Flight delay

No personal experience - our 10 hour delay for which I still had proof was just outside the claim period! :(

I can't get the link to copy on this device but if you Google 'Flight delay compensation' and pick up the Martin Lewis Money-Saving expert site, he has some good advice on there (updated 30th August this year so should be current.) Hope that is helpful and that you get some compensation which you can put in the 'next cruise' fund! ;)

Yes thanks for that it was over 3 hrs delay on take off due to engine failure, we did have Thomson's TOP engineer + one on board don't know what they could have done at that altitude:rolleyes: it was the quickest return flight from Dubrovnik we have ever had just two hours, so the return delay was just under.the 3 hrs.

Friends of ours have been delayed just over six hours on two flights, one outward and one inward.

They were happy to take the 400 Euros (or thereabouts) compensation each time though.

In these scenarios I have heard that Thomsons did (or will ?) try to squirm out of claims by demanding boarding passes - but have also read that such a tactic won't work, probably because appropriate records are accessible.

Anybody know more ? :confused:

It was a local man named Donald Cowan who took on Ryanair and won the test case which became a watershed decision in favour of delayed passengers.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13201569.Sheriff_tells_Ryanair__never_mind_flap_asymmetry__you_need_to_compensate_delayed_Scots_tourist_after_two_year_battle/

Nice one !!! :)

Edited by WeeCountyMan
link added

We were delayed a number of hours from Corfu 2 years ago and all passengers were given a letter from Thomson confirming the number of hours delay There is a form on their website which we completed and sent by recorded delivery with a copy of our boarding and cruise confirmation papers Compensation is paid on short haul, middle haul and long haul as far as I can remember (increasing to long haul) per hour delayed Engine problems which obviously cannot be helped still count for compensation Ours was a broken rudder and the pilot refused to fly as it is essential for take off and landing until it was repaired.

Thomson paid out very quickly even though it was at least three months after the event that we claimed. Good luck

Hi Pensioncruiser

Just checked and it was just over 19 hours we received approx. £450 compensation (2 passengers) We claimed after an EU ruling was announced and saw it in my daily paper. Try googling for the ruling but I'm sure you can claim for 3 hours. Did you get a letter from Thomson confirming the delay?

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 West Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream April2017 Atlantic Daydream

We were delayed 9 hours from Corfu in June. Claimed using the form on Thomsons website (via a link on Martin Lewis's website) shortly after we returned home. Apart from an automated email reply we have heard nothing. On the website it says not to complete the form again as they will be dealt with in the order they were received.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No letter or explanation from Thomson at the airport just 7 euros for food and drinks. Captain explained when on board, we had Don McLane on board with us (he was the comedy act) who tried to get us free drinks which failed. I will wait the time given by Thomson and if no luck will contact the various agents who have been contacting us, they must follow all the delayed flights:rolleyes:

Don't know what's happening with Thomson's but the flight we had a three hour delay on last Thursday, TOM 7411, looks like being four hours late today, feel sorry for the passengers who had the delay going out and are faced with this today:( if its the same aircraft perhaps its the other engine that's failed:rolleyes:

under three hours late arriving back , forget it

putting the handle down and burning some extra fuel would be cheaper than the possible compo claims

Perhaps I've misread this - but as far as I know compensation is not based on the aggregated time delay over both legs of a roundtrip flight - each is separate.

So if PC was over 3 hours late on the outward leg she is entitled to the appropriate level of compensation, regardless of the time taken homeward bound.

I had a quick browse through the conditions for claiming - it seems that flights must depart and/or arrive in the EU, as it is a European Union ruling.

Presumably when the UK is cut adrift of the EU it'll be back to old ways, if your flight is seriously delayed - tough luck ?

Edited by WeeCountyMan
Extra information