Down to two cruises..please help me pick!

SalsaFresca

I'm taking a mom-and-son (he's 7) cruise during the end of August to Alaska. We have only one particular week available to go, so I've narrowed down the cruises to two, but I can't decide. Here are the only differences between the two:

Cruise 1 (HAL Oosterdam) - visits Sitka and Hubbard Glacier

Cruise 2 (Norwegian Pearl) - visits Skagway and Glacier Bay

I've read to choose Sitka over Skagway but Glacier Bay over Hubbard -- which is why I'm asking now because I can't have both!

Things to consider:

a. If Cruise 1 can't reach Hubbard, will it go through Glacier Bay instead, or what is the "consolation prize," if anything?

b. My son is young. I've researched the two but am not figuring out which ship is better for his entertainment. Same for ports. (Although, he's pretty well traveled and enjoys some of the excursions that adults typically do.)

Thoughts, please?

I don't know what, if anything, will replace Hubbard, but I would bet a lot of money it won't be Glacier Bay. The National Park Service restricts the number of permits to go into Glacier Bay and if HAL had one for that cruise, they most likely wouldn't be trying for Hubbard.

Instead of starting with an available week as you did, I started by looking for cruises that included Glacier Bay because pretty much everything I read said it was a must-do. I found a video highlighting each of the towns along the Inside Passage, including Sitka, and it sounded like a nice town to visit if you are interested in its Russian heritage, but my primary interest in Alaska's natural beauty. Since 7 is kind of young to be able to appreciate calving glaciers or traveling through multiple land types on a 10-minute tram ride, Sitka might actually be a better choice if you are trying to tailor your trip to interest your son. (Not that that is bad, it just looks to me like your choice is between what would suit you best and what would suit your son best.)

As far as the ships, look for VegasChic's Pearl review. She had a young daughter so she has a lot to say about the Pearl's Splash Academy that might interest you. I can't remember if it's under Alaska or Norwegian Cruise Lines, but I think it is here.

Whatever you decide, you will most likely have a wonderful cruise!

If you miss Hubbard, you will miss your glacier day. There is no substitute.

Glacier Bay is restricted to 2 ships per day and are already pre-arranged years in advance.

NCL will be better for entertainment. HAL is not known for their entertainment, though I had decent entertainment on my sailing with them. I would go with NCL based on itinerary.

If it were me, I would definitely pick NCL. Two primary reasons, more children onboard (HAL is usually an older passenger demographic). Also, Glacier Bay is pretty much the must see location for Alaska. Your son might enjoy the train ride in Skagway. He also might enjoy the eagles and bears in Sitka, so those two may be a toss up.

Cruised on the Pearl last summer with DW and the 6yo DD and highly recommend it. My daughter loved it all especially the Kids Club. I did a trip report that also includes pictures and the dailies including the kids club schedule. You can find the link in my signature below.

I'm taking a mom-and-son (he's 7) cruise during the end of August to Alaska. We have only one particular week available to go, so I've narrowed down the cruises to two, but I can't decide. Here are the only differences between the two:

I've read to choose Sitka over Skagway but Glacier Bay over Hubbard -- which is why I'm asking now because I can't have both!

Things to consider:

a. If Cruise 1 can't reach Hubbard, will it go through Glacier Bay instead, or what is the "consolation prize," if anything?

b. My son is young. I've researched the two but am not figuring out which ship is better for his entertainment. Same for ports. (Although, he's pretty well traveled and enjoys some of the excursions that adults typically do.)

Thoughts, please?

We are taking our first Alaska cruise this summer. I will share my thoughts based on my research. We have heard Glacier Bay is a must see. There are some really great excursions out of Skagway - and we are very excited about the excursion we have booked. I can't speak about HAL - but we have been on Norwegian with our kids for 2 cruises - and the kids clubs are fantastic.

There are again some narrow assumptions being made. Both HAL and NCL will have kids on board with excellent programs.

These 2 cruises make my point that there is no perfect cruise, and I don't find putting the single glacier day the ONLY priority which is being done.

Are the glaciers the top priority for YOU???? Have you looked at EACH possible port you are now considering and determined, how you would spend your time there? KNOW what activities you want the most?

