Who gets calls for upsale?

MSUcruisers

We have ALWAYS got an upsell call when we booked AFT balcony, like someone else said, we've never actually sailed in one!

Booked both through NCL and a TA.

Inside to balcony may be a bit harder to come by, best check the prices and try to upsell yourself.

Did they call your TA when you were booked with one or call you directly?

This is my first NCL cruise. I booked a mid ship deck 11 inside cabin about 8 months ago on the Breakaway. I am now in a mid ship deck 9 balcony at the same price. I did do everything myself though.

We've had two upsell offers. The first was when we booked with a brick-and-mortar TA years ago, and the second was when I worked at a travel agency myself and booked my own cruise and so they called me direct. Both times happened to be for a cruise on the Sun.

I've booked our last few NCL cruises with and an online agency because I get a better rate and an obc...but never an upsell call. I've been meaning to ask her (the agent I call directly to book) if I might expect 'the call' but keep forgetting. I think that's because deep-down I believe that that is an option I forfeited to get these rates and a obc!

That being said, has anyone booked online AND gotten an upsell offer?? I'd like to hear if you have. Thanks!!!!!!

Whoo Hoo.

Here is a happy update. Perhaps 17 is my lucky cruise number, as we just got an upsell call for our Breakaway cruise 8/18. We moved from an inside to a B1 aft balcony for $350 total. And the NCL agent was delightful on the phone, too.

We booked directly with NCL. Of course we booked many of our prior NCL cruises directly, too, and did not get such a call. I do not know why we got the upsell call this time, but I feel so very fortunate.

Thanks, NCL.

Now for the happy dance....

That is GREAT!!! Have a wonderful trip!!

Wow, just mentioned this thread and got "the call" regarding an upgrade on the Pride of America.

We were originally booked in a Cat SH on the new Deck 13 (which are debuting after 9/7/13). We were upgraded to Cabin 9000 which is Cat SA. I was hesitant at first because we were looking forward to seeing the new suites, but because of the cost difference, it was hard to pass up. 7k vs 15K.

Besides, the cabin we were in was really one big room and the one we were upgraded to has a separate bedroom for the kids so we will have more privacy.

Thanks NCL for coming through for us this time.

Wow, just mentioned this thread and got "the call" regarding an upgrade on the Pride of America.

We were originally booked in a Cat SH on the new Deck 13 (which are debuting after 9/7/13). We were upgraded to Cabin 9000 which is Cat SA. I was hesitant at first because we were looking forward to seeing the new suites, but because of the cost difference, it was hard to pass up. 7k vs 15K.

Besides, the cabin we were in was really one big room and the one we were upgraded to has a separate bedroom for the kids so we will have more privacy.

Thanks NCL for coming through for us this time.

That is wonderful; enjoy the upgrade.

Hmm, I am platinum and posted on this thread that I have never gotten an upsell call. Then, boom, I got one. You are also platinum and posted on this thread that I have never gotten an upsell call. Then, boom, you got one. Could the upsell fairy be reading this thread or did we each finally get really lucky?

In case she is reading, thanks again, upsell fairy; you are fabulous!

We received and upgrade on the Pearl - from an inside cabin to a balcony for free- our inside cabin was right across from one of the big suites at the front of the boat (can't remember which deck) - the caller from NCL told us someone in one of the suites wanted our cabin and if we'd give that cabin up, they'd upgrade us to a balcony for FREE - of course we took it.

Then on our next cruise on the Pearl to Alaska - prices dropped and two weeks before sailing we were able to go from a balcony to a mini-suite. Too bad the new prices on the mini-suites were lower than we paid for our balcony, but we did get the better room.

This is my first NCL cruise. I booked a mid ship deck 11 inside cabin about 8 months ago on the Breakaway. I am now in a mid ship deck 9 balcony at the same price. I did do everything myself though.

I did the same thing -- except from a Deck 5 inside to a Deck 11 balcony. I am my own upgrade fairy...hahaha.

I've never gotten an upsell call.

We have always booked through NCL with the same CC because she is so easy to work with. No upsell calls and we are usually booked a year in advance. I asked her about the calls and she said that the "fairies" are in another area and they get lists and start making random calls. They usually start the week before the sail date. Keep the lines open.

I get a whole lot of random calls, never any from the Upgrade Fairy" :D

Wow you guys are making me hopeful Our daughter is booked in GTY unobstructed view, for the Gem cruise this sat, and still hasn't been assigned a room. We have a booked balcony, hoping she gets an upgrade (we never have). She is celebrating her graduation and getting admitted into grad school in sept, and would be so happy with an upgraded room

Safe sailing

trintrav - How can this be? Going from 15K to 7K seems incredible to me.

Wow you guys are making me hopeful Our daughter is booked in GTY unobstructed view, for the Gem cruise this sat, and still hasn't been assigned a room. We have a booked balcony, hoping she gets an upgrade (we never have). She is celebrating her graduation and getting admitted into grad school in sept, and would be so happy with an upgraded room

Safe sailing

Fingers crossed for her :). I will be on the gem 8/31 also booked a gty room. It was assigned over a month ago

We were booked in an aft balcony also, and about 1-2 weeks before cruise, got the call for the deluxe owners suite! I turned it down at first, then after talking to my husband, changed my mind and called them back (sorry, did not keep the number, lol) . All I can say is, it was AMAZING! We are booked again on the Jewel on MARCH 2nd but have a regular balcony as we are taking our whole family and have 3 cabins booked. I doubt we will hear from them this time but we are so thankful that we had that chance! Btw, we booked directly with NCL.

Ok, I am posting simply because I want an upsell call. It seems a couple people have written something and gotten a call just after writing it. So, upsell fairy, do your best!!!!:D

Ditto this statement. I would appreciate an upsell call. I been am booked on the Gem in a PH in January. I've been looking to upgrade but the only options left is the three bedroom villa or two bedroom. Can't afford either at the current pricing. In lieu of pricing on this cruise decreasing it has been on the increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

We were booked in an aft balcony also, and about 1-2 weeks before cruise, got the call for the deluxe owners suite! I turned it down at first, then after talking to my husband, changed my mind and called them back (sorry, did not keep the number, lol) . All I can say is, it was AMAZING! We are booked again on the Jewel on MARCH 2nd but have a regular balcony as we are taking our whole family and have 3 cabins booked. I doubt we will hear from them this time but we are so thankful that we had that chance! Btw, we booked directly with NCL.

You are soooo lucky it was still available. Whew!

How did you do that????

I watched the prices. Every time the price dropped I called and asked for an upgrade. I went from inside deck 11 to ocean view deck 5 and now balcony deck 9. Mini suites are still too expensive and I don't think they will drop far enough. Actually, my category BB balcony went right back up about $250 shortly after I upgraded.

• 2 years later...

On my second NCL cruise, we received two upsell offers, and went from an an obstructed oceanview to a 2 bedroom family suite for $500 each. The initial offer was for $750 each, but my husband negotiated with the PCC because that was the same upsell offer we received for an H5 that someone took at 9am when I got through the upsell dept. at 9:01am.

The initial upsell offer was $2,000 pp for the 3 bedroom Garden Villa, and then $1,000 pp for the Deluxe Owner's Suite.