Who Regulates the Cruise Industry because..

Queen Louise

Who regulates the cruise industry? The reason I ask is as follows: We have booked a cruise to Hawaii on Carnival Miracle Nov 28th 2015. We booked a Junior Suite cabin no. 4266 because of the extended balcony and the none obstructed view plus the size of the room. I did look at the deck plan and it did show to two lines on the balcony space but as it was not marked as obstructed view, which is a category they do have, I never thought any more about it. Last weekend I looked up Cruise Critic cabin reviews to discover that the two lines are a flight of steps that the crew use. They are right in front of the window and you have to keep the curtain shut for privacy. It also consumes part of the extended balcony.

I contacted my travel agent who in turn contacted Carnival. They deny there being an obstructed view.

This cruise is not for over a year away and despite this, Carnival refuse to allow us to change cabin unless we pay more.

Either the person who wrote the review is telling lies or Carnival is telling lies:confused: I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Carnival are big on 'Customer Satisfaction' but only on their terms. I feel cheated. I have told them so.

If this is not resolved sensibly I want to write to the Cruise Industry Regulators but there does not seem to any. Am I wrong?

Just as a bonus request Does anyone have pictures of this obstructed view cabin? Perhaps I am wrong. If I am I would like to know for sure before I start what I think is going to be a case of the little people verses the big people.

Edited by Queen Louise

There's a regulator for maritime safety and so on, but not the type of regulator you're looking for.

I did a quick board search on the Carnival board, assuming you mean 4226 and not 4266 as you posted, and found this thread which may help. It even has some pics of the room :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1607588&highlight=4226+miracle

To get more replies, I'd suggest posting on the Carnival board. The thread I linked to above is a couple of years old, a recent update may be useful.

It is actually pretty well reguAted

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure that you've actually read the OP.

As I stated in my post above, the cruise industry is very well regulated from a maritime safety, environmental etc point of view but in the UK and Europe, there isn't a specific consumer regulator which is what the poster is asking for.

Instead of just posting that it's "well regulated" perhaps you can help OP by answering their question and give the details of the consumer regulator for the OP, who states their location as Scotland.

OP, please read the thread I linked to and ask your question on the Carnival board. Hopefully you'll get the answers you need.

If not, the relevant official body in your case would be ABTA, as Carnival is a member, and hopefully your TA also, but I'm not sure you'd get anywhere with this issue and getting ABTA involved is the last stage in making a complaint like this.

Edited by Ravenscroft

This is why Carnival is incorporated in Panama. I believe that the Florida Attorney General has some limited jurisdiction over things like advertising and sales in the US, but for the most part consumer protection doesn't exist as we know it in the US.

If you're unhappy with the cabin change it. Carnival has let us do this more than once. Even up to a week before sailing.

A small point that I missed when I posted before, is that the OP is from Scotland, and therefore working through Carnival UK, which I believe has totally different rules on bookings, refunds, etc, than Carnival in the US.

The stairway in question is only used in emergencies, such as during the lifeboat drill, not in a routine manner. We had the aft corner suite next to your suite many times and the stairway is not an issue. You are worrying over nothing.

That is so great you are able to reassure the OP.

Hopefully, they can start to relax and look forward to their cruise. :)

The power of CC to reach people from all over and find someone who has stood at that spot and knows 'the facts'.

Here's a link to a large photo that is too big for this forum that shows the stairway. Depending on the size of your screen, you can zoom in on the view to see it better.

http://www.goodbaduglyeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/photo.jpg

And another photo, more closeup. The stairs lead up to your deck from the deck below. There is a corridor next to your room that is accessed by the stairs. Your balcony would be between the first two partitions only - the space between the 2nd and 3rd partitions is for headroom for the stairway:

46164558-L-1.jpg

And here is a detailed engineering drawing of the floor plan in the area of your room. The drawing is missing a partition to the right of the last one shown. This is where your small balcony would be:

46164550_TQNZE-L.jpg

Edited by boogs

Either the person who wrote the review is telling lies or Carnival is telling lies

Don't be so anxious to look on the black side. Maybe the reviewer and the company see the same thing but come to different conclusions. Have you sorted out the confusion over the cabin numbers yet? Maybe it's you who's telling lies! ;):)

I'm Loosing the plot. As I write this, I am actually laugh at myself out loud and my ribs are hurting. Let me get this clear for the last time Suite 4226 Yes I'm sure 4226. If I keep getting the suite no. wrong it does not seem a very promising start to taking the cruise industry on does it (I've stopped laughing out loud now) Yes I've triple checked suite 4226

Thanks for your patience

Don't be so anxious to look on the black side. Maybe the reviewer and the company see the same thing but come to different conclusions. Have you sorted out the confusion over the cabin numbers yet? Maybe it's you who's telling lies! ;):)

No I am not a liar I am just plain old fashioned stupid;) Sorry I keep getting the numbers muddled:o I am not anxious I am annoyed. Look at the pictures of the room and you will see the curtain pulled half way across the entire room. Why? Because..... Please let the public make an informed decision.

