What matters most?

editor@cruisecritic

I'd prefer the following features and amenities to be included in cruise fares  

109 members have voted

1. 1. I'd prefer the following features and amenities to be included in cruise fares

• Cocktails
    • Shore excursions
    • Medical care
    • Laundry
    • Non alcoholic beverages (coffee, soda, bottled water)
    • Wi-Fi
    • Luggage delivery
    • Specialty restaurants
    • Gratuities
    • Pre- and post-cruise hotel
    • Airfare
    • Other (please comment below)

Hi, question for you: When you're searching around for a luxury cruise, which of the following features and amenities would you most like to see included in cruise fares?

Please vote in our poll and as always feel free to chime in below! Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Many of the things listed are already included in luxury cruising -- but not on luxury lite ships like Oceania and Azamara. I voted for laundry but realize that this is a benefit that should be used sparingly or it could take a week to get your clothes back.

As many know, Regent is the only luxury line with all-inclusive excursions (well, many of them are included -- others have a charge). IMO, they are not able to accommodate the number of passengers that want to be on the excursions because they are "free". They add extra buses and you have 7 or 8 busloads of passengers going to the same place at almost the same time.

IMO, cruise lines need to think really hard (and do a lot of research) before adding an item to the all-inclusive list.

Travelcat2 -- is there anything that cruise lines are including (either on the list or not) that you think really doesn't add value to a luxury experience?

Thanks for the insights....

Carolyn

Many of the things listed are already included in luxury cruising -- but not on luxury lite ships like Oceania and Azamara. I voted for laundry but realize that this is a benefit that should be used sparingly or it could take a week to get your clothes back.

As many know, Regent is the only luxury line with all-inclusive excursions (well, many of them are included -- others have a charge). IMO, they are not able to accommodate the number of passengers that want to be on the excursions because they are "free". They add extra buses and you have 7 or 8 busloads of passengers going to the same place at almost the same time.

IMO, cruise lines need to think really hard (and do a lot of research) before adding an item to the all-inclusive list.

Agree with orchestrapal. Included excursions is not luxury and takes away from the luxury experience. If excursions were offered at "cost", this would be a lovely benefit.

IMO, the "standard" inclusions on luxury cruise lines work well. Included alcohol, gratuities and specialty restaurants. Included airfare and/or hotel with an opt out option also seems to work well.

I don't think I answered the question..... luxury cruising is a subject that I have too many opinions about:)

"Low cost" (or "reasonable cost" - subjective, I know!) WiFi might make more sense than truly "free".

That way, those who need/want to *use* the WiFi would have convenient access, without exhorbitant charges, but passengers would be less likely to leave their browsers open, automatically checking for email "all the time", such as forgetting to turn it off when off the ship, or at night. That would help with the bandwidth constraints, while allowing good access when desired.

Do NOT like the "all included excursions", because that means we are really paying for them, even if/when we'd want a quiet day, an excursion on our own, or a private tour.

GeezerCouple

"Low cost" (or "reasonable cost" - subjective, I know!) WiFi might make more sense than truly "free".

That way, those who need/want to *use* the WiFi would have convenient access, without exhorbitant charges, but passengers would be less likely to leave their browsers open, automatically checking for email "all the time", such as forgetting to turn it off when off the ship, or at night. That would help with the bandwidth constraints, while allowing good access when desired.

Do NOT like the "all included excursions", because that means we are really paying for them, even if/when we'd want a quiet day, an excursion on our own, or a private tour.

GeezerCouple

Agree completely and the same goes for included liquor. Who wants to pay for the lush group when you don 't drink or only drink the not included wines....

Agree completely and the same goes for included liquor. Who wants to pay for the lush group when you don 't drink or only drink the not included wines....

I do. The amount is pretty insubstantial, IMO, and the benefits are worth it to me. Not everyone thinks the feeling of never having to sign or show an ID card is a benefit, but I value that greatly. Though I have only one luxury" cruise under my belt, friends and family who have been on more than a few say that "lushes" and drunks who drink to great excess (those who would have huge bar bill) are very few. The added cost to the line isn't great.

Agree that not having to sign or show a card is a benefit -- a huge benefit. Giving your room card gives too much information to anyone who sees it. On the one cruise we have gone on that was not inclusive, I asked the bartender what the information on the card indicated to him. His first response -- spoken in jest -- was "that you are rich" (we were in a penthouse suite). IMO, it is no one's business how many cruises you have taken (color of the card) or what level cabin/suite you are in. This can lead to passengers being treated differently - depending upon what level you are at.

On a luxury cruise, it's ALL important. If one is paying 5 star, then everything s/b 5 star....no compromises. Otherwise, why bother? Maybe there's no real "having everything" but it ought to come close, as should expectations, along with offerings on luxury. True luxury means never having to say "ugh" on holiday. Except maybe while going through airport security ;)

My signature does NOT apply to cruisecritic.com folks, though I'm part of the family; sorry for any confusion! I'm not a cc.com Host. Don't know why this sig popped up!! But do come to our sister sites should you have the need! Thanks :)

Colleen

Edited by Crcbonjour
Signature glitch!

• 1 month later...

I am definitely not interested in all-inclusive excursions. I've heard too many stories of unappealing trips. I prefer to select the excursions, or just wander the port, or even take a bus! And I've also heard stories of inclusive excursions that include an obligatory stop at a souvenir shop that is probably owned by someone's brother-in-law.