First time flying into FLL cruising out of POM

huntm

We will be cruising out of Miami, but it looks like it is cheaper to fly into FLL and the hotels are cheaper to stay in FLL rather than Miami.

We are looking for a nice, reasonable hotel on the beach in FLL to spend the night prior to our cruise. Are there any hotels on the beach that offer a shuttle service to POM?

If you look down the board there are many threads on this topic.

As FLL is 40 minutes or so from the port, there are no free rides to the port. A few hotels will give you a package with shuttle to POM, but it isn't free. Embassy Suites is one.

By the way, "reasonable" and beach don't usually appear in the same sentence, but we don't know what you consider reasonable.

You can arrange a shuttle on your own for less, in most cases. $15-20 pp.

Edited by CruiserBruce

www.sunny.org has lots of tourist and lodging info on the FLL area - start doing homework there.

When do you cruise? What is your budget? How many in your party? :confused:

Arrange your own transportation - Go Airport, SAS, QLS and other shared shuttle services are discussed here every day. Most list the hotels they will pick up at on their web sites, saving you a trip back to FLL just to catch your shuttle.

Have a good cruise! :)

www.sunny.org has lots of tourist and lodging info on the FLL area - start doing homework there.

When do you cruise? What is your budget? How many in your party? :confused:

Arrange your own transportation - Go Airport, SAS, QLS and other shared shuttle services are discussed here every day. Most list the hotels they will pick up at on their web sites, saving you a trip back to FLL just to catch your shuttle.

Have a good cruise! :)

Do you know if there is a website like this for Miami?:confused:

If not cruising from Port Everglades we still stay in Ft. Lauderdale & transfer in the morning to the POM. As noted it's only about a 35-40min ride. Have used MJS Transport in the past ( shared ride) and they were excellent! New Mercedes Vans and the rate was $15PP plus a tip for the driver. Their website is gomjstrans@comcast.net

• 4 months later...
We will be cruising out of Miami, but it looks like it is cheaper to fly into FLL and the hotels are cheaper to stay in FLL rather than Miami.

We are looking for a nice, reasonable hotel on the beach in FLL to spend the night prior to our cruise. Are there any hotels on the beach that offer a shuttle service to POM?

As I live close to the ports I haven't needed to find a hotel in Broward County (which is where Fort Lauderdale is). There is another post here that mentions some places to try. Dania Beach is where the port is. Check some hotels there. When you decide on a hotel give them a call and maybe they will even book it for you. I would think they would also suggest some methods of getting from FL airport to Miami port.

Good Luck

We ended up staying at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale beach resort. Shockingly a 2 bedroom suite was cheaper than 2 individual rooms. We ended up having to use QLS shuttle. None of the others would pick us up from the hotel. QLS was great and took us straight to the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my cruise blog:

http://Www.whenshiphappens.com

We ended up staying at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale beach resort. Shockingly a 2 bedroom suite was cheaper than 2 individual rooms. We ended up having to use QLS shuttle. None of the others would pick us up from the hotel. QLS was great and took us straight to the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my cruise blog:

Www.whenshiphappens.com

Thanks for the feedback - hope you had a great cruise! :)

We are considering doing the same thing. Flying in to Ft. Lauderdale but we port out of Miami. My question is could we make a flight home at 10:30 out of Ft. Lauderdale if our boat ports at 8 a.m.? Thanks for your help.

I would never try it for a variety of reasons:

1. Arrival time does not equal earliest disembarkation time.
  2. You need to clear immigration and customs and the length of that line varies depending on how many inspectors are assigned.
  3. You should aim to arrive at FLL at least 90 minutes before flight time (i.e., 9 am) because security lines in the morning at FLL can be out the door (remember you have passengers disembarking from Port Everglades also trying to fly home (10:30 flights are usually doable from Port Everglades although 11:00 or 11:30 is the recommended earliest flight time by many cruise lines).
  4. The trip from Port of Miami to Port Everglades is 45 minutes assuming no traffic delays. The day of the week is important too - with weekdays having rush hour traffic.

Personally, I would be a wreck my entire cruise worrying about making the flight.

Usually the ships is at the port long before 8:00 A.M. but they won't let passengers disembark until a certain time. They usually let people who have to catch early flights off first. As soon as you walk out of the building where the ship has docked there are a whole bunch of taxis waiting circling like sharks after their prey. I don't think it's something to worry about. The ship lines have had many years to figure this stuff out and they have constant contact with the airlines if there is some type of problem that might make you late.

So, sit back, relax and enjoy your cruise (unless you happen to bump into me and then you should run around the decks yelling "I met him, I met him!! And then jump overboard. That's happened many times on the cruises we have taken).

Edited by SoflaSteven

I don't think it's something to worry about. The ship lines have had many years to figure this stuff out and they have constant contact with the airlines if there is some type of problem that might make you late.

Airlines are not like ships that have been known to hold departure time for arriving passengers (that was the announced reason for late departures on at least 3 of our cruises). Airlines at the Fort Lauerdale airport are not going to be concerned about problems with disembarking passengers at the Port of Miami (actually I also doubt they would be concerned about those disembarking at Port Everglades).

Planes are on a tight schedule through out the day - and many of them are on multiple routes. That plane needs to depart on time (official statistics are kept regarding on time departures for each flight) and arrive at its next destination on time or the entire schedule for that plane for the rest of the day could be impacted adversely. The plane would also be taking up real estate sitting at a gate if departure is delayed -- where would the arriving flight assigned to that gate go?

Overwhelming - I think you made a wise decision to search for a later flight. Alternatively if you could find something out of Miami Airport around 10:30 you probably wouldn't have a problem.

Edited by capriccio

Airlines are not like ships that have been known to hold departure time for arriving passengers (that was the announced reason for late departures on at least 3 of our cruises). Airlines at the Fort Lauerdale airport are not going to be concerned about problems with disembarking passengers at the Port of Miami (actually I also doubt they would be concerned about those disembarking at Port Everglades).

Planes are on a tight schedule through out the day - and many of them are on multiple routes. That plane needs to depart on time (official statistics are kept regarding on time departures for each flight) and arrive at its next destination on time or the entire schedule for that plane for the rest of the day could be impacted adversely. The plane would also be taking up real estate sitting at a gate if departure is delayed -- where would the arriving flight assigned to that gate go?

Overwhelming - I think you made a wise decision to search for a later flight. Alternatively if you could find something out of Miami Airport around 10:30 you probably wouldn't have a problem.

capriccio, I would like to apologize for not answering your post right away. There is a strange phenomenon going on, perhaps a glitch, on Cruise Critic. When I go straight to the Roll Call page for the Glory and the Oct. 10th sailing, I don't see your post. Now I find if I click on your post in my email your post is registered as on the site.

You are absolutely right and I see I made a mistake in the way I phrased that. I did have something in mind when I wrote that. It was based on something I was told from a friend in the industry. But I didn't want to mislead anyone with the way I worded that. Thank you for correcting me in your post.