Icy Strait Point - Excursions?

Newbcruiser1

We will have an extended stop here from 10am-8am on the Millennium in early August. None of the ship's excursions really appealed to me, and I wondered what others have done while in port here? I'm open to any and all suggestions that are within a "reasonable price" (I.e. less than $200 per person).

Just to give you an idea of our other plans, we're hoping to go to Mendenhall by shuttle bus in Juneau, the White Pass train/bus in Skagway, maybe a float plane in Ketchikan to see the Misty Fjords if I can get a reservation, and a ship-run Kenai fjords cruise/wildlife centre/airport transfer in Seward.

Thanks for your help!

Since you are not whale watching in Juneau, you might want to consider a small boat vendor for whale watching in Icy Strait. I have used F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind several times and enjoyed the experience very much.

Since you are not whale watching in Juneau, you might want to consider a small boat vendor for whale watching in Icy Strait. I have used F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind several times and enjoyed the experience very much.

We have FISHES booked for our June trip.

We have FISHES booked for our June trip.

Have a great time! We are booked on a B2B cruise in June and will be going with Glacier Wind one week and F.I.S.H.E.S. the next. Both Floyd (F.I.S.H.E.S.) and Shawn (Glacier Wind) are great captains and will do everything they can to ensure their clients have a great experience.

Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions! I assumed we would see whales in Seward on the Kenai Fjords tour but it sounds like whale-watching is our best bet in Icy Strait Point as well! For those that did tours with multiple private operators, would you recommend one over the other?

Did anyone have trouble with sea-sickness onboard the small boats? I'm generally okay (thanks to Bonine!) but did an excursion last year to Stingray City in Grand Cayman and the water was extremely rough (to the point that they cancelled the excursions that followed mine) and I wasn't feeling so hot. How do the seas in ISP compare?

Thanks again!

You are prime for bear watching, and whale watching tours are superb out of Hoonah. I highly recommend TECKK outfitters.

You are making some wrong assumptions on your Kenai Fjords boat tour. What exact tour are you taking? And for how long. IF a cruiseline package, what are the details.

But NO, you don't necessarily see whales on these tours- you may. The wildlife is varied with this being a route tour, unlike a whale watch which isn't. I will state, it's about a 50% chance of seeing whales on these tours, which, consistently has been my stats. I went out on 4 successive days last year, saw orcas twice, humpbacks once. I've been touring here over 15 years.

I'm surprised you are asking about motion sickness? Frankly a Kenai Fjords tour has great potential if prone. I see sick passengers EVERY trip, various degrees of not feeling well, with several trips having the staff with black bags and gloves on. Absolutely consult a health care professional for advice for YOU. They are the only ones who have the knowledge with your medical history, unlike message board "recommendations". :)

I have gone out on boat tours many times in Grand Cayman (3 last year)- Kenai Fjords and crossing the gulf can be a lot worse..

Edited by Budget Queen

We have taken about 6 Kenai Fjords National Park tours out of Seward and have only seen whales twice --- Orcas.

Even though we have gone with multiple small boat whale watching vendors (F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind) I wouldn't say that we prefer one more than the other.

With regard to rough seas with a small boat vendor --- take sea sick precautions just to be on the safe side. Not all, but a couple of our whale watching tours have been on choppy waters. I had taken sea sickness precautions and was just fine. If you are really concerned about the small boat then perhaps you should take the larger boat experiences --- not as close up and personal as the smaller boat, but maybe more stability on the water????

If you are really concerned about the small boat then perhaps you should take the larger boat experiences --- not as close up and personal as the smaller boat, but maybe more stability on the water????

I do not agree with your "close up" point. The larger whale watch boats can get just as close as any of the small 6 packs. They ALL have "on the water" viewing and the distance is standard for all whale watching. I can be right on the water with my viewing no matter who I go with. The difference is the numbers of people, and certainly, space can be "cheek to cheek" with some camping out maybe necessary. But the "close" is not entirely accurate.

I've seen Allen Marine boats many times out of Juneau, who has some of the largest boats doing the tours, and they are right on the whales just like everyone else. Equal chance of whales going nearer the boats. The distance to the water is a couple feet difference, and actually has better viewing, in my opinion, than being level with the water. Since I'm thrilled with seeing underwater activity. (especially with my Atlantic watching) having upper viewing is my priority.

The viewing differences are with huge cruise ships, the lowest viewing being 5 flights up. :)

Thanks once again for the advice! I'm posting from my phone and don't have the exact excursion description for the Kenai Fjords tour at hand, but it's a 12.5 hour tour that includes a 55 mile boat ride that's approximately 4.5 hours long and includes a lunch buffet. Good to know that whales won't be extremely likely on that one. For those that have been on these tours (from the pictures I've seen, the boats appear quite large, particularly those that include the lunch) - any thoughts on the weather/rockiness factor? I did read one negative review on Celebrity's website that it was extremely windy and people were sick, but the remainder were all glowing reviews.

By the sounds of it, ISP's seas are generally calmer than the area around the Kenai Fjords? And I assume a catamaran will be more stable than a single-hull boat? I did see photos of the larger boat tours and the crowds on them were a major turn-off for me. I think that alone would make me sick! :P

In terms of sea-sickness treatment, I'm a health care professional myself so I'm not seeking advice here on that component! :)

We went whale watching in ISP 11 years ago--when the port first opened to cruise ships. At that time, there was no availability of private providers--all tours were through the cruise line...so we booked whale watching through Celebrity...The ship was a "large" ship with several dozen passengers. We DID see a lot of whales...but the problem wasn't in the boat getting near the whales or in finding whales, but, rather, that every time a whale was spotted on one side of the boat or the other, if it was not on the side you were on, there was no way to fight the crowd over there. An, even on the correct side of the ship, often there were so many people leaning over the rail with their cameras that it was hard to get good shots.

This June, when we are there with Millennium, we've booked a private tour on a six passenger boat with Misty Bay Lodge (they operate a six person boat as well as an 18 person boat)...

Just putting in my 2 cents: Misty Bay Lodge has a better boat because of the overhang in the back of the boat in case of rain, you won't get soaked. ( you know it is most likely going to rain) They keep in touch with all the other small boat operators. There is a bathroom and a nicely heated cabin. Hot and cold drinks and homemade cookies. Afterwards they bring you back to there lodge where we had amazing Fish chowder. We had time to walk around town before they bring you back to the ship. Captain Dan and Hope are really great.

It's an amazing tour!

We will be stopping here from 3pm - 10pm on Celebrity in June. We don't do excursions, so we are trying to find out what the best options are for do-it-yourself touring. Any good places to eat or wander around?

Michael

We will be stopping here from 3pm - 10pm on Celebrity in June. We don't do excursions, so we are trying to find out what the best options are for do-it-yourself touring. Any good places to eat or wander around?

Michael

Wow, Alaska and no excursions. Something for everyone indeed. :)

There is a Cannery museum, and a short loop trail.

You can walk the mile into Hoonah, you will be passing The Office, which is raved about for Dungeness Crab. Keep walking and there is a "food truck" type eatery with great local food.

Wow, Alaska and no excursions. Something for everyone indeed. :)

There is a Cannery museum, and a short loop trail.

You can walk the mile into Hoonah, you will be passing The Office, which is raved about for Dungeness Crab. Keep walking and there is a "food truck" type eatery with great local food.

Thanks for the suggestions! We will walk into Hoonah then.

We have been to Alaska many times and done all of the whale watching, dog sledding, zip lining, helicopter tours, float plane tours, etc. This time we just want to wander the towns, but primarily enjoy the views from our balcony :D

Michael