Earliest you can disembark in Southampton off the Jade

CH_ca

Not sure what the procedures on disembarkation in Southampton would be like. The ship docks at 8am. Including clearing custom, and walking off the ship carrying your own luggage, when is the earliest you can walk off the ship? That's assuming regular line up and you have no problem clearing custom. Thanks!

You will probably be better asking on the port of call boards as NCL has only rarely used Southampton in the recent past so we don't have any experience with NCL ships.

Having said that, if docking time is 8am then the ship should actually arrive before that and customs shouldn't be a big problem. I would expect disembarkation to start around then.

I was on the Escape when it arrived on Southampton from Hamburg and from memory disembarkation started very soon after we arrived, at about the stated time.

You will probably be better asking on the port of call boards as NCL has only rarely used Southampton in the recent past so we don't have any experience with NCL ships.

Having said that, if docking time is 8am then the ship should actually arrive before that and customs shouldn't be a big problem. I would expect disembarkation to start around then.

I was on the Escape when it arrived on Southampton from Hamburg and from memory disembarkation started very soon after we arrived, at about the stated time.

Thanks KeithJenner! I just want to see what time should I order the pick up taxi since I wish to go to the airport at the earliest possible. In my past cruises, clearing customs was never a problem. Just never tried UK's.

Not sure what the procedures on disembarkation in Southampton would be like. The ship docks at 8am. Including clearing custom, and walking off the ship carrying your own luggage, when is the earliest you can walk off the ship? That's assuming regular line up and you have no problem clearing custom. Thanks!

Southampton has it down for the clearing customs process. I have found they are quite efficient. Have a wonderful journey!

Are taxis available at the dock or do you have to order one in advance?

Again, you will probably be better asking this on the ports of call board as NCL haven't been there much.

I'd be surprised if taxis weren't there, but we have never used them in Southampton, so I can't say for sure.

We were last at Southampton port in 2015 arriving on Royal Princess. We had friends to visit in Southampton so walked off ship and taxis were right outside. Remember well because we took one.

Pre-cruise we took a bus from Heathrow that included a stop at Stonehenge. We flew in day before. They picked us up at our hotel, stopped at Stonehenge for little over an hour and then on to the port in plenty of time. I can't remember the bus company name but found them through the LondonToolKit site. I think they have the same type of packages from Southampton back to London. I think it may be same company mentioned above.

We will be disembarking there in August on NCL Jade and plan to use same company to get back to London.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
We were last at Southampton port in 2015 arriving on Royal Princess. We had friends to visit in Southampton so walked off ship and taxis were right outside. Remember well because we took one.

Pre-cruise we took a bus from Heathrow that included a stop at Stonehenge. We flew in day before. They picked us up at our hotel, stopped at Stonehenge for little over an hour and then on to the port in plenty of time. I can't remember the bus company name but found them through the LondonToolKit site. I think they have the same type of packages from Southampton back to London. I think it may be same company mentioned above.

We will be disembarking there in August on NCL Jade and plan to use same company to get back to London.

Hope this helps.

Wondering if we may get some help. Similar issues.

We are holding on a package that includes flights from Australia to Heathrow and a cruise on NCL Jade from Southampton.

The crazy thing is that the ship berths at 8.00am (on a Sunday) and we are booked to fly out of Heathrow at 11.25am. Someone has screwed up but they want another $500 to change the flight. The private shuttles all offer transfers to Heathrow in 75-85 minutes so that is doable, especially on a Sunday.

The Cruise is Norway, Shetlands, Iceland and back to UK.

Does anyone have experience with NCL and or Southampton to comment on these questions.

Would we have to do Customs after that cruise?

If we berth at 8.00am, how soon could we walk off taking all our bags?

Is it doable?

We would have maybe an hour and a quarter at Heathrow T2 which is fairly automated (kiosk check in, stick the bags on the conveyor yourself etc).

Thanks

Trev

Wondering if we may get some help. Similar issues.

We are holding on a package that includes flights from Australia to Heathrow and a cruise on NCL Jade from Southampton.

The crazy thing is that the ship berths at 8.00am (on a Sunday) and we are booked to fly out of Heathrow at 11.25am. Someone has screwed up but they want another $500 to change the flight. The private shuttles all offer transfers to Heathrow in 75-85 minutes so that is doable, especially on a Sunday.

The Cruise is Norway, Shetlands, Iceland and back to UK.

