NOLA help

hlb76

The gulf port board is quite slow so maybe you can help?

We are looking at a OCT cruise from NOLA. We hope to fly in on Sat and cruise on Mon. I have found a bit of info on hotels there. Yet I'm always open to more suggestions.

My next is figuring out airfare. What would be a safe time to fly home after we get back? Would a 1030 flight be cutting it too close? In Miami my rule is nothing before 1230 especially when lots of ships are in port. NOLA being smaller not sure I have the same worries :confused:

Also what is the port like? Is it like Maimi with a big termial or more like San Diego where its a more wharhouse like?

Any other suggestions or hints or ideas for our family to do? I'm quite nervouos sailing from a new place but it's also thrilling.

A 1030 flight would be cutting it too close, in my opinion, unless you do self disembark.

We love New Orleans and have had great luck sailing out of there. Some folks like the port, some complain. But then again, you get folks who complain all the time about anything. Not sure why you would be nervous sailing from a new port. Trust me, you will be fine!!

The port (building) is not huge, but not small either. I have been out of Port Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale and Mobile. I think it was about the same size as Mobile, but small than the others?? LOL, guess I didn't pay attention.

Don't worry. You will have a great time!!! DH and I can't wait to sail from there again!!!

Dittos on the time issue. 10:30 is too early. I'd stick to the 12:30 rule.

We have sailed from Miami, Houston, Galveston, Seatle, Vancouver, Dover, Southhampton, Civitavicci and New Orleans. It is my opinion that New Orleans is one of the better ports - especially if you're driving (which I know you're not). There are two terminals one is primarily Carnival, the other NCL and when other lines are there, they somehow sort it out.

I would say there are 15 or so check in desks (they may not all be open, but they could be). The seating area is adequate and sometimes there will be a jazz band playing while you wait to board.

The area is set up to flow well and the staff is quite friendly.

Sailing from New Orleans is a treat for me as I was raised there and never get tired of seeing St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson square from the river.

You will then pass the Chalmette Battleground and Domino sugar mill. Later on you will pass multiple refineries, that really light up the night sky. If you're still up when you enter the gulf (takes 6-8 hours depending on river traffic and tides) you will see the oil dereks that look like Christmas trees in the gulf.

If you are booking a balcony and want to be on the French Quarter side for sail away - book a port side cabin. When you board the ship your cabin will face the west bank (non- French Quarter side), but as she sails she will turn around and you'll be on the correct side.

Enjoy!

We stayed at the Drury Inn about 1 mile from the cruise terminal and walked to the cruise ship. I am sure that they have a vehicle that will take you but it was nice weather and we didnt mind at all. The hotel was great and the price was great too. I am almost positive that it was $99. HTH.

Loved sailing out of NOLA, and getting there a day or two early. We stayed at the Iberville Suites, in the French Quarter, and very reasonable. All suites, includes breakfast, great location. There are always good deals going on if you know how to search around. Lots to do in NOLA, love that place! The cruise terminal was fine, maybe not like Miami, but very nice. Get there early, and get on board early.

Agree, 10:30 flight home might be cutting it close. The trip down (and back up) the Mississippi takes about 7 hours. I didn't think I'd enjoy that, but I did. It was great!!

Thanks for the help so far.

I will look at later flights out. We have never done the self assist and have always been off the ship early and had plenty of time for our flights. But once we made it to MIA and the place was chaos and we stood in line for hours. When we made it through security we had to rush to our gate. I have been nervous ever since.

Absolutely love the port of NOLA. I thought it was a very smooth check-in and leaving isn't bad either. Although I save a few bucks by parking elsewhere, their onsite parking is literally right at the terminal. The porters will meet you on the first level then you go park. You could throw a rock and hit the ship from their parking deck.

Hotels can be tricky, I find NOLA to be on the expensive side, but you can luck out sometimes.

I wish there was a way the schedule would allow you to see the river for the whole trip out (or in). It's a very unique experience to meander down the Mississippi and see the little towns, lights, and boats. But I would like to see the mouth of the river.

Oh, I agree that 10:30 might be a little tight for catching a flight.

I found a southwest flight at 1145 so maybe we will shoot for that even though it might still be cutting it short. But I think I am willing to try to save the cost of the flights later in the day. If all else fails we pay the extra at the airport :eek:.

Now to get booked on the cruise so I can move forward w/ air and hotel.

Man I wish I could find a $99 deal. I think the Drury is catching my eye.. the free hot breakfast and happy hour w/ snacks is calling to me. But I have lots more looking to do. I just dont know where we want to be located. We more than likely wont have a car so need to be in walking distance or trolly (if easy to use) or cabs. I'm nervous about cabs though seems they are more pp rates vs your normal cab fare. With 5 in our family that could add up fast.

