlights.

I'm up in Alaska almost every year and sail for a B2B in about 3 weeks. My favorite is sailing North of Skagway all the way up to Whittier and back.

Hello,

We'll be on the Star next month. It doesn't depart until 8:30PM. We are taking the train in, which gets in a bit after noon. For those of you who have done this trip before, what is the first day onboard like with the late departure time?

We're used to Caribbean cruises that leave early evening, and are sunshine and fruity drinks from the time you get onboard. Just wondering what you do on embarkation day in Alaska.

What is the date of your sailing? I am on STAR May 27 from Whittier, coming from a land tour. Our tour is schedule to arrive in Whittier about 6:30pm.

If you're sailing Southbound out of Whittier be sure and spend time the first evening after sail away out on deck. This is some of the most spectacular scenery on your trip. I'll be on deck for about 3 hours, this time of year it will be twilight until very late. Most people head to bed after traveling to the ship and miss what IMHO is one of the highlights.

I'm up in Alaska almost every year and sail for a B2B in about 3 weeks. My favorite is sailing North of Skagway all the way up to Whittier and back.

So very true! We have even seen some beautiful whales

We are also on Star departing 27 May. Yippeeee it's getting close. Steve T from Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Steve!

Is your group doing the land tour? Sorry I forgot!

You are right, not long now. I am getting more excited each day. We have a early morning flight (5:00am) on the 20th from SHV to DFW and then, arrive in Seattle.(11:15am) for 2 nights.

Sandra

If you get to Whittier that early consider doing a Prince William Sound Boat Tour. You get a lot closer to the glaciers on those small boat tours then you will on the Princess cruise ship. Well worth your time and it fits well with the ship departure schedule. You will be on board for dinner.