7 mile beach

DKNE

Have read that this beach is approx 10km long. If we take the city bus to the beach, what stop would you suggest to get off on this beach?

Where there is chairs, food, washrooms, and a great area for kids ?

Thanks !

The negatives I have with SeaGrape is the limited width of the beach and it can get really crowded. Public has a playground for the younger ones and if the sea is calm there are inflatable toys for a price.

SeaGrape is just 300' up the beach for food and drink. Public Beach does have chairs, umbrellas, showers and restroom. More of a family beach.

10Km = 6.2 miles :) I'm a distance runner.:D

• 1 month later...
Where along 7 mile beach might we find the least amount of crowds and kids? No offense to those w/ children, but prefer a bit more quiet.

It's not necessarily less crowded, depending on how many ships are in port, but usually fewer families with children hit Royal Palms, I think mainly because of the $2 entry fee and the adults-only pool.

For quiet, I'd suggest walking along the beach until you find one of the areas without any facilities...those are the only areas I've seen that usually don't have too many people.

We are likely walking from the Pier for the exercise. Where would Cemetary Beach be in regard to some landmarks?

Thanks.

It's the section of Seven Mile Beach where the cemetery is... :D

Edited by bookbabe

Too far to walk to Cemetery Beach. If you walk from the tender pier you will spot a Public Beach entrance in about 1 mile.

Not too far for us! I run marathons and he run/walks half marathons so we were using this day for dual purposes: exercise and fun. We LOVE to walk when we are traveling and take in the sights!

Ok, I asked for that!

In relation to the public bus stop would it be north or south?

Thanks.

There aren't really bus stops, just ask the driver to stop at Cemetery Beach. The cemetery is between the main road (West Bay Road) and the beach. Follow the path along the side of the cemetery to get to the water. If you're running/walking there, along the main road, the cemetery is still easy to spot, and it'll be on your left (water) side as you are moving away from the port area, towards the far end of Seven Mile Beach.

Edited by bookbabe

an amazing number of non-answers!

Cemetery beach is the beach near the cem'try YES

and that makes it the north end of "7 mile"

and THAT makes it about 5 miles 'road' and 4.5 miles 'crow' from the tender area ... NORTH

if you use Google Earth ... you can find it all and measure for your self!

Some clarifications...

Cemetery Beach is about 5 miles from the port, not walking distance for most vacationers. It is adjacent to the second major cemetery you come to as you leave the port. The correct cemetery is directly across the road from the West Bay Fire Station. There is ironshore and little sand near Dixie Cemetery (the first cemetery you come to, which is MUCH closer to the port).

There is an Esso gas station perhaps a half mile up the beach from Cemetery Beach. It is not abandoned. There is nice sandy beach there. Not sure about the snorkeling close to shore but from overhead imagery it looks like the coral is closer to shore by the cemetery.

For fewer kids and families (and probably fewer cruise ship passengers as well) stop at Governor's Beach. This is directly adjacent to, and just north of, the Westin Hotel. As the name implies, it is located in the vicinity of the Governor's residence. There are no facilities (restrooms, chair rental, food vendors, etc...) at the location.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to walk to Public beach (the one near the kid's playground)?

Is it less than 2 miles? I can't figure out how to look that up on google maps, and I see there are several very knowledgeable people here that know GC well.

Thank you!!

Is it less than 2 miles? I can't figure out how to look that up on google maps, and I see there are several very knowledgeable people here that know GC well.

Thank you!!

Possible? Technically, I guess you could walk. It's definitely way over 2 miles, though. I wouldn't try to do it.

Thank you!!

I'm not sure how far it is to Public Beach. However, from the dock to the start of 7 mile beach is 1.5 miles. We plan to walk to the beach next month as part of our daily exercise.