Things to do in Anchorage Until Flight Home

cafelovercanada

I'm currently looking for things to do in Anchorage while we await a flight home which leaves Anchorage at 4:45 pm. Our Princess cruise tour ends in the morning and I was wondering what our family could to until we have to head to the Anchorage airport for a 4:45 pm flight? Thanks for any feedback you can offer!

I'm currently looking for things to do in Anchorage while we await a flight home which leaves Anchorage at 4:45 pm. Our Princess cruise tour ends in the morning and I was wondering what our family could to until we have to head to the Anchorage airport for a 4:45 pm flight? Thanks for any feedback you can offer!

http://www.anchorage.com I suggest you be at the airport at 2:45p, leaving the Egan Center around 2:30p

The museum and Native Heritage Center are both very good. They have a combo pass that you can purchase at either location for $29.95 for entry into both. There is also quite a bit to do downtown.

There are free shuttles from the Log Cabin Visitor’s Center downtown to the zoo, heritage center, Ulu Factory. There is also a trolley that departs from the log cabin that takes about an hour.

There are segway tours downtown and out by the airport at Lake Spenard. If you’re still undecided head to the log cabin. They will have suggestions.

Their website is http://www.anchorage.net

• 2 weeks later...

Our flight was at 7pm. We did the usual souvenir shops downtown Anchorage, the flea market they have every Sat., collected a pin from the HardRock restaurant. This restaurant is the only one I know that opens for breakfast, as far as Hard Rocks goes and I highly recommend Segway of downtown Anchorage. We had 5 people in our group, my husband and I and 3 kids, 23-28 years old and had a blast. We called that same day and they took us right away and took about 1 1/2 tour. Easy to walk to from our hotel, Ramada.

Jeanne

• 1 month later...
I was thinking the same question but what do you do with your luggage and are these places within walking distance?

There's a luggage storage place at the airport: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/anc/travelerInfo/passengerSrvcs.shtml . Click on the link on the right hand side.

Nothing is really within walking distance of the airport. You can take a taxi downtown, or catch the People Mover route 7a to get downtown.

If I only had a day, I would visit the Anchorage Museum, downtown, which can be reached via taxi (about $20 each way) or the #7a bus. The museum has Alaskan art, a children's science area that is fun for grown ups who like to play, Alaskan history, a Smithsonian Alaska Native area, many rotating exhibits, and much more. I feel that the quality of the exhibits in the past few years has been very good, and there has always been something interesting when I've been through town.

That said, I feel that the Alaska Native Heritage Center is the top site in Anchorage. They have a shuttle from downtown. If you like to go through sites quickly, you could do the combo pass to both, or take the shuttle out the the center, but if you prefer to take your time with cultural and historical sites, you'd have more time with just the museum.

As far as there being nothing in walking distance from the airport...for most people, there isn't. However, I did once walk to Costco while on a layover. But that was because I had a coupon that was going to expire. And it was a tight squeeze to fast-walk there and back.

One other option you could include along with the Anchorage Museum which is on 6th Ave....is across the street from the visitor center is the Federal Parks Service bled. They have free 20-30 minute films on Alaska....some are fascinating. The one on the earthquake is fantastic..and it is free. They also have a nice selection of Alaska books and some small interesting exhibits.....they also have a couple of free walks with one of the Rangers....there is also a trolley ride around town to show you a bit of the city....

collected a pin from the HardRock restaurant. This restaurant is the only one I know that opens for breakfast, as far as Hard Rocks goes

There are actually several that do this (Hard Rock Cafe open for Breakfast).

I would recommend a good restaurant before that long flight home - Glacier Brewhouse is a good one.

Edited by Coral