Here's a link to a large photo that is too big for this forum that shows the stairway. Depending on the size of your screen, you can zoom in on the view to see it better.

http://www.goodbaduglyeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/photo.jpg

And another photo, more closeup. The stairs lead up to your deck from the deck below. There is a corridor next to your room that is accessed by the stairs. Your balcony would be between the first two partitions only - the space between the 2nd and 3rd partitions is for headroom for the stairway:

46164558-L-1.jpg

And here is a detailed engineering drawing of the floor plan in the area of your room. The drawing is missing a partition to the right of the last one shown. This is where your small balcony would be:

46164550_TQNZE-L.jpg

Thank you for sending these photos and information

As this shows, It is advertised as an Extended View Balcony but this does not exist because the balcony is cut off because the stair cuts right over the floor to ceiling window. The room is beautiful but it was the balcony and the non obstructed view we were buying into, or at least that is what Carnival sell it for.

There's a regulator for maritime safety and so on, but not the type of regulator you're looking for.

I did a quick board search on the Carnival board, assuming you mean 4226 and not 4266 as you posted, and found this thread which may help. It even has some pics of the room :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1607588&highlight=4226+miracle

To get more replies, I'd suggest posting on the Carnival board. The thread I linked to above is a couple of years old, a recent update may be useful.

It will be my first time posting but I will give it a try. I can perhaps redeem myself by starting afresh by giving the right suite number. I better start practicing :o4226 4226 4226 4226 yes I think I've got it:cool:

It's not clear to me how the view would be obstructed unless someone happened to be using the staircase. Since it only goes down from your deck to the one below, from your vantage point inside the cabin without a human being on it, it will simply be a hole in the deck. No obstruction of your view, save for perhaps a handrail on the very top step that you might be able to see.

If there was a staircase going up to the deck above you I would understand your consternation but from the pictures posted above that does not seem to be the case.

Super photos & drawing, Boogs. :cool:

Far clearer than any words.

Other than for sunbathing in the altogether, I don't see privacy as a big issue. I've had a stern balcony cabin facing onto an area used by crew for access & it wasn't an issue.

It's clear too that the view is unobstructed.

The issue is if it's described as having an extended balcony.

Couldn't find a deck plan on Carnival's own website, but those of a couple of UK agents don't agree with Boog's drawing or photos.

Those deck plans show part of 4226's balcony lost to the headroom for the stairs, but also show it extending partway along the side of 4228, the corner cabin, so that it's still a larger-than-average balcony. Boog's photos show that's not the case, the balcony is the same size as all those along the side of the ship.

OK, deck plans are diagrammatic and not to be trusted, and doubtless that's mentioned somewhere in the small print.

But "extended balcony" it ain't, and any such wording is mis-description.

I don't know of any industry association which handles such matters. Only SOLAS, which governs safety at sea.

If "extended balcony" is in print somewhere, it's well worth talking to the agent again in order to get some sort of redress.

But be warned that jurisdiction in cruising matters is a legal minefield. A US corporation's cruise booked in the UK, possibly thro a UK agent, on a ship registered in Bermuda or wherever. I have no idea in whose jurisdiction this lies.

But but but but but ....... it's easy but foolish to let it get through to you & cast a shadow over your anticipation of what I'm sure will be a great cruise. It's a relatively minor issue, if you want to take it further perhaps treat it as a challenging game rather than the major factor that it isn't.

Carnival's price was probably based on it being a large cabin with a standard balcony, so any recompense will be a gain rather than a mitigation of loss. :)

JB :)

Other than for sunbathing in the altogether, I don't see privacy as a big issue. I've had a stern balcony cabin facing onto an area used by crew for access & it wasn't an issue.

Couldn't find a deck plan on Carnival's own website, but those of a couple of UK agents don't agree with Boog's drawing or photos.

Those deck plans show part of 4226's balcony lost to the headroom for the stairs, but also show it extending partway along the side of 4228, the corner cabin, so that it's still a larger-than-average balcony. Boog's photos show that's not the case, the balcony is the same size as all those along the side of the ship.

OK, deck plans are diagrammatic and not to be trusted, and doubtless that's mentioned somewhere in the small print.

I don't know of any industry association which handles such matters. Only SOLAS, which governs safety at sea.

If "extended balcony" is in print somewhere, it's well worth talking to the agent again in order to get some sort of redress.

But be warned that jurisdiction in cruising matters is a legal minefield. A US corporation's cruise booked in the UK, possibly thro a UK agent, on a ship registered in Bermuda or wherever. I have no idea in whose jurisdiction this lies.

But but but but but ....... it's easy but foolish to let it get through to you & cast a shadow over your anticipation of what I'm sure will be a great cruise. It's a relatively minor issue, if you want to take it further perhaps treat it as a challenging game rather than the major factor that it isn't.

Carnival's price was probably based on it being a large cabin with a standard balcony, so any recompense will be a gain rather than a mitigation of loss. :)

Extended balcony on Carnival Spirit class ships, as the Miracle is, refers to the balcony depth, not the width or length. This cabin has the deeper depth, so it is an 'extended balcony' as far as Carnival is concerned.

"Treat it as a challenging game" yes that is a good approach.;)

But but but I think you are not looking at the right balcony because it has a crew steps at that window. On the deck plan it does show two lines on the balcony but I did not think it would be steps in front of the window. Look at the pictures of the inside of the room someone kindly posted, the curtains are closed why???? because.....it should say what is outside the window. For you privacy is clearly not an issue but for others it is and I enjoy privacy. You said it is clearly not an obstructed view but read the Cruise Critic review of people who have had the suite and they say it is not only obstructed but the window can be looked into. But but but, yes I know 'drop it' :(