Anti seasick preferences???

I like Meclizine tablets (brand name: Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine). They don't cause drowsiness or other side effects like other tablets. Some people like the transdermal patches, but they gave me terrible blurred vision, which was worse than being sea-sick. Wrist bands didn't work for me, but there's no harm in trying them.

Does anyone have a preferred "anti-seasick" method? Transdermal patches, dramamine, bracelets? We are cruising to Alaska in a few weeks and I am a little afraid that the Pacific ocean may be rougher than the Caribbean.

Bonine is my hero! If I didn't take it would never be able to last on a cruise, the slightest bit of motion and I'd suffer from sea sickness.

One pill once a day in the morning and I'm fine. The best part is, Bonine is non drowsey (for me atleast).

I've tried the bands but find that they hurt (and I have REALLY skinny wrists!) Maybe that's the idea....keeps your mind on your wrists and off the ocean! Anyway, I use ginger capsules from the health food store and also chew ginger gum which I found on line. I get VERY seasick and so far that's worked for me. I also take Bonine, just as insurance. Never tried the patch. There are a lot of options out there, and not everything works for everyone. I did a lot of experimenting until I found what works for me.

Another motion sickness sufferer here. I take a Bonnine or non-Drowsy Dramamine the night before and every night on the cruise. I also keep some of the chewables handy. Another item I keep with me are the ginger capsules and ginger candy.

I used to use the transermal patch, but it really bothered me the last time I used it and switched to the over the counter meds. I never got the hang of the bands so I can't comment on them.

Bonine! (Meclizine)

Works great for me with no side effects. Be sure to take before boarding the ship and every day-don't wait to see if you'll be sick. By then it's too late.

I had terrible side effects with the patch.

Well, this is a large topic, and some background information will really help you before we get to remedies.

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can take ginger pills (available in any drug store), eat candied ginger or ginger snaps, or drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot). This is a natural remedy obviously, but clinically proven to work. Start taking or eating it before you get on the ship, but you do not need more than a few hours' time for it to get into your system.

Some people, as noted in a previous post, swear by the seabands, others notice no effect whatsoever. Again, no medications, but not always effective.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere. They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills.

For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects up to and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. If you don't get motion sick in other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. While cruise ships do move in the seas, and rough seas can cause a lot of motion, bear in mind that they are not anything like small pleasure craft that bob and bounce along all the time. Motion on a cruise ship tends to be much, much slower and less dramatic. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine, and the initial prevention suggestions should be enough by themselves.

Does anyone have a preferred "anti-seasick" method? Transdermal patches, dramamine, bracelets? We are cruising to Alaska in a few weeks and I am a little afraid that the Pacific ocean may be rougher than the Caribbean.

In the end, what is preferred is what works best for each person.

As to the cruise itself, you may have very calm seas or some periods of rough seas but that is true of the Caribbean as well so I would not be too worried.

The sea bands clearly do not work for many people and the manufacturer states that they work for some people but not all. So, I wouldn't rely on them because you do not know what category you fall in.

We use Bonine which is very similar to Dramamine. The downside is it could make you a little drowsy and the key is to take it before you feel sick. We take it on the first day of the cruise and then if the captain says that we might encounter some rough seas we take it pro-actively. My suggestion is to try it at home to see if it bothers you.

The patch can be very effective. The major side effect is it can make your mouth feel very dry and you need to be very careful to wash you hand very good after putting it on. You will need a prescription from your physician.

Another remedy is ginger tablets.

Keith

Ginger capsules work for me, also. I begin taking one twice a day 2 days before the flight to the cruise.

Use caution when taking meclazine if you are drinking any alcohol. Some of us drink a little more (ahem) when we are on a cruise than we are accustomed to. Alcohol increases the side effects of drowsiness that some people wouldn't experience otherwise. I slept through half a cruise before I figured out what was happening!:rolleyes:

As Keith said what works differs from person to person. I'm one who gets very seasick. The possibility of getting seasick had never crossed my mind - until I had to go running from the room. I've never been carsick and love roller coasters. As noted here, some swear by meclazine. That totally knocks me out - without even a drop of alcohol. The only time I'll use that in the future is when I want to sleep on a long flight or something.

I've had limited success with either the patch or ginger capsules. While each is better than nothing, they aren't 100% effective for me in heavier seas. My M.D. suggested I use both the patch and the ginger. That combination works for me. We had over 45-ft seas on the way to Antarctica and DH was shocked that I was out and about without any problems.

Unfortunately it is trial and error. First you have to find out if you even get seasick. Then, if you do, you'll just have to see what works best for you.

Good luck.

I like Meclizine tablets (brand name: Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine). They don't cause drowsiness or other side effects like other tablets. Some people like the transdermal patches, but they gave me terrible blurred vision, which was worse than being sea-sick. Wrist bands didn't work for me, but there's no harm in trying them.

I take the Meclizine with me but have never used it. I did try the patch and the seas were calm. take something! it seems to be good insurance,

~Doris~

I used to dread cruising because of sea sickness. At dinner the bet was to see if I'd make it past the salad before I went back to the cabin. Since then I had lasik done (no more bifocal glasses) and take one 25mg Meclizine and one ginger capsule per day. Sailed around Cape Horn in February. It got a little rough. The ship lost some deck chairs, the ceiling came down over the outside pool grill and barf bags were distributed all over the ship but I had no problems.

I use 25mg Meclizine HCI (generic Bonine). If you can't find it next to the Bonine, ask the pharmacist, sometimes it's kept back there (once in Wal-Mart they said I had to have a prescription, but Kmart knew what they were doing...it's definitely an OTC medication).

Meclizine basically stops the motion sickness at the source, but it's not an instant fix (taking it the night before is good advice, though it helps me within a few hours if I wait to take it as needed). Ginger on the other hand is good for any kind of nausea...it's not stopping it at the source, but it does calm your stomach, so end result is the same.

Me, I take both with me (ginger and Meclizine). If I think I'll get seasick, I'll take Meclizine, preferably at night (while it's non-drowsy, it may make you a tad sleepy). If it sneaks up on me, I'll take a ginger pill for faster results. But if I can only take one with me, it's Meclizine.

We have just come back from an 11 day around the meditterean and we have a 21 year old daughter who has the worst case of motion sickness and guess what?She did not get sick at all and yet she was on th 24 hour flight.I just thank the Lord that she wasn't.She used travel calm on the flight but as backup,we went to our local GP before we left and they can prescribe drugs that help.I really feel for anyone that does get motion sickness.You have no idea how many meds that I took along.Good luck!!!!!

My Dr. tells me that a cream (same med on the transderm scope patch) can be formulated by your pharmacist. The cream can be rubbed into the creases of your arm and leg. Apparently this is more effective than the patch. I use the patch and it works well. But if I know we are sailing where seas are rough, I plan on trying the cream.

Alaska and the Pacific ocean are very unpredictable. The seas were so rough when I was there I had to get a shot from the ship hospital. But to be fair I was not using the patches at the time. It was one of our 1st cruises. I would definitely prepare for the worst just in case.

We have found two non medical methods that work for us. One of waiters said to try "Green Apples" which are in abundent supply on most ships. My wife prefers "Lemon/Ginger" tea which loads of ships have. No problems so fare ad we have cruised for the last 6 years.

Gary

Alaska is VERY calm waters, been there 4 times, always calm.

I'm a patch wearer and it is what works for me! When I get motion sickness and don't have the patch, meclizine is my remedy of choice.

One caution if you take coumadin or warfarin, do check with your doctor before taking ginger. There can be an interaction between those two substances.

Archived