I suggest looking at the whole picture. It's always made to seem, if "first timers" don't pick a Glacier Bay cruise, they are going to have a crappy trip and may as well stay home. Every single day can be a highlight sailing these itineraries and you can only get a small fraction in a 7 day cruise. Again- look at how you wish to spend the entire week and keep narrowing down your priorities. That should give you a better look at where your decision will be.

It's a tough choice, but you've already narrowed down to two so are doing great I think. I know your son's enjoyment is a primary concern. Is he more interested in glaciers or the ports? If glaciers, then you could google some videos of both and compare them.

If ports, then look at excursion opportunities in Sitka vs Skagway. Maybe there is something more appealing in one town or the other?

Every trip report I read with families, the kids always enjoy it no matter the ship or glaciers or ports of call. Another thing is to look on the cruise line boards. Some people post their trip reports there instead of the Alaska boards.

Things to consider:

a. If Cruise 1 can't reach Hubbard, will it go through Glacier Bay instead, or what is the "consolation prize," if anything? NO

Thoughts, please?

I hear ya on having a hard time choosing. I always say choose a cruise that includes Glacier Bay, so I will stick with that. (But I PERSONALLY prefer the HAL experience, especially in Alaska.) We really enjoyed driving into the Yukon - via Skagway... Meanwhile, we are looking forward to Sitka. (Not that I anticipate it to be soooooo much better that Skagway - for our needs.)

My first AK cruise included my 4.5 year old son on HAL & our next one will also be on HAL when my son is 8.5. He has loved all of the cruise camps that he has attended & is able to entertain himself, so we don't need a lot of bells and whistles on a ship.

I would go with the Norwegian Pearl. It has a fantastic children's program. Your son will have a fantastic time with kids his own age. Holland America is a more "adult" experience. I would go with the better ship rather than the better itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We chose the Ruby Princess. I know it's not a choice of yours, but our methodology in choosing was similar. First and foremost, we wanted to see Glacier Bay. We are a group of 6 adults from age 25-75, my parents and children. We did not want to miss glaciers. I know there's a possibility of missing either Hubbard or Tracy Arm, so choosing Glacier Bay significantly limited our number of ships. Choosing to go RT out of Seattle limited it further. The next choice we made was Sitka or Skagway. Even though lots of stuff says Sitka is great, I felt we'd prefer the train, the Yukon, and Emerald Lake. After more research, we found another Skagway excursion some of us will do...Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. Once we chose Skagway, then we were limited to the NCL Pearl or the Ruby Princess. We ended up with Princess because of a promotion they were running at the time, but I think we would be happy on either ship.

Even though everyone says HAL is fine for kids in Alaska, I'd still probably pick the Pear because I chose Skagway over Sitka. I think for you it comes down to which one of those places have the excursions you want, if you want Glacier Bay. I think both ships would be fine for kids.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you made a good choice. Alaska is so awesome you'd have a good time on any ship.

We are going again in April 2018 on the Norwegian Sun. Smaller ship, 9 days instead of 7, and a little cheaper than the Pearl. I'm bringing a group so we will a lot of free perks.

Have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Things to consider:

Thoughts, please?

Everyone has an opinion. You asked; here's mine: ;p

Reading some of the other people's opinions and from my own limited experience (10-days on the Pearl last year) I would choose the Pearl cruise with Glacier Bay. (I *LOVED* Sitka though...) Glacier Bay was pretty spectacular - we had absolutely perfect weather so I am biased. Your son will probably enjoy the kid things that the Pearl will offer and, for you, get yourself a spa pass - while your son is having a great time with the other kids you can go spend some time alone in the spa. We had the spa passes and I wouldn't be on the Pearl without one - we had a mini-suite just one deck below the spa and right near the forward elevator & stairway lobby so a trip to the spa was about two minutes door-to-door.

Have fun! :)

I would choose Skagway over Sitka for a 7-year old. I took my kids to both places when they were about that age. They liked the train and the Old West buildings in Skagway. The submarine tour in Sitka might be fun for a 7-year old though. I would definitely opt for Glacier Bay over Hubbard. The rangers visit the kids club and the scenery is amazing.