HLB~ We are 5 also and it is really had to figure out transportaion. Looks like it is $14 pp cab from the airport. Not sure about to the port. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza and I know I read where people walk to the pier but with our luggage not sure I want to be all sweaty when I get there! I think it is almost a mile. Hopefully the cab is not as much as coming from the airport. I don't think 11:45 is that much of a problem I have read people are off the ship by 7:30 and home a few hours later. We are also flying SWA and I could not get a flight before 3:45 but am still checking everyday! We are using free tickets and 2 of them are the old standard rewards so seats are limited.

We have sailed from Miami, Houston, Galveston, Seatle, Vancouver, Dover, Southhampton, Civitavicci and New Orleans. It is my opinion that New Orleans is one of the better ports - especially if you're driving (which I know you're not). There are two terminals one is primarily Carnival, the other NCL and when other lines are there, they somehow sort it out.

I would say there are 15 or so check in desks (they may not all be open, but they could be). The seating area is adequate and sometimes there will be a jazz band playing while you wait to board.

The area is set up to flow well and the staff is quite friendly.

Sailing from New Orleans is a treat for me as I was raised there and never get tired of seeing St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson square from the river.

You will then pass the Chalmette Battleground and Domino sugar mill. Later on you will pass multiple refineries, that really light up the night sky. If you're still up when you enter the gulf (takes 6-8 hours depending on river traffic and tides) you will see the oil dereks that look like Christmas trees in the gulf.

If you are booking a balcony and want to be on the French Quarter side for sail away - book a port side cabin. When you board the ship your cabin will face the west bank (non- French Quarter side), but as she sails she will turn around and you'll be on the correct side.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the details. We are looking forward to coming out of a new port.

We stayed at the Drury Inn about 1 mile from the cruise terminal and walked to the cruise ship. I am sure that they have a vehicle that will take you but it was nice weather and we didnt mind at all. The hotel was great and the price was great too. I am almost positive that it was $99. HTH.

We are staying here in September. The rates are great during that time. We managed to get our stay for I think it was $86. You can't beat that deal plus all the free food and the drinks for both the evening and the breakfast. It will save a lot of money.

I found a southwest flight at 1145 so maybe we will shoot for that even though it might still be cutting it short. But I think I am willing to try to save the cost of the flights later in the day. If all else fails we pay the extra at the airport :eek:.

Man I wish I could find a $99 deal. I think the Drury is catching my eye.. the free hot breakfast and happy hour w/ snacks is calling to me. But I have lots more looking to do. I just dont know where we want to be located. We more than likely wont have a car so need to be in walking distance or trolly (if easy to use) or cabs. I'm nervous about cabs though seems they are more pp rates vs your normal cab fare. With 5 in our family that could add up fast.

When are you planning on going? I know the rates at Drury (and most) go up in October I believe. If you sail before that, there is a code you can use to get a great deal.

Just wondering....when I first read this thread and you said that you were worried about the port, I thought you were talking about the air port. Or were you talking about the ship port? Did I read that wrong?

I think 11:45 will be fine. We are usually off the ship before 8 a.m., but you never know, so I think your new flight time is less stressful (and who needs stress at the end of a cruise).

The trolley is easy to use. There is the real street car that runs down St. Charles Avenue - a wonderful way to see uptown (Garden and University district) and save your feet. The newer trolley runs along the river between the French Quarter and the pier.

Enjoy NOLA and be sure to have some cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe DuMonde's.

We've done this cruise on Spirit a few times now and I've found that being one of the first off the ship has been anywhere between 7:45 am and 11 am. It all depends on a lot of factors so you can never be sure. I believe NCL says don't book anything earlier than 1230 flight? I would go for a much later flight and use the time in NO if you arrive earlier. Never fun to miss your flight:mad:

One other thing that never seems to get mentioned. If it is a fall/winter cruise, check for football schedules. We have found that if the Saints have a home game, our hotel rates go way up!! We stay in one of the two Marriotts and if there is no game, we get a room for $89, if a home game it goes up to over $300 and that is with booking a year ahead.

You will be just fine with 11:45. It will take 35 minutes from the port to the airport even if the Saints are playing at home.:D

• 5 months later...

I am on the first sailing of RCL's Voyager from Nola. I live in the NO area and have only cruised from here one time quite a few years ago. Can't remember much about the terminal itself, so I was wondering if some of the experienced Nola cruisers here could help me.

What time should I get to the port? Cruise docs say 1:30. This seems late to me as we always get to the Miami port for 11:00.

Is there a waiting area prior to check in are do you wait outside if there are not ready?

If we have to wait after checking in to get on the ship is there a large waiting area as Miami has?

Thanks for any help..

Archived