Airline/luggage question.

Mattsdad94

Hey, we haven't flown in a few years now, been RVing it since the kids were small..now that they are grown we are starting to travel more...

We are flying delta to the west coast to board a ship for our cruise..on deltas website it says 1st bag $25, 2nd bag $40.. It that $40 extra or $40 total for both bags? Can we each have a bag for $25? This has really changed since we last flew.. Ok say I take the garment bag and she takes the suitcase, is that $25 each? They do not make this very clear on their website and I couldn't find a customer service number to call..

What if my bag is a lb or 2 over weight, is that going to cost me $100??

Hope I don't sound stupid, it's just been a long time and we don't want to have any surprise charges when we get to the airport..

Thanks for any help..

If you bring 2 bags, it would be $50 ($25 x 2). The garment bag counts as a bag.

If you bring 3 bags, it would be $90 ($25 x 2 + $40).

They weigh all bags, so don't go over (even by 1lb) or you'll have to pay the overweight charge, or try to redistribute weight from one bag to another at the airport!

We usually weigh the bags before we leave home. Remember to factor in if you're going to be coming home with more than you brought (souvenirs).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the total for both bags is $65, $25 (1st bag) +$40 (2nd bag). The best travel invested I made was a travel scale. It which goes with me on vacation or when I travel. For something that cost less than $10-$20, it can save a hundred or more on baggage fees.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked.html

Heres the information on overweight bags:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/excess.html

Edited by sjcruiser

Be very careful on the overweight fees. Many times it is cheaper to use/pay for a second bag.

When weighed at the airport make sure the scale is set to zero.

It's per person. So the first person's first checked bag is 25.00. The first person's second checked bag is 40.00. If each of you brings one, then it's 25.00 per bag. That's each way.

If you get a delta credit card, the first checked bag is free per person. There is an annual fee though and you have to make sure it's the right financial decision for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The above info is mostly correct. I fly a lot.

The first bag per ticketed passenger is $25 dollars.

The second bag per ticketed passenger is $40.

Do not go over the allowed weight.

If you are a little over weight, you can rearrange at the airport but it is not nice, so just avoid it.

Also know, those fees are both ways.

We flew Delta in May. They are very strict on weight. My bag was under 50lbs, and my wifes was just over 50lbs. Both were under 100lb together.. We had to transfer some of her things my bag. They will not combine weights.

Hi,

You can also apply for the Delta Amex credit card and then get a bag for free. The card won't cost anything for 1 year and it gets you early boarding in addition to the free bag. Also you can earn points (and get a bunch just for getting the card). The points won't ever expire even if you cancel the card .

Hi,

You can also apply for the Delta Amex credit card and then get a bag for free. The card won't cost anything for 1 year and it gets you early boarding in addition to the free bag. Also you can earn points (and get a bunch just for getting the card). The points won't ever expire even if you cancel the card .

Actually, all the first bags on linked tickets are free. They probably booked 2 tickets at the same time, so each would get a free bag with the credit card.

The other thing that has likely changed since you last flied is the definition of carry own has expanded to include these small roll aboard suitcases that in years past most people would check. That is considered your carry on baggage.

You are also permitted a personal item in addition to your carry on, which in years past is what most people would have considered a carry on.

You can actually fit quite a lot in all of that "carry on baggage".

Since they now charge for checked baggage (domestic US flights and Canada to US flights), passengers now maximize their carry on. Party way through boarding the run out of bin space and then start to check baggage for free.