Does anyone have experience with NCL and or Southampton to comment on these questions.

Would we have to do Customs after that cruise?

If we berth at 8.00am, how soon could we walk off taking all our bags?

Is it doable?

We would have maybe an hour and a quarter at Heathrow T2 which is fairly automated (kiosk check in, stick the bags on the conveyor yourself etc).

Thanks

Trev

Keeping in mind what was said earlier about NCL being new to using Southampton regularly, I don't see any reason why disembarkation shouldn't be fairly painless.

With an arrival time of 8am, walk off disembarkation should start by about 8.30 and as long as you are ready nice and early then you should be able to get off pretty quick.

I don't see any reason why there would be any hold ups at the port. You should just walk through.

As it is a Sunday, the traffic should be fairy quiet. I don't see any reason why a taxi or private shuttle shouldn't get you to Heathrow by about 10am.

Your biggest problem is lack of room for any problems. You should be OK, but you don't have any time for delays.

It wounds like you are on the same sailing as we are, by the way. Should be fun.

In my opinion you would not have enough time. Even if you are off the ship by 9:00am after customs and grabbing your luggage you still need to make the journey and in my experience that road always has some level of traffic even at slow times. The security at Heathrow can also take a good 30 minutes although we have done it in 15mins in off peak times. I would check and see if the cost to rebook if you miss your flight is the same as prebooking a later flight, that way if you make it you make it if you don't you have an idea of the difference.

In my opinion you would not have enough time. Even if you are off the ship by 9:00am after customs and grabbing your luggage you still need to make the journey and in my experience that road always has some level of traffic even at slow times.

I honestly don't see why they should be anything like as late as 9am.

Walk off with their own luggage, so no need to collect it. Customs shouldn't be a problem (unless there are any issues with Southampton that I'm unaware of).

I suppose the biggest problem would be the relatively late arrival time, which means it will likely be busier for those wanting to leave early than for ships that arrive at 6-7 am. My guess is that we will arrive earlier than that.

By 9am, NCL will be starting to chase people off the ship.

It will certainly be tight, with little room for delays, and they need to consider what the consequences of missing the flight would be, but there is certainly enough time if things go ok.

To be honest I have never docked in Southhampton, we usually do Caribbean and I also haven't cruised NCL in years but I have never gotten through customs in less than an hour even when we have carried our bags off. I am also a planner and don't like to arrive at Heathrow less than three hours before my flight just in case lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

To be honest I have never docked in Southhampton, we usually do Caribbean and I also haven't cruised NCL in years but I have never gotten through customs in less than an hour even when we have carried our bags off. I am also a planner and don't like to arrive at Heathrow less than three hours before my flight just in case lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

It is a lot different in Europe. I've disembarked in European ports many times and have never been held up for even a second in customs.

In the US, it has taken ages.

I do agree to an extent about the airport. I certainly wouldn't want to be that tight, but it is certainly doable as long as they get there about 10am. No time for delays, but they should be ok, in my opinion.

I lived for most of my life between Southampton and Heathrow, and unless there are roadworks, it will be an easy drive on a Sunday morning, until they get close to Heathrow, where it may get a bit busier. For most of the drive the motorway will be very clear. Any other day of the week, I wouldn't even try it.

British Customs Officials will board ship at one of the European ports and will stamp your passport while you are at sea on the ship. Once you arrive in Southampton you are already cleared.

British Customs Officials will board ship at one of the European ports and will stamp your passport while you are at sea on the ship. Once you arrive in Southampton you are already cleared.

We are talking about round trip cruises that originated in Southampton as well. I assume that the procedure you are referring to is for repositioning cruises.

Yep...I was think transatlantic.

You are absolutely correct though. Southampton seem to have this one fairly organised (or the immigration staff just like to have a trip out). They even boarded the Escape in Hamburg when it travelled to Southampton.

I'm not sure about the OPs exact itinerary, but on the the second itinerary we are discussing here, the final 4 ports that we visit before returning to Southampton are all in the U.K., so immigration or customs issues would appear to be fairly irrelevant anyway.

Thanks all

Someone finally saw sense and we are now flying out in the evening at no extra cost to us.

Might see you on board Keith

Trev

A wise decision, as you had no "wriggle" room in the original plan. NCL allow you to linger on the ship until a reasonable time, with an 8am arrival you should be able to have a leisurely stay on board until as late as 10am although out of cabin by 8.30ish.

Enjoy your cruise!