Who gets calls for upsale?

MSUcruisers

We've been on several NCL cruises and never received an offer for an upsale. I just wonder how cruisers are selected to get the phone call from the upsale department. Do you have to book directly with NCL or can you use a TA?

Both direct and TA booked passengers have gotten Upsells the difference they will only call your TA if booked that way and you have to hope your TA calls you

There is no firm rhyme or reasons for who the contact It seems each has their own method. I have asked when called how they selected me. Different answers. The could start with those in cabins that NCL knows they can resell quickly. Often there is a wait list for aft cabins and they start there. Another agent told me she started with platinum in the highest category and worked down. Sometimes those on there first NCL cruise have been contacted. So as I started this post there is no clear reason for who they call.

We've never gotten a call, either, and have been on a number of NCL cruises. I'm wondering if it's because we normally book with online agents who have many people on a given sailing and don't bother calling them.

In the past five years (12 cruises), we have been called three times with upsell offers.

All of the cruises were booked directly with NCL.

Here are some of my observations: How long ago did I book the cruise? What category did I purchase originally? Has NCL been dropping the pricing anyway for weeks before the call? (I now watch online for this trend! Also watch economic/global outlook, time of year, itinerary, which ship, etc.) Best deal was upsell from BA Balcony to an Owner's Suite on the Star... the economy was at rock bottom at the time and it was a Fall cruise.

I forgot to mention 3 upsells out of 24 cruises and we were also in aft P/H.

You also have to remember that if you are chasing Laitude points and have booked 9 months out you will lose the additional points. If your already Platinum then it doesn't make much of a difference.

We were offered an upsell once....it really wasn't a very good deal....it was the same price as if I would have made an upgrade by myself online....:rolleyes:

That is true, but if you do the upsell through them, you get to keep all of your extra perks, like OBCs, and the extra points for booking early....:)

Umpteen NCL cruises and 1 upsell. We booked direct with NCL, an aft balcony and were offered what was then an AC (forward) suite. :D

On other cruises we upgraded ourselves. I watched the pricing and when I saw a deal, I called our PCC and moved up for a comparatively small price. They are harder and harder to find, though. :cool: Best deal of all, though, was moving to a GV after negotiating once we were aboard. They no longer offer than option.

From reading other posts, it seems we should initially book those aft balconies. ;)

Edited by OceanDreaming2

Umpteen NCL cruises and 1 upsell. We booked direct with NCL, an aft balcony and were offered what was then an AC (forward) suite. :D

On other cruises we upgraded ourselves. I watched the pricing and when I saw a deal, I called our PCC and moved up for a comparatively small price. They are harder and harder to find, though. :cool: Best deal of all, though, was moving to a GV after negotiating once we were aboard. They no longer offer than option.

From reading other posts, it seems we should initially book those aft balconies. ;)

Especially the deck 10 aft balconies. I have booked them at least 10 times and never cruised in one. 3 or 4 times like you when prices dropped last minute on the penthouses I upgraded myself. Upsells to the Haven twice, SC twice, OS twice and the DOS once. I have a deck 10 balcony booked for September lets see what happens. I may just stay with friends booked in the B1 next door and the 2 on deck 9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

It seems that two or three years ago we were seeing upsell postings on here several times a week. It is very rare now to see a post from someone receiving "the call". Not sure if folks just don't post it anymore or if they are fewer than before. The only time we didn't book a suite (BA balcony) we got a penthouse upgrade when the price dropped.

I was on the Breakaway the week of July 14 and noticed that the prices dropped significantly the week before. I called and they gave me an upgrade from an interior to a balcony. It doesn't hurt to make the call yourself instead of waiting for a call. The worst thing that can happen is that they will say no.

Same thing here. We were booked on deck 10 AFT and got the call. I think my brother was linked to us and he received the call (and he was in a regular balcony). Then just recently, he was in an ocean view and got the call. I wonder if they know you have upgraded in the past, they call you?

I was on the Breakaway the week of July 14 and noticed that the prices dropped significantly the week before. I called and they gave me an upgrade from an interior to a balcony. It doesn't hurt to make the call yourself instead of waiting for a call. The worst thing that can happen is that they will say no.

Was your cruise booked directly through NCL or a TA?

We've been on several NCL cruises and never received an offer for an upsale. I just wonder how cruisers are selected to get the phone call from the upsale department. Do you have to book directly with NCL or can you use a TA?

I have no idea, but "Go Green!"

After reading these responses, it got me thinking, (yeah, that's dangerous:D).....

I wonder if NCL keeps a detailed insider profile on their passengers....not the one you can see when you log in to My NCL, but for internal use only...it would show your cruise history, but perhaps it also shows your spending habits on board?

That could possibly be a determining factor on who gets the upgrade offer, or other things, like invitations to dine with officers, etc.......

I have gotten two upsell calls, both within about 3-4 days of sailing, both on transatlantics. I always wondered if they called the second time because I jumped at it the first time. The first time I moved from a balcony to a mini-suite which was wonderful; the second time they talked me into (literally) taking an aft suite. I thought it was overpriced but the reason I finally took it was it was an aft, not because it was a penthouse suite, and I had read so many great things about afts I coughed up the difference. I actually did not use the suite perks at all except for eating breakfast and lunch in Il Adagio (I was on the Sun.) I was on deck 8, which I think was an SE.

Anyway, be careful what you wish for! I got the aft part out of my system as our crossing started out extremely rough and after the second night of all the drawers sliding in and out, the ship thudding and thumping and banging and things falling off the edge of the tub and breaking in the middle of the night, I begged to be moved. Fortunately they had a forward suite still available (also on deck 8) that they were going to give away at bingo and I was able to move up there. I think if they hadn’t have let me move I would have either jumped overboard or at least gotten off in Lisbon. It was absolutely horrible, just a thundering racket, I can’t even describe it. It felt like the propellers were coming out of the water everytime the back end of the ship went up and then we would slam back down into the water. This was in the English Channel and Bay of Biscay which at least the Bay is typically rough so was not that unexpected in terms of movement, but the noise was just unbearable. Anyway, there was probably even more motion forward but it was OH SO QUIET and I found I much prefer seeing where we are going to where we have been anyway.

My next crossing I am determined NOT to be talked into an upsell. I have the balcony I want and I’m NOT moving!! J

p.s. I have been on 6 NCL cruises. The first call was only on my second cruise in 2009 and then I got another one last fall. I booked directly through NCL.

16 NCL cruises under my belt, and I have yet to get an upsell call from NCL. I have a cruise on the Breakaway next month for a big birthday, so I am hoping 17 is my lucky number. Hope springs eternal!?!

Whoo Hoo.

Here is a happy update. Perhaps 17 is my lucky cruise number, as we just got an upsell call for our Breakaway cruise 8/18. We moved from an inside to a B1 aft balcony for $350 total. And the NCL agent was delightful on the phone, too.

We booked directly with NCL. Of course we booked many of our prior NCL cruises directly, too, and did not get such a call. I do not know why we got the upsell call this time, but I feel so very fortunate.

Thanks, NCL.

Now for the happy dance....

We have ALWAYS got an upsell call when we booked AFT balcony, like someone else said, we've never actually sailed in one!

Booked both through NCL and a TA.

Inside to balcony may be a bit harder to come by, best check the prices and try to upsell yourself.

Edited by McDebbie

like the OP said, watch the prices after you book. I booked an inside guarantee for the Breakaway. I kept checking the prices on NCL. I saw an oceanview for $659 with an upgrade to a balcony. I called them and for an extra $120 I got DH and I a balcony.:D